Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 8:34pm
Today I washed and Trimmed my ends...saw some splits so I just trimed the ends.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 5:59pm
I got a trim like two or three weeks ago. Cute style- he did cut one side shorter than the other. I did purchase a scalp massager and that seems to be helping. Not shedding much as of late, since the trim and i got my lush hair bar and lush conditioner bar. Can't wait to try them. New things that my hair is loving adding honey to everything. Also, trader joe's pure castile soap (peppermint)- it's da bomb diggity.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 5:34pm

Nothing new here either. I had a bad shedding spell early March, but I think I've got it under control. I'm going to up my washes back to twice a week soon since it's getting a bit warmer.  I trimmed a bit about a month ago, but I'm getting good growth.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by carameldiva carameldiva wrote:

Kbaby- hmmm.... itchy scalp. have you tried using tea tree oil on it. This may solve the problem.

Also, Peppermint oil works for me when I have itchy scalp..however you may want to follow up with lots of moisture b/c it can also be drying as well.

HTH

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 12:12am

update- nothing much going on here...just growing as always.

Found a few splits in the front...don't know how since I trimed the splits I saw in the front.lil Y's

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 6:01pm
I use shea butter to moisturize.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
longido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 1:00pm

Hello ladies iam new in this forum , it took me sometime to get my way around it. It is vast and a lot of abbreviations that when you are new can really get lost especially if you are like me who had given up on hair products! I have studied this challenge right from the begining and iam impressed by you ladies. It has inspired me not to give up on my hair. Can i know what you use to moisturize?

Secondly i learnt of profectiv products and i was made to believe they are really for African American hair, but i do not hear anyone talk about them. Is there anyone with an experience of them?

Thank you.

lmk
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 1:51pm
I just tried adding a few drops of tea tree oil to my clarifying shampoo. I'm not sure, but I believe it made a difference. The true test will be on Monday when I take out my twists. Usually by then my scalp is really itching.
KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 2:56pm
No, I hadn't tried that, but I do have some.  I will try it!  Thanks :)
HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 10:03am

Kbaby- hmmm.... itchy scalp. have you tried using tea tree oil on it. This may solve the problem.

KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 7:49pm

I forgot about this!

I'm getting micro braids in the morning and I want to try to eliminate the itchy scalp, hoping to not scratch so much while I have them.  The hair I bought is synthetic; I bought it before checking with the lady that's braiding it.  She told me synthetic hair doesn't grip well, therefore not lasting as long, so I should get 100% human hair next time.  How do I care for my hair with the braids?  Do I wet all the hair when washing or just the part that is braided with mine?  How often should I wash?  Can I still use the protein treatments and do deep conditioning treatments?  What about using oils on my scalp and hair?  I know I always come with a lot of questions, but ya'll help me so much!  Thanks again!

Lala

KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 7:45pm

Hi Ladies!  Just a quick update & a new plea for help!

Last time I posted was around the beginning of the month when I relaxed my hair.  I'm still cool with having done it b/c of your help!  Usually, after about 4 weeks, I would have already relaxed my hair.  Right now, I don't even feel the need to!  It still looks good; I've learned to help keep my new growth soft and "flat" looking!  I never would have been able to do it without this challenge & your help!

My new dilemma, however, is itchy scalp!  OH MY GOD, you would not believe how badly it itches, especially in the top (mostly in the top).  Just so you'll know what I do so you can offer a suggestion, here goes:

Weekly/twice a week - shampoo, with a cond./olive & castor oil mix as a pre-poo the night before

Daily - olive oil spray all over hair & scalp for moisture

Every other day - olive oil/castor oil mix on my scalp

Every two weeks - deep conditioner mix (ion effective treatment, aveda damage remedy cond, olive/castor oil - 15 minutes under dryer)

Monthly - ion protein reconstructor (15 minutes under the dryer)

That's about it.  I'm kinda' scared that the itching/scratching may cause damage in the top b/c I've had breakage there in the past.  It's ok now, but I don't want it to start breaking again.  TIA!!!!

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:02pm
Honeydoo, you are such an encouraging person. You have wonderful ideas and  you are doing a great job holding the challenges down. Keep up the good work!!
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 2:49pm

Layla-Congratulations!! I'm glad you like your new style and you're comfortable with it. And if it makes you feel good, why not!! You'll have to post pics for us!

I was thinking of posting the first month on March 1st since it's the 1 year anniversary of the first challenge. This one will be for length, healthy hair (relaxed or natural) I'll post that every month. Any other suggestions for it?

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 11:46am
Congratulations to both of you. Thanks for the tips. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 9:26am

TY- Cmesweet and congradulations to you as well.

Honeydoo-Great minds think alike.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 10:50pm

Yayyyy Layla! It's good to hear how much you enjoy your hair.  I bet it is so pretty.  Here is just a simple style tip...somedays for "hanging out" or even to work or school... just part your hair where ever you like...then put a hair clip ( decorative or regular) on each side to keep the hair parted.  Girl rock it like its hot.   With that simple tip you can do so much... you can do a side part, zigzag part, part your hair right in the middle. Do a few quick front twist and clip them down to add spice. So much. Don't let your hair limit you just because of the length.

Congrats Caramel to 3 Years!  My Second anniversary will be May 9,2006

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 4:09pm

hmmm.. i'm glad that you had a great experience layla. Styling tips-comb coils or palm rolls, two-strand twists. I do mine on wet hair after shampoo/condition/deep condition and i use gel cause beeswax makes my scalp itch after a few days. Try it up and freshen up in the a.m.  Also you could just wear a shruken fro and pop an artificial flower on the side. Hope this helps ya.

P.S.- when i did the bc my hair was really super short and i liked it but wanted more curl definition-little did i know that it would come naturally for me so i put a kit in it and when it grew out- i never did it again. I cowashed daily and used a good leave-in and that was pretty much it for the longest but now i am detangling and doing more deep conditioning. I'm entering my 3rd year of nappiness- my anniversary #3 is June 6,2006.

Edited by carameldiva
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 3:14pm
It was great. I had my hair in 3 pony tails and after I cut the first one off, I was in a little bit of shock. But when I cut all of them off and had a chin-length, choppy cut I was getting more into it. But when I got all of the relaxed hair off, I fell totally in love. I just put finger coils in earlier. That helped me to get the rest of the straight ends that got left. I would either snip the straight ends off the section before or after I coiled it. Everyone says I look more mature and my age now. I really like it. I feel pretty.  I'm even thinking about maybe keeping it short for a while. Do you have any styling tips for me?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 3:36pm
Congradulations Layla- now i have a new nappy friend. How was it- were you in shock when your hair hit the floor? or were you instantly in love with your new natural hair? Inquiring minds wanna know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>
  Share Topic