Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bad hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
muzikalgirl2k5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzikalgirl2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bad hair
    Posted: January 24 2005 at 2:05am
Hi. I am a college student, and most of my hair life, since i was about 14, i have been wearing braids. my hair is thin and breaks off easily. i have tried wearing ponytails, sew in weaves, crocet braids, box braids, micros, and cornrows. my problem is that most hair styles that last a month or two on regular heads only last 3 weeks on me, and maybe 4 if i strech it. the only thing that lasted a while was a set of micros that made it thru marching season, but when i went back to the same stylist and got the same style, they only lasted 3 weeks. it seems like any kind of styling product makes the braids start to come off and my hair poof up. ive tried all sorts of braid specific styling products. should i give up braids? or maybe there''''s something im not doing right. i dont think im ready to go natural, but is there a hair style that i can use thats easy that wont cause my hair problems?
Life is the stuff that happens between
halftime.

Come for the band, stay for the game!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 1:45pm
Wearing braids too tight or too often can cause alopecia (hair loss or thinning). I believe you need to take a break ok them since you said your hair is thinning.

Make sure you deep condition your hair regularly. I would say do a protein treatment to get your hair stronger. Do this at least once a month. Wash and condition as usual.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

muzikalgirl2k5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muzikalgirl2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2005 at 3:16pm
thanks. Any clues on what i shouild do in the mean time? besides the conditioning
Life is the stuff that happens between
halftime.

Come for the band, stay for the game!
Kim J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2005 at 7:14am
Make sure that you tie it up before bed everyday and try a product like braid revitalizer to keep the frizz at bay.
-Happy Hair Days
Kim
seasweet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seasweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 4:14pm
Your hair may be breaking from damaging chemical relaxers combined with the stress of wearing braids all of the time. Try leaving the braids in for 3 weeks then give your hair a rest for another 3 weeks.

Try wearing your hair natural without tight braids. One popular natural style is twists but you can also wear puffs (afro with scarf pulling hair up and back).

See http://www.nappturality.com and http://www.ourhair.net for more ideas.

Oh and no your hair is not bad but the popular hatred/ignorance of natural nappy hair is very damaging to your spirit and your hair.
be careful... life is bitter sweet. we are living in a world of hate

http://www.napturalglory.com

thick naptural hair worn in twists, flat twists, or bantu knots. products: organic refined coconut oil and hair tea.

JESUS Rules!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 3:38pm
I would say to keep your hair in a protective style, or styles that keep your ends from the harsh weather, french rolls, buns and braid your own hair with nothing added and not tight.

Stay away from tight styling.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic