Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BAD HAIR BREAKAGE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shawanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BAD HAIR BREAKAGE
    Posted: September 30 2003 at 2:10pm
Hello Everyone,

I am an African American woman andI am having really bad hair breakage in the back. I dont know what is going on. I am not sure if its the perm because I go to the hair salon. They use Revlon. Can anyone give me suggestions on what I can do at home. Thanks
Kay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 2:11pm
Hello, I am also African American, I have 2 girls. At one time I used a lot of relaxers for Afro American hair I find that Revlon is best relaxer for my girls hair their hair is much healthier than before. When I relax their hair I follow with a egg and olive oil conditioner.

There are great recepies on this website for homemade egg conditioner treatments. I am glad to see so many people using egg and olive oil in their hair. I think it works great, and believe me I have tried every fancy shampoo, and conditioner.

Egg adds protein back into the hair. Rinse with cool to lukewarm water not hot water. The hair will feel hard I usually pour detalgler through their hair or you can use your favorate conditoner. No special detalgner I buy mine from the Dollar Store - works great - put some olive oil in the detangler to make your hair shiny. And add some to the ends while styling, this will help to control split ends.

Also try not to use a lot of gel or hard hairspray on your hair. They tend to make you hair hard and the ends will break when you comb your hair. Try to wash out the hairspray and gel often. Check this website for hot oil treatments using olive oil on this website. I intend to try a few myself. Let me know if my advice helps. My advice on hairdressers, get one that does not over it with the spritz, gell and hairspray. Your hair looks pretty while you are there but after a few days it starts to get hard, you start to comb it out and the ends of your hair starts breaking.
Mermaid0684 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mermaid0684 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2003 at 12:11pm
Shawanda, how long is your hair?
shawanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 1:55pm
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try your technique. My hair is a little past my shoulders until it start breaking really bad in the back.
Mermaid0684 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mermaid0684 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 7:04am
Your hair could be breaking off because of your ends. They are the oldest part of your hair and require a lot of tender loving care. Moisture is one of the key elements. Try olive oil creme by organic root stimulator (in the bottle not the jar). Try protective styling like buns. They protect your ends from the elements such as sun, wind , and the air in general. Also take a look at the ingredents of your hair care products. Try to stay away from products that are petroleum and mineral oil free. Both are harsh on the hair and besides, petroleum is a by product of gasoline. Why apply something like that onto your hair???

HTH
Covering bra-strap and longer by May '04

shawanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 9:28am
Thanks for the advice. I am not using Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner for Women of Color. I just got a touch up and I used Gentle Treatment. Do anyone know if these products are any good?
shawanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 9:55am
Correction to Previous Posts: I am using Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner.
Katriannal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katriannal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 2:41pm
pantene isn't a gud thing to use in ur hair it is veryyy drying for already dry hair it does not good the conditioner also just builds up on the hair which also isn't a gud thing at all. try optimum care i have heard very gud stuff bout it and its not very expensive.. hope that helps.. :)
diamondprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 1:16pm
Try Elasta QP Mango Butter!
DiamondPrincess   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic