Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Afros

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Afros
    Posted: September 13 2004 at 11:31am
either learn how to make braids or find someone u know to do them.
Miatch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 7:48am
how do I do my hair in 8 big plats all over my head? wouldn't that take like 30 minutes? And who can I get to do it?
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 4:14pm
Braiding it in plaits save time cause when you wake up you wont be detangling it ( which helps save hair instead of losing alot) and you just take the plaits down and just pick it out in the morning and you have a fro.

It don't seem like you don't believe some of the people on the site who have fros themselves. hmmm
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 10:40am
not little ones. big ones. like 8 or something depending on how thick your hair is.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Miatch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 3:04am
how is braiding it in little plaits going to save time?
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 1:35am
your hair do not have to be long to do that. You have enough to do that from the picture.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Miatch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 12:21am
I don't think my hair isn't long enough to just braid, like plaits..
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 12:04am
Ok u know people get braids and people get cornrows. Well just get the braids not cornrows.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Miatch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 10:21pm
I dun get what you mean.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 12:41pm
naptural= natural

yeah just regular braids...not into a style or attached to the head. Just braid it up don't matter if they stick up or not.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 10:26am
Don't cornrow it at night just do big singles or if you do just get a few big ones just to keep it from tangling.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Miatch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 9:35am
I would braid my hair up at night and then take it out the next day, that's a good idea, but theres a couple of problems.

First off, the only person that can and will do my hair is my friends sister, who is usually always busy. Plus it takes 2 hours for her to do my hair, and she says doing mine is harder and sorta frustrating... Would straightening my hair a bit make it easier??
Second, My mom is going to learn how to cornrow, but I doubt she'll spend over an hour a night just braiding my hair so I can take it out the next day for my Afro to look good... she works 6 days a week and is tired when she gets home.

Third, My hair is stretched when its unbraided so it hangs down and doesn't look as afro-ish.

And Fourth, I lose quite a bit of hair when its braided and taken out... I've only done it once and hair came out but Im not sure if it will do it each time to the state that I'll have patches all over my head...

BTW, what does Naptural mean?
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 11:00am
Well, Alot of people braid their hair up at night. Then when they wake up they just take the braids out and shape it with their fingers or a pick. It would probably take less time to create the fro if you do that and there will be less tangles.

Miatch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 2:19am
But isn't combing it up everyday bad for it? I do lose quite a bit of hair each time I comb it up, not that it's noticable...
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2004 at 3:19am
Well to make it less painful or no pain at all try to put conditioner in your hair and while you are washing it out in the shower use a wide tooth comb and this will get the tangles out and slip through it nicely.

You have to understand that our natural hair are curls/coils they are all the same. But the combs are straight there are no twists and turns in combs just like our hair. So when you apply conditioner it will add some slippage for the comb, try suave conditioners or something cheap.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

seasweet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 6:10pm
in the 70's afros were a trend. lots of folk actually used (mild) relaxers to make their fros look bigger. it was about the look and the statement it made.

wearing your natural afro everyday can be difficult. that's why there are so many protective/afrocentric styles for naptural hair. consider wearing your hair styled at least half of the time so you don't have to think about the shape flattening when you sleep or tangling or knotting or having to comb daily which is damaging. try 2 strand twists or flat twists or bantu knots or any combination of such styles.
be careful... life is bitter sweet. we are living in a world of hate

http://www.napturalglory.com

thick naptural hair worn in twists, flat twists, or bantu knots. products: organic refined coconut oil and hair tea.

JESUS Rules!
Miatch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 9:13am
Hey ya'll,
I just wanted to know if anyone knew any techniques or ways to keep your Afro looking good without having to constantly comb it and making sure it doesn't hit anything so it flattens, and all that sort of stuff. Cause I have Very Kinky, Natural hair, and if I don't comb it up for a week or two it naturally dreads itself a little bit... And I've been combing it up lately, it took about 40 minutes in the shower to get all the dreads and knots out with the comb, and it looks pretty big and cool, but it's just that each time I go to sleep, I wake up with the sides being totally flat, and then I need to spend another 20 - 30 minutes in the shower the next morning getting out the knots that were developed the previous night... Painful...

Seriously peeps is there any way to make it easier? I mean when Afros were popular in the 70s or whatever did every person of African Descent need to go through this to keep it looking good?

If anyone knows anything, please tell me... thanks.

Peace Out,
Miatch.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic