Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

any info. on life after a vigorol ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
onesexydeva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onesexydeva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any info. on life after a vigorol ???
    Posted: July 18 2001 at 6:30pm
I used a vigorol liquid relaxer. Now that I know it contains a chemical called Ammonium Thioglycolate, not the same as your types of chemicals found in our usual perms,no- lye or lye. I was wearing my hair short and wash & wear, now I wanted to go back to straight with those lye and no-lye perms. I have been told "dont do it, because I risk hair damage, due to the diffrent chemicals in the two types of relaxers" I have been told by my own stylist " I can go to a regular relaxer now, because when I did do the vigorol, it did not damage my hair " and last I recieved some infor. that if I used a product called " Pro- Design " mixed with my relaxer, which is supose to stop any damage, by treating with protiens and the things our hair needs . I can go to the traditional relaxers safely.However I can`t find that stuff in stores. Someone , anyone if you have any knowledge on the subject please share with me. Otherwise, I have been told I will just have to let my hair grow out and start fresh, after cutting where the vigorol was at off.

Help !!!!!!!
onesexydeva
Shevette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shevette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2001 at 11:16pm
I can only tell you my experience. Many years ago I decided to go from a relaxer to Wave Nouveau (thio product). The stylist put the straightening part of the WN on my new growth and the back broke off really bad - I got a haircut to hide the damage. After 2 yrs, I tired of the WN and went back to a relaxer. My hair did not fall out, though I don`t remember if the relaxer was applied to all or new growth only. My take is its more damaging to go from relaxer to thio. I say let your hair grow out some & try it on the new growth. If it breaks off, then cut it. :)

Since thio is a milder chemical (lower pH so less stressing to the hair), can`t you just continue using it & blowdry straight? At least you`d have the option to go wash & wear.

Also, I don`t buy mixing something with the relaxer will reduce damage b/c of proteins, etc. It may reduce teh damage since now you`ve got a mixture, but relaxers do some type of damage regardless.
Demi View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2001 at 8:20pm
Reply to message: 15.461.1
I had a vigorol as a child so I don`t know if it was the same kind as they are selling now but I now have a relaxer in my hair but I put it in many years after the fact so the vigoral may have grown out by then. I`m sorry if that didn`t help but I didn`t experience any breakage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic