Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>
Author
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 5:19pm
Congradulations, Honeydoo.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 4:07pm

Okay, I know I posted already but I had to update again. I was 10 weeks post relaxer (the last relaxer i used was CON mild) and yesterday I decided to try another. So I relaxed with Vitale. Processing time was quick! (Ten minutes) But, I was scratching my scalp alot and irritated it the day before so I started to burn alittle. I had to hurry up and rinse before the front sections were done. Needless to say, I rinsed and shampooed with Vitale Neutralizer and then applied Mane n' Tail for a few minutes. After I rinsed that, I applied Porosity COntrol all over for 1 minute then rinsed. Afterwards i used Carrot Cholesterol deep conditioner and left it in for 1 hour. I rinsed and applied A leave-in and WGHO (love it!!! The smell was alot like wok oil). My hair feels great today! There is no frizz and it's extremely soft. The WGHO helped that out alot. And the best part is I have about an inch of growth. When I saw my hair in the mirror, I measured and I'm about5-6 inches to brastrap right now. If I keep going through summer, I'll be there in no time!

Oh yeah, one more question. Since the top of my hair was only able to process for about 2 minutes and it didn't really process, is it alright to carefully do that section again without harm? Probably not, but I'm curious as to if this has happened to anyone before.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 9:34am

I've been washing twice a week rotating Nexxus Shampoos. Doing a light protein once a week, and always deep conditioning. Then I  air dry.

Right now I've 7 weekks post relaxer, and plan to try to make it to 10 or 12 weeks. I think I might get some individual braids for a few weeks to keep my hands outta my hair. I've got about a 1/2 in of new growth feels like more in some places.

Products I'm using- Nexxus- Therappe, Botional, Humectress, and Keraphix.    

Loreal Vive Smooth Intense Anti-Frizz serum, and Creme.

Shealoe Butter

Jojoba oil.

keracare moisturizer w/ jojoba oil.

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 9:23am
doesnt this cantu have mineral oil?
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 7:05pm

My update...

I been wearing protective styles. Now I have to pin up my braids or wear headwraps because they will cling to my couch or collar and that does not feel good at all.

I wash once a week using the conditioner-wash-conditioner method, last week I rinsed or conditioner washed  almost everyday.

As of right now my products are.... any kind of suave/white rain conditioner (consisting of olive oil) on the hair with diluted shampoo on the scalp, followed  by a deep treatment conditioner (usually suave 2-minute recovery or vo5 oasis 3- minute repair) afterwards. Airdrying (loose or braided).

Thats about it.

Nothing much but I got to take a pic of my hair, its too cute!

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

lilpeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilpeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 3:20pm
Honeydoo is right Cantu is awesome.....
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 12:48pm
Hey Layla, try Cantu Strengthing Shea Butter Moisturizer. Works great and smells nice. It's thick like the Mango Butter.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 12:06pm

Update:

-Finally finished Nexxus. Now I'm using ARTec Textureline Smoothing shampoo and conditioner

-Discovered Redken All Soft Heavy Cream. My last relaxer didn't work so well but after using this my roots were nice and smooth and my hair was fantastic.

-I keep forgetting to take my multivitamin. 

-I have been using heat once a week either a flat iron or curling iron

-Finished pantene relaxed & natural oil moisturizer so I'm looking for a new one (suggestions?). for now i'm using elasta qp mango butter

-I do a hot olive oil treatment before I wash my hair

-Just got Joico KPak deep treatment so I'll be using that

-wash every 4 days and clarify monthly

-1-1/2 weeks post relaxer

Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 1:34am
Not too late at all! Welcome to the Challenge! It sounds like you have a good regimen going on! Keep it up! We post once a month (Or more if you like) with up-dates. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions.
QueenLinda83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenLinda83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 9:26pm

I hope it's not too late for me to join!  I've had my own personal challenge since about December!

My regimine is as follows, 

* I wash with shampoo 1 to 2 times a week depending on how my hair is behaving. I use Nexxus Therappee, and to clarify (Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo-every other week). Pre-poo I use Garnier Long and Strong (or the kind for damaged hair), and a combo of hot six oils, olive oil, jojoba for my hot oil treatment.

Protein I use Keraphix and CPR mixed together (every 1-2 weeks). Every 8 weeks I use the stinky Aphogee :x

Conditioners: NTM Daily Deep Conditioner (sit under a dryer for about an hour). ! :\

I don't use heat, unless it's right after a relaxer. I let my hair air-dry in a pony tail. I spray a mix of hot six, wgo, olive, and jojoba oils on it, with some of the Garnier anti-frizz serum, and Headress (which I don't like anymore-Motions leave in is much better!). After it dries I put S-curl, olive oil, and Root Health on my new growth and the Mega growth on my ends. I don't do protective styles because I'm lazy, and my hair is too short (and/or uncooperative) for a bun.

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 9:19pm

i'm doing well- i did have my hair pressed for one week and hot curled once- wrapped and rolled up for the duration of that week.

I have a few straight ends left but i did not lose any hair or have any breakage from this. I did have a mini-trim at the time i got it pressed.

Still co-washing daily with mainly dominican conditioners. Still shampooing weekly/deep conditioning weekly.

i think my hair is growing nicely- because the rest of the hair on my body is growing like wildfire.

I started using mowrah butter as my primary moisturizer and my hair loves it. I do also use shea butter, sufflower butter and shealoe butter.

That's about it.

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 4:44pm

Grow-Out CHallenge Bandwagon:
Adora~Carmeldiva~Cebnn~Cmesweet~Dach~Diamondprincess~Honeydo o~IndigoRed~Jewell~Jesuschrist#1inmylife~Kally~KimJ~Layla~Mi ssaol~Missfro~Mrs. Robertson~Nubianqt86~Pocahontas1~Renee~Savantrice~Tp1~VickyD

I hope I remembered everybody. If not, I'm sorry! You can put your name on the list. How is everyone doing at the end of April? Hopefully well. Here is how I have been doing:

-Washed twice this month with DnL Peppermint shampoo. COndition washed the rest.

-Used heat only twice this month. Very good!

-Did braidouts on condition wash days. My hair HATES braids. Had breakage on 3 attempts at a braid-out. Will try to avoid.

-Protein treatment with Redken Extreme two weeks ago.

-I've worn my hair down alot this month (not very proud of but very nice weather this month!) Have worn it in a bun this last week. (very proud of)

-Having some shedding. I think it's due to my relaxer stretch(just about 10 weeks now.)

My product list now consists of:

Nature's Gate Rainwater Sea Kelp& Aloe Conditioner (good for CW)**Neutrogena Deep Recovery Mask(Excelente!)** Mane and Tail Conditioner(Great for shedding and retaining length)**Organics Hair Mayo(Good protein but softens the hair,too)**Carrot Cholesterol Conditioner(new~softens and moisturizes)**Redken Extreme Protein Shampoo/Con't(didn't like at first, will try once more.)**Aura Jojoba Oil Hot Oil treatment(New~have not tried yet.)**Porosity Control(New~excited to try)**WGHO(New~can't wait to try)**Organics Olive Oil Moisturizer(very good)**Organics Shea Butter Hair Lotion( a moisturizing machine!!)**Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme(Love It! Moisturizing)**Tea tree and carrot oil(nice and light)**Motions Leave-in Conditioner(Ok, will look for another leave in.)

This is all the things I use and will hopefully use more often. I have other products too but I have not used them in a while. Of course I alternate by what my hair needs. I am not about 10 weeks post relaxer and will be trying Vitale relaxer for the first time tomorrow. I will have an update and possibly some good growth too. (Sorry I write too much!)

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 1:01pm

Update:

-Nexxus doesnt work for me anymore and i have discovered Kenra MC!!

-Discovered biolage ultra hydrating balm

-stoped taking silica cos im out and also stopped cod liver and flaxseed capsules. I may be gaining weight with my protein shake so ill stop that today and may replace it with lecithin

-upgraded my biotin from 1000mcg to 5000mcg. (again; seems like the key is the high dosage)

-using BB oil moisturiser and sealing with wgho as daily moisturising

-using MTG on scalp on wash days when hair is dry

-washed today and my hair was jacked up. humectress did not help...

-still CO washing and clarifying monthly (watching out for silicone overload)

-I think im like 6 weeks post relaxer (relaxed on the 15th of March) and keeping fingers crossed

happy hair growing everyone!!!

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 6:27pm

Princess, Are you asking if it's okay to use a flatiron on natural hair? If so, I believe that is fine as long as it isn't too often and you use a good heat protectant. A few others on this site are natural and can tell you alot more about it than me.

Savantrice, it sounds like you're doing pretty good! That's great to hear. I've had alittle shedding but I'm going to relax on Sunday so I'll actually give you my upday May 1st sometime in the evening if I can. Keep up the great work.

savantrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savantrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 3:41pm

okay to update...

I've started taking a daily multi-vitamin again, as well as Biotin (300 mcg from GNC...i take at least one a day, ususally two)

i have been pretty consistent about doing a deep conditioner on my hair with olive oil whenever i wash...but i have switched to doing it before my (no 'poo) wash as opposed to after and i like the results a lot...not as much oil residue, but my hair still feels soft.

i havent been as consistent with washing every week, i keep slipping to two weeks when i get busy on the weekends, luckily its still cool up here, so its hasnt been too bad...but i dont think that'll fly when the weather warms up.

i've also been good with not braiding my hair...i was notorious for braiding so i wouldnt have to deal with my hair, but its been out since January, which i'm happy about, so my twist and twistouts have gotten a lot better.

for the next month i have two main goals:

1. start working out again...because i've fallen ALL THE WAY OFF my regimin this semester.

2. become more consistent in the application of daily leave-in conditioner (Aveda) b/t washes...it makes my hair MUCH more managealbe when its not in protective styles but i still dont do it all the time

Princess1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 4:28pm

thanks cmesweet!  I'll start a journal asap.. Hey honeydoo, is it okay to flatiron even if I've never had  a perm?  It'll be tough to go from always straight to always "rough and tough with my afro puffs!" 

To whom much is given, much is expected.
www.fotki.com/princess121
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 12:07pm
Princess, I will pm you the information.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 9:09pm
Dach and Princess, HIYEEE!!! Nope, not too late too join. Cmesweet is great with directing about the hair journal. I'm going to start one myself. Dach, you're going in the right direction with getting away from the iron. It will damage your hair in soo many ways. There is great info here to help you out. I've been here since December and have learned alot but I'm always learning still. Welcome and Happy Hair Growing!!
Dach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 2:55pm

Hello ladies,

I hope it's not too late for me to join this challenge. I came across this site today and I have enjoyed reading all this great information. I don't have a specific regimen I follow right now. I usually do a roller wrap, but as of lately I've been using a flat iron and I've been doin major damage to my hair. I'm trying to get away from the heat and over processing. I think with the help of you ladies I can get this hair straight! First off..I need some guidance on the hair journal. If anyone can oblige me. It would greatly appreciated.

Life is difficult; out of that difficulty grows meaning and beauty
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 11:18am

Welcome Princess, glad to have you here! It is not too late to join, you can join anytime. I haven't tried those vitamins but have heard good things about them.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>
  Share Topic