Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The keys to black hair growth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Princess123 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The keys to black hair growth
    Posted: September 02 2002 at 6:53pm
This message is for all women out there who have struggled to grow long hair with little success. For years I was unable to get my hair past a certain length. I tried seemingly everything imaginable. The truth is, nothing that comes in a bottle and promises to grow hair can make your hair grow, otherwise you would not be researching this topic. Braids provided growth, however often is accompanied by breakage down the line if not properly cared for. This is due to the "fake" hair rubbing against out sensitive and naturally dry hair. Here are my tips from experience:

1. Wash hair at LEAST once a week, focusing particularly on the scalp...where the oil, dirt and whatnot buildup. Often blacks let this tip go

2. Keep products with alcohol off of your hair! Gels are notorious for this as are certain hairsprays.

3. Do not brush your hair. Brushing hair is literally ripping the hair off of the head. Use a seamless comb instead and only when necessary. Take a comb with seams along the teeth and look at it under a microscope...a seam is like tiny plastic razors ripping at your delicate hairs.

4. It is NOT necessary to "grease the scalp" rather this causes stunted growth by clogging the pores. The sebaceous glands below your scalp provide all the oil your hair needs. Rather the hair strands itself are what need MOISTURE MOISTURE MOISUTRE (tip 5). "Wonder Gro Hair Oil" is WONDERFUL for this

5.Use a hair serum to smooth the cuticle of the hair.

6. Tie hair up at night in a silk night cap or scarf. Try not to sleep on cotton products directly as they snag and pull at the hair.

7. Dispell the myths: Black hair can grow as fast as any other race of people. Before worrying about styles and looks, take care of the health of the hair.

8. Vitamins are wonderful to take, but remember that a very small percentage of those taken actually are absorbed into the vessels below the scalp. Many are dispelled thru urine or burned throughout the body.

9. Deep condition at least once a week, it is vital to the health of the hair

10. Stick with one relaxer brand, and dont let your stylist jump around on you with this one. Be adamant
Best wishes.
Beautiful1 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beautiful1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2002 at 6:50pm
There`s some good info in your post! Where did you find it?
bryanssong View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanssong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2002 at 4:26pm
this is good info.

What i found that worked for me was moisture my hair desperately needed it. I`m teased all the time for using
s- curl moisturizer on my natural hair. but i don`t care because that STUFF WORKS!!! my hair has grown to a length that i thought was unobtainable and its still growing.

I also take vits. and drink A LOT of water.
Pirncess123 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirncess123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2002 at 4:45pm
How is your hair? i`m just wondering
No1chyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No1chyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2002 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by bryanssong bryanssong wrote:

this is good info.

What i found that worked for me was moisture my hair desperately needed it. I'm teased all the time for using
s- curl moisturizer on my natural hair. but i don't care because that STUFF WORKS!!! my hair has grown to a length that i thought was unobtainable and its still growing.

where can i find these specific hair vitamins?
melloyello
princess123 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2002 at 4:50pm
We reply almost the same time. COOL HUH?
look at the time when we repled
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanssong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2002 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by No1chyk No1chyk wrote:

this is good info.

What i found that worked for me was moisture my hair desperately needed it. I'm teased all the time for using
s- curl moisturizer on my natural hair. but i don't care because that STUFF WORKS!!! my hair has grown to a length that i thought was unobtainable and its still growing.

where can i find these specific hair vitamins?

I take

vitol great hair
biotin
msm
evening primrose
flaxseed
panothenic acid
silica

liquid amino fuel

all that i buy from vitaglo.com
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanssong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2002 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Pirncess123 Pirncess123 wrote:

How is your hair? i'm just wondering

i`m loc`d, but i obtained growth before i decided to loc my hair.

Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanssong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2002 at 7:14pm
i forgot to add.

I had to cut my hair before i loc`d because while my hair was growing the perm i had was destroying it.
Tanajc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanajc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2002 at 12:23pm
Can you recommend a "cuticle sealer" by name? I want to incorporate this into my regime before blow drying (only when pressed for time!)
Lika564 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lika564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2002 at 10:09pm
I agree with all of the suggestions posted here and would like to add a couple of personal favorites.

I think that if a person feels they really need to oil their scalp, pure jojoba oil is an excellent choice. It penetrates the scalp rather than sitting on it and the hair and does not clog the pores like other oils.

I also think a product called Hennalucent is excellent. I prefer to use the neutral color but sometimes like to use the Sunset Glow to add reddish highlights to my gray strands. It acts as an excellent deep conditioner. It adds a beautiful shine and richness to my natural hair color. It looks and feels very healthy and I have noticed that my hair has less breakage and doesn`t look dull and dry while this product is on it. It lasts approximately 6 to 8 weeks, depending upon when you have your hair retouched. My hair is soft yet still has body. My hair feels like mink after using it. I apply it about a week after I`ve had my hair retouched but the product states that it`s safe to use it the same day you have your hair relaxed.

Just my little input. Hopefully it will work for others also.
lsimon
tgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 2:08pm

this is good info.

What i found that worked for me was moisture my hair desperately needed it. I`m teased all the time for using
s- curl moisturizer on my natural hair. but i don`t care because that STUFF WORKS!!! my hair has grown to a length that i thought was unobtainable and its still growing.

what does the s-curl moisturizer bottle look like?

Nita81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nita81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 8:08pm

Wow this topic is old.....

Here's a pic of the s-curl

http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/scunodractmo.html

Edited by Nita81
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 3:04pm
I really don't believe that, our scalp doesn't produce as much oil as our White counterparts so we have to conpensate and put additional oil on our scalps to keep it well oiled. I will say that the products that you put directly on your scalp should not contain petroleum or mineral oil. Just my 2 cents, thanks for the info

Originally posted by Princess123 Princess123 wrote:

4. It is NOT necessary to "grease the scalp" rather this causes stunted growth by clogging the pores. The sebaceous glands below your scalp provide all the oil your hair needs. Rather the hair strands itself are what need MOISTURE MOISTURE MOISUTRE (tip
Hair album
pw:Romeo
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 6:54pm

Adding liquid aloe vera or aloe vera juice to my conditioners  has helped a lot since i have hard water.

Using a daily spritz of glycerin/aloe vera/distilled water/rosemary oil for moisture.

Adding glycerin to my conditioners- it helps with the hard water issue to.

Using rosemary oil- this definitely stimulates growth.

Deep conditioning with heat for 45-1 hour weekly.

And those vitamins don't hurt either- currently taking cod liver oil, vitamin e, vitamin b & c combo, flaxseed oil, bee pollen , alfalfa and a multivitamin.

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic