Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Natural Hair & Braids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kim J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural Hair & Braids
    Posted: November 28 2004 at 10:04am
I have extremely thick course hair that is fairly long. I stopped getting relaxers about a year and 1/2 ago due to the damage and my hair is chemical free. Sometimes I blow dry it straignt and use a flat iron in between getting braids. I was told that it is not necessary to trim your hair when you have braids. Has anyone heard of this? Also, can anyone reccomend something to put in natural hair after washing it and before blow dring to keep it from drying out? I have also noticed that the back is much longer than the sides making my hair unevn all around. I wonder if I am doing anything to cause this
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 11:21am
if your hair is just uneven, you do not necessarily have to trim it. You can trim it to even it up if you wish. However you should trim if you are experiencing dry ,brittle, thin ends, breakage or excessive shedding. I would reccomend trimming every 12 weeks whether you braid your hair or not. I am natural as well. The longest i have held out from trimming was 5 months but i think my limit will now be 12 weeks- better results that way. Also try natural hair butters such as mango butter, cocoa butter or avocado butter for the blow drying thing. I get mine from www. cedarvale.net click on soap making ingredients, then click on butters. i ordered a pound each of mango, avocodo and cocoa butter. Ok hope this helps.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Kim J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 10:15pm
Thanks for the info carameldiva.. .I am going to try using a butter with my next blow dry. What texture is your hair and what is your regime for washing and generally care? Do you every use a flat iron? I'm think about purchsing the maxiglide after seeing the buzz in the posts concerning it. I usiually have a hard time handling my hair inbetween getting braids especially since I have such a full head of it...Any advice or help is appreciated from all ...
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2004 at 6:29am
i would think that i am a 3c with tight corkscrews prone to dryness if not properly conditioned and moisturized. My hair is superduper thick as well. I condition wash daily with aussie knot forgotten or ausie 3 minute miracle. I shampoo 2x a week with biojoba shampoo by joico, aussie mega shampoo, aussie moist shampoo, Generic paul mitchell tea tree special shampoo. I condition with altima conditioner by joico, aussie knot forgotten, aussie 3 min miracle, generic paul mitchell tea tree special conditioner. I deep condition weekly with lamaur's bone marrow, queen helene's special conditioning treatment and Rx professional prescription replenish hair treatment. I moisturize with butters ( mango, avocado, cocoa, tallow and sal). I do flat iron on occassion with my wigo flatiron. Use small sections at a 1"-1 1/2" flatiron for thick hair. Hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic