Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 32>
Author
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 5:16pm

Hi Everyone!!! Its been a LOOOONG week for me but here is my update!!

Update~ I am 6 weeks post-relaxer with about 3/4 inch of new growth already....a record for me. The new growth is alot softer than the rest of my hair which I attribute to MSM. I've been washing twice a week with one washing beeing with conditioner. I am using the same products I always have been and making sure to moisturize more often. I haven't done the baggie mehtod this month because I've been doing braidouts twice a week.  My hair overall is shinier and is growing good in just this month. The future is looking mighty bright!!

I have used coconut oil in my hair in the past but have noticed that I can only use it in the summer time when it is warmer because up here near the lake it gets COLD in the winter and the oil hardens on my hair. I have been switching between carrot, tea tree, and jojoba oil depending on my mood. I'm doing a rollerset today.

I'm glad to see everyone is doing well!!! Lets go for MONTH 2!!

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 1:03am
carameldiva, I got it. Thanks so much! I pm'd you back. I really appreciate all of you guys advice. You're so informative and helpful! And yes, I have tons of questions which you'll be seeing from time to time until I get this hair thing down.  I don't have a regimen exactly, just trying to figure out for now what does and doesn't work for me. Hopefully I'll have it all figured out soon. Thanks again!
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 11:42pm
Browneyes2- i pm'ed you with the answers to your questions. If you have anymore. Please feel free to ask.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by BrownEyez2 BrownEyez2 wrote:

cmesweet, you mentioned using coconut and jojoba oil. I purchased a container of Organic virgin coconut oil today from my health food store. However, it's not in oil form like I thought. It's a thick, white solid substance with a little oil film on top!!??? Did yours come this way? What I did to use it was put a little in a container and melt down in the microwave. Is this ok?   Also, if I'm not being too nosy where did you purchase your jojoba oil? My HFS had a small bottle (appx. 4 ozs) for 13.00!!! Do you know if any other store besides an HFS that I may be able to get this for less and in a larger size? ( I'm kinda leery about online purchasing)  I knew it would be expensive, but wow! And for so little...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice ...

Coconut oil can become a solid, I believe after it hits above 65-70 degrees it has a tendency to become a liquid.  There are multiple ways to melt it but I try to not over heat it so what i do is...run hot water in the sink, make sure the stopper is down so the water can't go out. Then i place the container in the water. This way it melts slowly and u can get the amount u want, without melting all of it. (Over heating can cause substances to loose some of its nutrience, thats why I would do the hotwater method i stated)

I purchased my jojoba oil at a health food store back in my home town, it was a small container but it was like 4.99. Recently, in the college town that i reside in right now, I went to the health food store and they too had jojoba oil in such a small bottle for 13.00.  You may have to try multiple health food stores and sometimes grocery stores will have a few essential oils near the vitamin area or pharamacy location.

Also, try calling around to different health food stores and compare their prices. Sometimes arts and crafts stores carry these oils, I would look in the "make your own lotion" or "beeswax" section.

No you are not being nosy, I'm glad to help.

cmesweet...im using some coconut oil i got from walmart. It's actually for cooking. Is that okay?

Yes, it is ok. Coconut oil can be used for multiple things, cooking, sun tanning, cosmetics and so on.

I have used canola oil (yes the cooking kind) it has soybean oil , olive oil and another kind and i was like, well if u can put all that in your hair i might as well try it. It was all i had at the time, but it made my hair feel the same as olive oil.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 7:52pm
cmesweet...im using some coconut oil i got from walmart. It's actually for cooking. Is that okay?
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 6:35pm

I haven't been in the Challenge that long. But I would like to update. I have been washing two-three times a week. Sometimes I  just put conditioner on my hair cover it with a plastic cap, and rinse in the morning. I got my shealoe butter. I am loving it. I have been putting a little Elasta Qp on my hair, then use the shealoe on my scalp and ends.  I have been putting my hair into two low poneytails to airdry after washing, conditioning, or just wetting it. When It dryes It is usually fairly straight, so I put it into two or three french braids and wear them untill I go someplace, then wear a braid out untill I wash/rinse again. Yesterday after rinsing Out conditoner I slept in I used my Henna n' Placenta finally. Then I followed with Humectress, applied shealoe, and elasta QP Recovery. Then I air dryed and french braided, and my hair looks so shiny and healthy. It is soft and verry moisturized. I just relaxed 2 weeks ago, and don't really see much growth, but I can deffinatly tell the condition of my hair has improved quite a bit. I just needed to show it some more attention, and love.  I should have some growth to report next month!

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
Jesuschrist#1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesuschrist#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 5:36pm
Update: I've been using Wild Growth Hair Oil for about a week now, and I've noticed a lot of shine and body. It still looks like I just relaxed it. I haven't used any heat products because it stays straight because I wrap it at night using hair pins and a silk scarf. I cut some of the split ends off, and my hair still seems like it's growing. I like the length that I have now, but my goal is still bra strap. Tonight I'm going 2 wash and condition my hair and use the oil to moisterize it. The oil is the only styling product I need for my hair type because it makes my hair very manageable. Well, that's about all for my update. God bless you all and happy hair-growing! Peace, love, and blessings

Much luv

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 1:41pm

Ya'll please excuse all my questions, but I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to get my hair back on the right track after much neglect!! This boards have been a great source of knowledge and inspiration for me...I've been at home the last few days w/ my daugther and I have to pry myself away form these sites....

cmesweet, you mentioned using coconut and jojoba oil. I purchased a container of Organic virgin coconut oil today from my health food store. However, it's not in oil form like I thought. It's a thick, white solid substance with a little oil film on top!!??? Did yours come this way? What I did to use it was put a little in a container and melt down in the microwave. Is this ok?   Also, if I'm not being too nosy where did you purchase your jojoba oil? My HFS had a small bottle (appx. 4 ozs) for 13.00!!! Do you know if any other store besides an HFS that I may be able to get this for less and in a larger size? ( I'm kinda leery about online purchasing)  I knew it would be expensive, but wow! And for so little...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice ...

~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 12:51pm

Update- Right now I am working on my short term goal...which is... to wear a style for more than a week. I am on week one,  going on week two ( for me). Anyways, last week I washed doing my conditioner-wash-conditioner method, then moisturized my hair with my homemade sheaaloe and then braided it. It is very soft and I have rinsed it and sprayed with my spritz (water and coconut/jojoba oil) and it still feels great! I usually wear a head wrap because I keep wanting to take it down. So that is my update...

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 12:22pm

carameldiva,

How long have you been using the Shapleys? Have you seen any results thus far, i.e., growth, softness, etc?  I've been reading about this on numerous sites with pretty good reviews (besides the smell---read that was pretty bad ???). I'm tempted to try it but didnt want to waste $$$$ if it's not worth it. I'm pretty new to the boards and trying not to run out and buy everything that I read about. That and I have sooooooooooo many products now I need to finish before purchasing anything else. So what have you noticed so far in changes to your hair?

~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 10:32am

Edited by Renee
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 8:50am
Update- well i trimmed and colored around mid-march. Went lighter for the summer. Still using Shapley's MTG every other day, on the alternate days- i use either shealoe butter, shea butter(unrefined) or organic hair butter. Still moisturizing at nite and placing a thin plastic cap on my head overnite. Still co washing daily. Still shampooing/deep conditioning weekly. I think my hair is doing fine- much less breakage and shedding, very moist. so i think that i will make it to my short-term goal on my 2 year nappy anniversary-June 6, 2005. I plan to get my hair braided on Sunday. Just some cornrows for 2-4 weeks.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 1:19pm
Thank you Cebnn
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 2:03pm
cmesweet.. I like seeing your name on the board so much, bc you give some of the best advice!

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 1:49pm
If i want a curly style, i do a bantu knot set. It lasts for like 2 days. I do it at night before before, put on my satin cap and do whatever i have to do in the morning. I normally do this when im like 2 mths post relaxer cos i cant wear my hair straight anymore.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 1:11pm

I have not experienced this but some people do one roller set and the days following they pin it up at night (pin curls) and its the same the next day.

@ Nubianqt... u are welcome. Tell me if u like it or not.

@ Cebnn...your pics are nice and your son is adorable. I know how hard it is to take your own pics, I took most of mine. Alot of people think it's crazy to take pics of hair so i had to do it myself. U should see how many I take before they looked decent or weren't staring at something in the background.

Ok i see my name too much on this board, i feel like im getting annoying.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 9:04pm
I never tried rollersetting I don't have a dryer yet. (advice on a good one anybody?) ..  I guess it could work rollersetting it, and rolling the ends at night if you can sleep like that.. But yea I was curling it everyday..when I wore it like that. I didn't like putting that much heat on it, so I have started giving myself then make-shift cornrows ( I can do other peoples but not my own) and two-strand flat twist, as an alternative.

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 8:59pm

Cebnn, your hair is so pretty like that! Do you curl it up or can you rollerset it this way? I tried curling it up this way a few months ago but to maintain it I had to curl everyday and I hated that. I need to get an online album but I'm not good with stuff like that.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
IndigoRed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndigoRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 8:55pm
Hey Renee,
Thanks for the Pantene advice.
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 7:20pm

I just wanted to let you know I have my online album!   I will be updating it frequently.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 32>
  Share Topic