Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I have straight hair, but I want afro type hair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I have straight hair, but I want afro type hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
D Mac View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 6:35am
Originally posted by DeD PreZ DeD PreZ wrote:

ok heres the deal, this is how i turn my straight hair very nappy looking and it only takes about 10 minutes. i have straight hair and always wanted nappy hair. all i do is grow my hair at least 2 and a half inches long then i get it dry as possible then take my hand and use the palm of my hand and use tight circles on my hair. i pretty much press so hard that i can feel heat on my scalp. i start from the hairline to the back then i fill in areas. you must do this very hard and very fast to work. you know when to stop when the hair is very nappy. it looks very natural. i have gone from very straight hair to this. i am half black to begin with so it looks natural. i usually brush it after to get a good shape to it. i wish i had pics cus it looks very natural. the only downside is it does a number on your hair, but shampoo and condition every day and youll be fine. if you dont know what i mean by my technique just ask and ill re explain. there is definately a finess to it.

Could I like put something in my hair after I do this to make it like stay for a while with out having to do all that all over again....lets say...kinda like a dry perm...

Or would not washing my hair for like a week with my hair in the "nap" state train my hair to be somewhat curly and stay for a longer period?
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2004 at 3:00am
well everyone should appreciate the hair they were born with no matter what ethnicity they are.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Passin thru View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passin thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2004 at 4:34am
Beyonce hair styles??? Beyonce's hair is a nappy weave. Personally, I think Aaliyah had better hair. But that's just me, I guess.

And I'm assuming that you're not black or female, so I have a question. Would you seriously even consider dating a female with some nappy a$$ hair? Somehow, I doubt it.
BANGIN PAPI View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANGIN PAPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Passin thru Passin thru wrote:

Okay, I'm just passin thru, but I had to comment on this. I honestly can't understand for the life of me why ANYBODY would intentionally want nappy hair. Yall are lucky. Yall should appreciate the fact that yall got straight hair. There are so many people who would kill to have yalls hair and go thru the drama of perms and pressing combs and flat irons. Yall should appreciate the fact that yall were lucky enough to be born with straight hair.

Nuh uh I totally have the total oppisite of what you think.... Nappy/Kinky/Curly hair that African-Americans have or some that have African-American are so lucky, With that kind of hair you can do anything with it, get it straightened,Jerry Curls with just S-Curl, Afro,easy to do corn rows/dreads all the other Beyonce hair styles the females like...But with straight hair like mine all I can do is just leave it straight or curtain hair cuts to make it different, if I want an afro I have to go through the embarrassment of going to a beauty salon to get a perm and it doesnt even look natural, I can't get them Jerry curls or any of those.

So i'd say love your nappy-natural hair you were blessed!
Passin thru View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passin thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 11:50pm
Okay, I'm just passin thru, but I had to comment on this. I honestly can't understand for the life of me why ANYBODY would intentionally want nappy hair. Yall are lucky. Yall should appreciate the fact that yall got straight hair. There are so many people who would kill to have yalls hair and go thru the drama of perms and pressing combs and flat irons. Yall should appreciate the fact that yall were lucky enough to be born with straight hair.
seasweet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 6:28pm
the blowout kit is designed to make your hair LOOSER and straighter. to coil your hair up you need what straighties and curlies call a "poodle perm" or something.

i actually think its cute that straighties want naps! so many folks just hate naptural hair
be careful... life is bitter sweet. we are living in a world of hate

http://www.napturalglory.com

thick naptural hair worn in twists, flat twists, or bantu knots. products: organic refined coconut oil and hair tea.

JESUS Rules!
drangonfly7462 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drangonfly7462 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2004 at 2:18am
your crazy i have black nappy hair and would kill to have it nice and straight
GUEST 5 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST 5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2004 at 9:23pm
This blow kit sounds useful, where can i get it?
Shawn.E.W View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn.E.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2004 at 2:23pm
It would probely give you a fro but most likely your fro would have a part in the middle and it would fall to the side(my hair does that too).
LatinoHeat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinoHeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2004 at 8:13pm
BTW... sorry about the reposts....kept saying 501 error or something and I kept posting...
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinoHeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2004 at 7:30pm
ShawnEW....about that blow out kit, Im not African American nor have African American hair type, I actully have the thick straight asian type hair, But Im wondering if that blow out kid will work on my type of hair and make it go afro'y

Thanks
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinoHeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2004 at 6:26pm
ShawnEW....about that blow out kit, Im not African American nor have African American hair type, I actully have the thick straight asian type hair, But Im wondering if that blow out kid will work on my type of hair and make it go afro'y

Thanks
ShawnEW View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShawnEW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2004 at 12:21pm
really you should stay with straight hair because it gives you more hangtime on the ends of your braids(if u get them) which is good but if u still want to get afro type get a blowout kit itll leave your hair strait but itll be up like a fro.Ive been having braids for a year now and now i want my hair straight

Kit- http://www.allurebeautysupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=509

Grease(helps grow faster)- http://www.allurebeautysupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=254

i use both of them
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinoHeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2004 at 11:58pm
lol, I too thought Ded Prez was foolin around, but I actully tried it, and it worked, my hair is only like an inch and a half at most, im wonderin if you could use this technique the longer your hair gets to make a bigger fro, cause I would love to have the really nappy fro ben wallace has
partymom2mom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partymom2mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2004 at 10:35pm
Lol at first I too thought you (DeDPrez) were kidding or being a bit of a smart a-- (sorry, but I did). As I kept reading, I kept laughing- saying to myself, "is he really serious" lmao. Anyway, Hope it works for ya Guest5
DeD PreZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeD PreZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2004 at 1:47pm
if possible could i see pics of the results im kinda curious how it would turn out on other people cus so far im the only person i know of that has done this.
smoked out
DeD PreZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeD PreZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2004 at 1:43pm
no problem i should patent this idea cus im a genius. to answer you no it will not stay. it will only stay till you wash your hair. also you MUST wash your hair every time you do this or your hair will be damaged and start to get very brittle. i used to do this then still shower but keep a cap on to keep it from getting wet but after a while i would wake up and my pillow case would be full of damaged hair. as long as you shampoo and condition it will be alright. after a while you willl get a finess to it, the first time i figured out how to do this it did not look anyweres as good as after i been doin it for a while. but glad to help any otha info id be glad to help.
smoked out
GUEST 5 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST 5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2004 at 11:17pm
But another question for you, like will it stay, if not what do I have to do to make it stay, not wash it for a while, and if it does stay will it pack in when it grows out more?
GUEST 5 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST 5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2004 at 10:53pm
At first I thought you were kidding, but this technique really does work, I have been searching all over the net how to get this kind of hair and came across no results THANKS! ALOT!
DeD PreZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeD PreZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2004 at 9:22pm
ok heres the deal, this is how i turn my straight hair very nappy looking and it only takes about 10 minutes. i have straight hair and always wanted nappy hair. all i do is grow my hair at least 2 and a half inches long then i get it dry as possible then take my hand and use the palm of my hand and use tight circles on my hair. i pretty much press so hard that i can feel heat on my scalp. i start from the hairline to the back then i fill in areas. you must do this very hard and very fast to work. you know when to stop when the hair is very nappy. it looks very natural. i have gone from very straight hair to this. i am half black to begin with so it looks natural. i usually brush it after to get a good shape to it. i wish i had pics cus it looks very natural. the only downside is it does a number on your hair, but shampoo and condition every day and youll be fine. if you dont know what i mean by my technique just ask and ill re explain. there is definately a finess to it.
smoked out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic