Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

white ppl with braids?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Curious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: white ppl with braids?
    Posted: December 11 2001 at 12:07am
wot do black ppl think of white people with braids i am white and thinking of getting them and was curious as to what u guys think?
Vy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2001 at 11:54am
Curious,

Some will take offense and say your trying to be black but fuck them. If your smart and do your work, your called a nerd. If your black talking proper english, your trying to act white.
Black females wear their hair blonde. Just look at lil kim. Does that mean their trying to be white? It`s your hair and you can do whatever you want with it. Remember, it`s a free country.
moccagirl22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moccagirl22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2001 at 9:35pm
Reply to message: 15.622.1
When you were a little girl, your mom or female family member braided your hair.

So what if your older and want your hair in braids; your just adding extra hair with your hair, like a weave.

Go for it!
If anyone bothers you, ask them why do they wear weaves!

Moccagirl22
Ldogg View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ldogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2002 at 9:12am
Originally posted by curious curious wrote:

wot do black ppl think of white people with braids i am white and thinking of getting them and was curious as to what u guys think?

You would look retarded. Imaging
Eminem Or Vanilla Ice with them!?
G View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2002 at 7:55am
Sorry, but I have a real problem with white people taking on black hairstyles. Black people had been plaiting their hair for centuries then along comes Bo Derek with canerow in 10 and suddenly it`s cool to have plaits in. The same with make up and a host of other things. White people hijack the best of a non white culture and take it as their own, giving no credit back to the original culture.
What really annoys me is the comments white people come out with about black hair and how sticky it is or by asking do you use Vaseline in your hair. Black hair is really difficult to deal with, these comments make my blood boil, and as for the grief with dreadlocks, not allowed to wear them to school and such, you trying living with black hair for a month and tell me how you want to style it. You don`t try to understand you just make assumptions, not very fair is it?
I think you shoud stick to your wash and go hair.
Kurly1 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurly1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2002 at 4:38pm
Whoa, G, calm down! I have black hair and I`m not black! I`m jewish. The OP might also have really kinky hair as well.

G, I know what your hair is like. I have also been made fun of, etc. And I *know* how hard it is to deal with our tight tight tight curly hair.

I understand how you feel, but then you gotta remember Bo Derek is now about 55 years old! And she still looks great. Better than I do...and I`m younger......(mutter mutter)

Listen I *wish* I had a magic wand to *tame* my hair........I have to deal with this every day, and it`s not easy. Other people just don`t know how hard it is.

OTOH, when you think of celebrities who actually have kinky/super curly hair, like Mariah, Nicole Kidman, Sarah Jessica Parker, most African American celebs, and how so many of them come to awards shows, telly shows with perfect hair, sheesh! I would hate for my hair to be blow dried and straightened every day like they must do.

Someone in another ng put Mariah down for having a full working salon in her home, HEY I know why! She HAS to have that, else the kink will come back!

Nothing wrong with the kink though, but it`s just HARD to deal with EVERY SINGLE DAY!

Thx for listening!

late` View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote late` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2002 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Kurly1 Kurly1 wrote:

Whoa, G, calm down! I have black hair and I'm not black! I'm jewish. The OP might also have really kinky hair as well.

G, I know what your hair is like. I have also been made fun of, etc. And I *know* how hard it is to deal with our tight tight tight curly hair.

I understand how you feel, but then you gotta remember Bo Derek is now about 55 years old! And she still looks great. Better than I do...and I'm younger......(mutter mutter)

Listen I *wish* I had a magic wand to *tame* my hair........I have to deal with this every day, and it's not easy. Other people just don't know how hard it is.

OTOH, when you think of celebrities who actually have kinky/super curly hair, like Mariah, Nicole Kidman, Sarah Jessica Parker, most African American celebs, and how so many of them come to awards shows, telly shows with perfect hair, sheesh! I would hate for my hair to be blow dried and straightened every day like they must do.

Someone in another ng put Mariah down for having a full working salon in her home, HEY I know why! She HAS to have that, else the kink will come back!

Nothing wrong with the kink though, but it's just HARD to deal with EVERY SINGLE DAY!

Thx for listening!

I`m sorry what is your definition of kinky hair? Well I really don`t thing that Mariah has "kinky" hair. When most black people I know referr to kinky hair they are talking about hair that when wet in it`s natural state becomes like a hard brillo pad. Yeah Mariah`s hair might be very curly and mabey even frizzy, but kinky? I don`t think so.
urkelette View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urkelette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2002 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by moccagirl22 moccagirl22 wrote:

Reply to message: 15.622.1
When you were a little girl, your mom or female family member braided your hair.

So what if your older and want your hair in braids; your just adding extra hair with your hair, like a weave.

Go for it!
If anyone bothers you, ask them why do they wear weaves!

Moccagirl22

i like the point you`re making (i think), but one, braids are nothing like a weave unless the braid is one, and two, not every black person wears a weave (if thats what you`re implying), so that is a little crooked, too.
dachick View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dachick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2002 at 3:22am
Originally posted by G G wrote:

Sorry, but I have a real problem with white people taking on black hairstyles. Black people had been plaiting their hair for centuries then along comes Bo Derek with canerow in 10 and suddenly it's cool to have plaits in. The same with make up and a host of other things. White people hijack the best of a non white culture and take it as their own, giving no credit back to the original culture.
What really annoys me is the comments white people come out with about black hair and how sticky it is or by asking do you use Vaseline in your hair. Black hair is really difficult to deal with, these comments make my blood boil, and as for the grief with dreadlocks, not allowed to wear them to school and such, you trying living with black hair for a month and tell me how you want to style it. You don't try to understand you just make assumptions, not very fair is it?

I think that people should not be so racist! Hair has no race.

>>You don`t try to understand you just make assumptions, not very fair is it? <<

Who is making assumptions?

She said nothing about how anyones hair is sticky!

I think, girl, if you wanna have braids-do it! If any girls give you any smack about it, tell `em to **** off.
Nothing ******es me off more when people try to put a race on things; "Oh those are BLACK clothes" or "That`s a white hairdo".
I put my hair in a French Twist for work- I guess I must be trying to be white.

Dachick
Mary Hibbert View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Hibbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2002 at 7:05pm
You are absolutely correct. Women all over the world have worn braids. Why should of us stop now unless it is our choice.

Wear your braids and be proud!

Mary Hibbert
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2002 at 9:31pm
>>>>>>>Sorry, but I have a real problem with white people taking on black hairstyles. Black people had been plaiting their hair for centuries then along comes Bo Derek with canerow in 10 and suddenly it`s cool to have plaits in. The same with make up and a host of other things. White people hijack the best of a non white culture and take it as their own, giving no credit back to the original culture.
What really annoys me is the comments white people come out with about black hair and how sticky it is or by asking do you use Vaseline in your hair. Black hair is really difficult to deal with, these comments make my blood boil, and as for the grief with dreadlocks, not allowed to wear them to school and such, you trying living with black hair for a month and tell me how you want to style it. You don`t try to understand you just make assumptions, not very fair is it?
I think you shoud stick to your wash and go hair. <<<<<<<

like G, i totally agree. but not only that, most white people look, no offence to african/jamaican ethnics, but they look really trampy with it, like they`re really tryinna look hard and cool like a gangsta or somert. I am mixed race, and look very white; yes i admire african/jamaican braided hair, but i wouldnt have it because it wouldnt suit me. it just does not suit white/fair skinned people. unless you are dark skinned, it looks well trampy, like a greebo.
you should, afterall, get a hairstyle that suits you, tat goes with your face shape; n fuk all d people that say "its not a black thing, anyone can have it , its your hair you can do what you want with it", coz ur just stupid.

and another thing, i cried when i say the oscars and heard Halle berries speach....
im not of african/jamaican ethnic, (im mixed race, half english half kurdish) but it really moved me!
---------------x
:Liz_Naz* (",)
Dana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2002 at 3:20pm
Well I`m white and I want braids and ALOT of the white girls in school do braids and cornrows and alot of black hairstyles and In my opinion just put the braids in. Who cares is someone doesn;t like it? Im sure there are people out there who don`t like your hair as it is right now but thats no reason to like go and get it all chopped off. I mean people just have to understand there are gonna be alot of people out there who dont like what you do or how you look but hjonestly, what are they going to do about it? I mean if u put ur hair in braids the worst anyones gonna do is call you some stupid name then move on. And also there will be people out there who will like it... U know some whites will like it some wont, some blacks will like it, some wont. I mean pigtales and french braids arent "Black" hairstyles... I guess they`re "white" ones but black people wear them... And so what Im trying to say is hair really doesnt matter... The black kids at school dont wear their hair in braids but they all compliment the white girls who do so it`s really no big deal. I`d get them no matter how many people insult me. I mean what are they gonna do about it rip my hair out because I wear braids?
23 w/ waist length hair, I just love
mascara.
FionaAppleFan View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaAppleFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2002 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Kurly1 Kurly1 wrote:

Whoa, G, calm down! I have black hair and I'm not black! I'm jewish. The OP might also have really kinky hair as well.

I understand how you feel, but then you gotta remember Bo Derek is now about 55 years old! And she still looks great. Better than I do...and I'm younger......(mutter mutter)

Listen I *wish* I had a magic wand to *tame* my hair........I have to deal with this every day, and it's not easy. Other people just don't know how hard it is.

Nothing wrong with the kink though, but it's just HARD to deal with EVERY SINGLE DAY!

Thx for listening!

I just wanted to say that black people have different hair types and our hair should not be categorized as "black hair". It really sounds ridiculous for other cultures to say that they have "black" hair just because they experience difficulties controlling or taming their hair.
likklejamaicanwhitegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likklejamaicanwhitegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2002 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Dana Dana wrote:

Well I'm white and I want braids and ALOT of the white girls in school do braids and cornrows and alot of black hairstyles and In my opinion just put the braids in. Who cares is someone doesn;t like it? Im sure there are people out there who don't like your hair as it is right now but thats no reason to like go and get it all chopped off. I mean people just have to understand there are gonna be alot of people out there who dont like what you do or how you look but hjonestly, what are they going to do about it? I mean if u put ur hair in braids the worst anyones gonna do is call you some stupid name then move on. And also there will be people out there who will like it... U know some whites will like it some wont, some blacks will like it, some wont. I mean pigtales and french braids arent "Black" hairstyles... I guess they're "white" ones but black people wear them... And so what Im trying to say is hair really doesnt matter... The black kids at school dont wear their hair in braids but they all compliment the white girls who do so it's really no big deal. I'd get them no matter how many people insult me. I mean what are they gonna do about it rip my hair out because I wear braids?

yo,

I get my hair braided alot just beacuse i don`t want to deal with and everywhere I go I get complimets from black, white, whatever people! I`m not really mixed races, white jamaican, cuban and irsh, I have white people hair, curly and blonde and nobody I have ever encountered has had a problem with my hair being braided, like they said before i wish people would stop bringing race into things!!!!especially hair!
PrincessNique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessNique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2002 at 9:47pm
i think you should because if you want to their is nothing to hold you back. if black people can relax their hair and not be called "white wannabes" then white people should be able to braid their hair and not be called "black wannabes".
;) :) ;)
longhairedgirl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2002 at 11:35pm
i thought it was a little outrageous when i was reading a fashion magazine and they said that alicia keys`s braids were "the bo derek look". huh?
caligirl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2002 at 7:14pm
What ever makes you happy , you like braids..............go for it , no one has the right to tell you how to wear your hair , it`s just fashion , if it looks good on you go for it.
Rampalian View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampalian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2002 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Dana Dana wrote:

Well I'm white and I want braids and ALOT of the white girls in school do braids and cornrows and alot of black hairstyles and In my opinion just put the braids in. Who cares is someone doesn;t like it? Im sure there are people out there who don't like your hair as it is right now but thats no reason to like go and get it all chopped off. I mean people just have to understand there are gonna be alot of people out there who dont like what you do or how you look but hjonestly, what are they going to do about it? I mean if u put ur hair in braids the worst anyones gonna do is call you some stupid name then move on. And also there will be people out there who will like it... U know some whites will like it some wont, some blacks will like it, some wont. I mean pigtales and french braids arent "Black" hairstyles... I guess they're "white" ones but black people wear them... And so what Im trying to say is hair really doesnt matter... The black kids at school dont wear their hair in braids but they all compliment the white girls who do so it's really no big deal. I'd get them no matter how many people insult me. I mean what are they gonna do about it rip my hair out because I wear braids?

This is really racist and ridiculous...anyone can have braids, they belong to no race. I am mixed race and have worn braids all the time. Perhaps being black took the edge off, and this is why I didn`t get flack...but still, anyone can have it. Girls, please stop complaining about how difficult our hair is. It`s not difficult...it`s a beautiful gift if you know how to take care of it, and once you do, people will be green with envy. A bit of advice...relaxers are crap, they don`t work, and are really dumb...why do that to yourself...and as for the people who made the Vasilene comments...some girls really look gross, they DO look like they put something gross in their hair. Yuck. Saying black hair is difficult is not an excuse for putting emollients in your hair. Just do as everyone else does and let your hair be. You will be rewarded with gorgeous hair as it SHOULD be. PEACE
Julianni View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julianni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2002 at 9:48pm
there is nothing wrong with white people whereing braids ..as long as you wear them right...me, i am white but i have very extremely curly hair...very kinky....and i be sportin braids all the time...i mean for real if you got the hair then where them..and i dont know what you girls are thinking comeing in here saying you will look trampy...hmm i dont think you would say that to their faces would you ...so for real back up on the hair ...let people deo what they want...stop with the segragating...anyways...if anyone has any ideas for my hair for the prom...hit me back aiight....@ sunrox211@aolcom...Peace
Paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2002 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by G G wrote:

Sorry, but I have a real problem with white people taking on black hairstyles. Black people had been plaiting their hair for centuries then along comes Bo Derek with canerow in 10 and suddenly it's cool to have plaits in. The same with make up and a host of other things. White people hijack the best of a non white culture and take it as their own, giving no credit back to the original culture.
What really annoys me is the comments white people come out with about black hair and how sticky it is or by asking do you use Vaseline in your hair. Black hair is really difficult to deal with, these comments make my blood boil, and as for the grief with dreadlocks, not allowed to wear them to school and such, you trying living with black hair for a month and tell me how you want to style it. You don't try to understand you just make assumptions, not very fair is it?

to words honey " loosen up"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic