Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

**pictures**

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rabia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2002 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Caramela Caramela wrote:

Originally posted by Rabia Rabia wrote:

Carmela,
Your hair looks great. I just bought the Ultra Nourishair vitamin, that you talked about. And I am using Wild Growth Hair Oil. I was wondering what relaxer you were using. I am currently using Affirm. My hair looks smooth and straight during the first week of my relaxer, after that the ends tend to get curly looking, even when I go to the hair dresser for a wash and set. My hair is mid-neck length, and I am trying to grow it out. Do you think it is damaging to have the hair dressers set hair in rollers, then blow dry it with a round brush, the curl it with a curling iron? It looks great my edges are starting to have 1 inch long pixie spikes where the hair has broken from the round brush. What should I do, to get my hair healthy and long? Sorry for all the questions, but your hair length and health is my goal.

I am currently using Motions lye relaxer, I just tried it and I really loved it. I took a chance, b/c I was using Gentle Treatment, no-lye and really loved that, but I love this 10x better. Imagine that! That blowdrying with the round brush is murder on your hair, really, and if you can get her to stop, please do! The curling iron? Now, I know you know better than that, stop putting all that heat on your precious hair girl! I'm little miss anti-curling irons and blowdryers! I suggest either asking your current stylist to accomodate you and if she can't , learn to do your own hair. I do my own, and I save money, headache and hair breakage!

Caramela,
Thanks for the info. I am going to stop my hairdresser from using the brush. Do you relax your hair yourself? My hair is very coarse and has an s-formation, do you think that motions lye would be a good match. Also, what precautions do you take when using a lye relaxer. I think a lye relaxer might be good at getting my hair straight, cause i don`t think it is straight enough. Also, I bought the Ultra Nourishair vitamin, what other additional vitamins do you suggest. I also heard that drinking a lot of water helps your hair to grow, do you drink lots of water, if so how much is sufficient. Thanks, hope to hear from you soon. You can also email me at AprilQT18@aol.com.
True beauty is only found within.
Rabia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2002 at 9:38am
Caramela,
Thank you for the info. Do you relax your hair yourself with the lye relaxer, if so what extra precautions should be taken when using such a strong relaxer? Do you feel your hair has been straighter since switching to a lye relaxer? My natural hair is an s-formation and is very course, which causes me to have to relax my hair every 4-to 5 weeks, do you think that is too soon for a lye relaxer. I bought, and have been using the Ultra Nourishair vitamins, that you suggested, what other vitamins are you taking and are you taking them in one vitamin or separately. Thanks for your help. You can also email me at AprilQT18@aol.com
Rabia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2002 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Caramela Caramela wrote:

You're right, about hair being more complex than imagined. B/c before I started learning about hair care on the internet, I had a lot of misconceptions and misinformation. I used a regular relaxer. I worked nicely. I'm glad to hear that you like the vitamins, along with helping your hair grow, they add overall health benefits as well. Happy growing.

Caramela,
Thank you for all your help. I will stop the brushing with the hair dryer. About the motions lye relaxer, did you find that it made your hair straighter, do you have more breakage and shedding with it, and does it burn the scalp a lot? My hair naturally has a coarse s-formation, therefore I have to relax my hair frequently, about every 4 to 5 weeks, is this okay with such a strong relaxer? Also I bought the Ultra Nourishair vitamins by GNC, what other vitamins do you recommend or is this enough? You can email me at AprilQT18@aol.com. Thanks a bunch.
Caramela View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caramela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2002 at 7:32pm
Don`t think that a lye relaxer is any stronger than a no-lye relaxer. It`s not. They both probably have the same strength but both use 2 different straightening chemicals. Lye relaxers sodium hydroxide and no-lye relaxers use a calcium based straightener. The lye relaxer is actually less drying to the hair. My hair isn`t straighter than a no-lye, but it f e e l s different. It has more movement, more bounce, more life. You shouldn`t strive for bone straight hair anyway. But it does straighten hair a little faster than a no-lye. I also had to work less, less combing and smoothing, than with a no-lye. I got no scalp burns, and no more breakage or shedding than what is normal. Relax hair when needed, wether it`s with a lye or no-lye relaxer. And again, lye is no STRONGER than no-lye, they just use different straightening agents.
I love the ultranourishair. I hope you like it. When I first started taking vitamins I took that, msm and evening primrose oil. Those are good starters. Biotin, horsetail and flaxseed oil, and calcium are good too. And don`t forget a multivitamin, you need that for overall health, not just your hair.
Hope this info helps.
Rabia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2002 at 9:24am
Caramela,
Do you take all of those vitamins separately, or is there a multi-vitamin that has all of them? What brand of vitamins do you buy? Secondly, do you know how much msm and biotin is necessary? Ultra nourish has 500mg of msm is that enough, or should i use an additional supplement?
Caramela View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caramela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2002 at 6:32pm
All the vitamins come separately. I buy different brands of vitamins. Not just one. I take 2000 mg of msm and there is another 500mg in my ultranourish. Biotin I take an addtl 1200mcg plus my ultranourish has 1200mcg. I know other people take more, but that`s good enough for me. You body will excrete what you don`t need.
Rabia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2002 at 12:38pm
Caramela,
How many milligrams of the other vitamins are you taking and how many times a day?
celena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2002 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Teresa Teresa wrote:

Hey Carmela,
I checked out your pictures, they look great. I was wondering, what are flexi-rods & how do you use them. I have naturally curly hair w/tight ringlets an inch below my chin. I've been trying to think of ways to get my curls a couple of perm-rod sizes larger (like a quarter wide). If you or anyone reading this has a suggestion let me know, thanks.
Teresa
tresa80@hotmail.com

Yes, I would like to know what flexi rods are too. I looked around at the beauty supply store and only found long perm rods (they are like a hard rubber material long and hollow and one end fastens into the other end forming a circle after you`re done rolling your hair) the attendant never heard of flexirods, are flexirods like perm rods or are they something entirely different? And how many do you use? Please let me know because that hair style is gorgeous, I love the curly look but the only way I can achieve this is to air dry my hair(which gives it a crinkle look and can get poofy sometimes--Yes I do have a perm) or to use a curling iron(which I stopped doing a while ago because it is too much heat). I`d appreciate a response. Thank you for even more inspiration to keep growing and taking good care of my hair!!!
celena
sb View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2002 at 1:16pm
Caramela,
when you did those conition only washes every three days. How did you style your hair?
Caramela View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caramela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2002 at 8:45am
1. I take 1000 mg flaxseed oil, 1300 mg evening primrose oil, and 1000 mg silica. I try to break the dosages in half and take it twice a day so my body has a steady supply of the vitamins.

2.Flexirods are long rods, varying in size that have a plastic foam covering over a thick wire which make them flexible, hence the term flexi rods.

3. When I did conditioner only washes, I did a twist out. Meaning I flat twisted my hair straight back in 4-6 rows and let it air dry. When I took it out, my hair was very wavy.
s View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2002 at 10:04am
Thanks Caramela,

what are the benefits of the conitioner only washes, and the results also, for how long did you continue to do them.
Caramela View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caramela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2002 at 1:31pm
Conditioner only washes allow hair to retain moisture, constant moisture is great for the hair. And if you are wetting the hair every other day or every 3 days, your hair will thank you. I think it cleanses the hair just as effectively as shampoo, but is no where near as harsh. Your hair is going to be soft, moisturized and conditioned. It`s going to respond to the moisture with hearty growth. I did them for about a month and a half, after that, the growth was just too much to continue with it. Next month, though, I will do it again.
s View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2002 at 4:22pm
Caramela, do you put any oil in your hair... between the conditioner only washes. I just want to make sure I do it right.
Caramela View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caramela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2002 at 9:20pm
Yes, absolutely. Oil is your friend! Put a generous amount onto wet hair to help seal in the moisture.
Rabia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2002 at 9:34am
Caramela,
How many times a week do you wash your hair with conditioner only washes. And what conditioners do you use. Do you still use a leave in conditioner. When you do regular washes, what shampoo do you use. How often do you wash your hair regularly. I`m thinking about washing my hair when it starts losing the wrap and bounce. Thanks girl.
Caramela View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caramela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2002 at 6:03am
I did the conditioner only washes every other day or every 2 days, I find this keeps the hair most moisturized w/o drying it out. I`ve had the best success with Suave`s coconut conditioner, and it`s so cheap. That`s what everyone else I know who does conditioner washes uses. (Suave conditioners) And yes, I still use a leavin, I like creamy ones vs the water based ones. Try Paul Mitchell`s "the cream" ( or you can get an off brand rendition at Sally`s like I did, works just as well and it`s cheaper) Normally I wash my hair 1x a week in the cooler months, 2x a week in the hotter months. I use Motions Cpr shampoo and conditioner, Aubrey Organics Island butter shampoo and conditioner or Jason Naturals Sea Kelp shampoo and conditioner. Hope this info helps.
Rabia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2002 at 10:59am
Caramela,
Can you do conditioner only washes, and set hair on rollers for a wet set afterwards?
Caramela View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caramela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2002 at 5:47pm
You sure can, you can style as usual. I normally do a twist set and air dry. When I undo the twists in the morning, I have really nice, deep waves. If you want to spend the time to roller set, it will come out fine, but I just prefer to keep it simple.
You will probably want to do conditioner only washes more often than a regular shampoo, so you might get tired of roller setting every other day or every 3 days. It`s up to you though.
allrighthair View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allrighthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2002 at 8:09pm
Not to sound weird or anything but you have beautiful hair and a nice face do you do any modeling?
Caramela View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caramela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2002 at 8:35pm
No, I don`t. It`s nice of you to say, thank you. It has been mentioned to me before, but that`s not where my heart is. I don`t think modeling is for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic