Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! RELAXING VIRGIN HAIR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reshondae2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reshondae2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! RELAXING VIRGIN HAIR
    Posted: August 01 2002 at 12:22pm
I HAVENT HAD A RELAXER IN A YEAR AND I AM TRULY READY TO GET IT RELAXED AGAIN. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO TO MY HAIR, IM AFRAID TO PUT IN ANY TYPE OF RELAXER BECAUSE I DONT KNOW HOW MY HAIR IS GOING TO REACT. SO CAN ANYONE OUT THERE GIVE ME ANY TYPE OF ADVICE FOR GETTING A VIRGIN PERM, LIKE THE DO`S AND THE DONT`S?
karonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2002 at 1:07pm
How much new growth do you have? Is all of it virgin, or are the ends still relaxed? Are you seriously ready to go back to the relaxer after so long??? Whatever you do, think about it so you don`t regret it later. Okay, here are my suggestions:

1. I strongly recommend that you get this relaxer professionally done by a qualified stylist. Why? Because they may be able to apply the perm correctly without overdoing it, or not doing it enough. You may not need perm on your ends, although it may be a good idea to let a little run over it, since you haven`t had a relaxer in so long. That way, all of your hair will be the same texture. And besides, once the perm has been put in, the stylist can then hook you up with a cute style to show off your new look.

2. Also, I recommend that you let a stylist put the perm in because when you put your own perm in, it makes your arms TIRED! Now, if you haven`t had a perm in a year, you will definitely have some work to do. You would have to make sure that the perm has touched every piece of new growth in your hair or otherwise, you WON`t be satisfied. I know when I used to put perms in my own head, there was always some pieces that I missed and while some hair would be straight, when I stuck my fingers near my scalp, there was always a patch somewhere with the wavy roots!

3. Check the date on it, if it has one. Wouldn`t want an old perm, because it might not be as effective.

4. If you decide to do it at home, make sure you read ALL of the directions.

5. Make sure that the perm is for your hair texture. I wouldn`t buy a mild perm if I knew my hair was very course. Now, I wouldn`t buy a super perm if my hair was thin, either.

6. My best policy is to always do some research. That`s why I love the internet. I`m sure that you can find some sites that have consumer comments on them. I like those because I get to read what other people think of the product before I buy it. I`m not saying that you can always trust them. But, if I read that 10 people said that So and So perm broke all of their hair off, chances are that I wouldn`t go near it in the store.

Good luck!!!
Natural since Nov 6, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reshondae2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2002 at 3:37pm
Well, I was going to go to a professional anyway, because I know good and well that I couldnt do it myself(LOL). So is there anything I need to do to my hair before I go and get the perm so that I wont have anything go wrong?
karonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2002 at 4:04pm
Well, try not to wash your hair 3 days or less before heading to the salon. But it is good to wash it though. Say if you were going to the salon on a Saturday, it may be a good idea to wash it the previous Saturday, but definitely nothing after Wednesday!! The reason being that the perm will burn like heck because when you wash it, you are bothering the scalp. In case you don`t remember, that perm burning is the WORST feeling, especially when you know that the stylist hasn`t even worked the perm into half your head yet and you gotta sit through it for a long while. ARRRGGGGHHHHH! So you don`t want your scalp to be irritated before heading to the salon.

Let`s see, what else? Mainly, you just want to avoid anything that could cause your scalp to itch. Because goodness knows that if you scatch, especially 48 hours before the perming, chances are, it`s gonna tingle somewhere. I am never lucky. I have yet to experience one perm when I haven`t felt a bit of a tingle. Some times are better than others. You just have to be aware because sometimes, we`re scratching our heads and don`t even know it.

Let`s see what else? Maybe you can try to have a lot of the tangles out before you go, because some hairdressers have low tolerance for tangles and if she tries to comb the tangles out right before the touch-up, chances are that her combing could irritate your scalp, which would then cause the perm to tingle, if not burn.

Oh yeah, and tell her that you haven`t had a perm in a year. So that way she`ll know how to apply it.
Oh, and make sure that your hair isn`t dry and brittle. Wouldn`t want it to break off from the strongness of the relaxer.
Natural since Nov 6, 2004
reshaye04 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reshaye04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2002 at 2:46pm
Ok Thanks a lot. Im taking your advice at heed. God Bless.
Kimmi View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2002 at 12:30pm
I`m curious to know why you decided to go back from your natural state to relaxing again?...I`m in the BEGINNING process of letting my relaxer grow out so that i can return to the natural state....I`d like to know what`s in store for me.... :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reshondae2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2002 at 3:24pm
Well, the reason is because my natural hair is not pretty at all. It`s real nice and thick but the texture of it is very dry and unmanageable. It can`t hold any kind of moisture and it breaks off because it has no moisture. I decided to get my hair pressed and that seemed to never last but 2 hours. I couldnt do anything active because I couldnt sweat. I play a lot of sports and I cant go around like that. I kept braids in for a whole year and that really really helped my hair grow, but Im ready to move on to something new. I mean if your natural hair isn`t this type of texture I would suggest you go natural, but to me, if you decide to go natural and get your hair pressed it`s seems to be more of a hassle to me and It`ll just be better off getting a relaxer.(Especially if your an active person)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic