Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hot comb and relaxed hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jadelady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot comb and relaxed hair
    Posted: December 04 2004 at 12:36am
Ok I have a bad habit of using the hot comb in my hair even when it's relaxed. (I know, shoot me now!) I know it's wrong but here is my dilemma: I don't like using blow dryers because it dries my hair out and I don't know the correct way to use a flat iron or a good brand. I let my hair air dry before I hot comb it. I've been doing this for years and I haven't had bad breakage or any problems like that, but I want a healthier way to wear my hair straight. Any suggestions??
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 8:37am
Well, there's something I've tried, and it seems to work well for me. You WILL have to get a good flat iron, though, and it takes time, so please don't use this method if you've got somewhere to go anytime soon.

Once I've washed my hair and toweled it gently until it's damp, I separate it into six parts (you may do more or less, depending on your growth) and make a small twist of hair before clamping them down with a butterfly clip. I do something else for about thirty minutes, before checking on the clips that hold the least hair. Once the hair begins to feel semi-dry, I unclip and comb it flat with my widest-toothed comb, a big wooden comb. Any hair that's still kind of damp is resectioned and reclamped. This method has my hair air-dryed in about an hour and a half with no heat. My hair is shoulder length, but pretty thick.

Next, tie the hair up in a silk or satin bonnet/scarf/wrap whenever it's bedtime. The heat of the head will help make the hair softer, and if it's wrapped to lie flat, in the morning it'll be pretty flat.

Now for the flat iron! A few people have stated that they own a Wigo. I myself have a Solia. And a few people on the 'Straightening' Board have the "True Ceramic Pro". The point of these flatirons that they are ceramic, that is, coated with a ceramic layer, or in some cases, claim to be completely ceramic. They're easier on your hair than a metal iron, plus ceramics heat up really, really fast. Like, 30 seconds fast.

Now, section off a pretty thin piece of hair. (You'll want to go thinner because you want to get as much of your roots as possible. Later on in the week you can do bigger chunks because the roots will already be a little flatter than otherwise. ) Clamp it with the iron and slide straight down for straight hair, or in or out for curls and flips respectively. And when you're done, your hair will look great!

I'm washing my hair today, so I can post pictures of all of this later on if you'd like. But please make sure your hair is completely dry before you put any sort of hot metal on it!

Now, there's another way that is alleged to work, but I've yet to hear anyone talk about it on these boards. Go here to look at it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18788&item=6727478015&rd=1
jadelady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 6:08pm
Thanks for the response! I was wondering though, after you've sectioned off the hair and put it up in clips, and it has dried, do you then put on a bonnet or a wrap scarf to flat iron the next day? Also, what products do you use before flat ironing for heat-protectant and what do you put on it afterwards for shine and moisture?
Yi Shi Tong Ren
(Extend the same treatment to all)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 7:58pm
I do wrap my hair up in a silken scarf. I don't use wrapping or setting lotion, though. I just comb it down and wrap it up.

As for what I use on my hair, I use Aphogee Leave-In Conditioner. It's an alcohol-free, thin sort of liquid that I drizzle on my hair and work in. I also use Biosilk's Silk Therapy for heat protection, but very sparingly...it smells fantastic, but can make hair feel brittle and stiff if you slather on enough to 'coat'. As for shine and moisturizing, a little of Hollywood Beauty's Carrot Oil works great on my ends. The rest of the shaft is tough enough to take care of itself, in my case.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2004 at 9:48am
Have you posted the pictures yet?
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
jadelady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2004 at 12:13am
Was that question to me Layla? If so, I haven't posted pictures. I need to though.
Yi Shi Tong Ren
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2004 at 8:56am
I was talking to supersugar (i think that's her name) but I'd like to see your pictures too.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Dmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2004 at 9:26am
Hi,
Use a blow dryer with a comb attachment and use your favorite hair oil when it is half way dry. This will stop the drying out. Also, noting dries your hair out worse than hot combs.
DMC
Its me again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2004 at 10:04am
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
jadelady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2004 at 8:57pm
I tried a blow dryer also but that dried my hair out alot so I had no choice it seems but to use a hot comb. What is the best blow dryer to use and what kind of brush do you use to get straight and not frizzy dry hair? Also, right after you blow dry, do you curl it or flat iron it?
Yi Shi Tong Ren

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2004 at 9:21pm
I seem to have no idea how to curl my hair, so I always use a flat iron. I don't have a good brush, so I only use the big-toothed comb.

And if you must use a blow dryer, try to get one with a 'cool' setting or button, and use that as much as you can. I haven't blown my hair dry in half a year, but when I was using it, I rarely used the hottest setting. Since the really hot setting dries out hair, you can imagine what it does to your poor scalp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic