Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>
Author
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 8:12pm
Jade Goddess, Good God!! Now THATS a regimen! Sounds like a good one too. I'm about to invest in an elliptical trainer (Walmart, $214.00). I had a knee injury so this is the best machine for me. I have pilates tapes which I do time to time, but I get so bored with it. And I have Taebo tapes but I can't look at the instructor for a long time. He gets annoying. I love Taebo though.

What I did start doing again was the baggie method on my ends and they look good today. My mom noticed that my hair is longer than it was about 2 months ago. I'm on the right track. My younger sister has brastrap length and my older sister has midback length.
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
tp1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 2:38pm
forgot to ask:

Have any of you read Kathy Howse's book?

I thought the book was revolutionary.

I mean, she makes claims like "throw out your hairbrushes" and "moisterize your hair, not your scalp"....

very interesting....

we sisters have been mislead with much misinformation.....
tp1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 2:35pm
well jade,

I have seen results. As a matter of fact, I submitted my testimonial back to the company yesterday and as a token of appreciation, they're sending me a free month supply so...

after you've been taking it for a while, send in a testimonial about the product and they'll give you a free 1 month bottle.

Back to your question...

I HAVE SEEN RESULTS. My hair is in braids so I don't wash it everyday. In fact, I wash it every month or 5 weeks when I get the braids redone.

I know that washing and conditioning is important to hair health but as Kathy Howse says, "Braiding gives every strand a chance". When their is no tugging, pulling, combing brushing etc., you give your hair a chance to be powerful.

I'm getting off the topic...

anyway, I have seen growth- primarily in my nails-- your nails start to grow really, really, long and really fast. You will also see changes in your skin (especially if your drink at least 8 glasses a day along with taking Exotic Allure).

You will see gradual growth in your hair as well. It's only been about 30 days for me and they say at least wait for 45 days to see the true results.

Truthfully, in my opinion, if you want to assess your hair growth, you should do so after about 3-4 months.

You can't really watch your hair grow-- if you think about it, you can't really watch your nails grow. You just look up and one day, the nail that you thought was chipped is long again.

Hair is the same way- 4,5, even 6 monnths go by and you notice that you can put it in a longer ponytail or whatever....

I'm not worried about the vitamins working though because I am very aware of how vitamins work. I have children and with each pregnancy, I took prenatal vitamins daily for 9 months at least and your hair does grow from habitual use of vitamins.

How did you hear about Exotic Allure?

Do you know anyone else who has taken it?

I want to talk to people who have taken it for like 6 months to a year or even more.....

JadeGoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by tp1 tp1 wrote:

jade, you are serious with yours mama!!!

I take exotic allure as well--- this friday, 3/11, it'll be one month that I've been taking it.

Why are you taking two? The recommended dosage is three per day.

That dosage was a typo. I haven't received my order yet, but I am planning to follow the dosage recommended on the bottle. How is it working for you? Any changes yet?
kally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 11:25am
My hair has been coming along greatly I am going natural and had to cut all of my hair off and start over I am pleased with the outcome. I have been washing my hair weekly and doig a deep conditoner and leave in . I love the Pantene Prov for African Americans and I use Rx as my deep contioner and Profective for me Leave in i take straight Silica pills , multivitmin and flaxseed oil capsule. plus I drink plenty of water. My hair has really improved.
"God makes no mistakes" he created you the way you are suppose to be.
tp1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 10:49am
jade, you are serious with yours mama!!!

I take exotic allure as well--- this friday, 3/11, it'll be one month that I've been taking it.

Why are you taking two? The recommended dosage is three per day.
vickyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 9:48pm
wow jade you have really given this some mega thought. let me know how you come along with the new products. I have heard good things about the many of them. I actually have used Salerm 21 and find I love the smell and the results are great. I just rec'd to day from sickbay the lacio lacio. I haven't used it yet. I am tempted to wash my hair tonight, but it is kinda late and I am feeling kinda lazy so maybe it will have to wait til tomorrow....oh yeah welcome jade
"And this too shall pass."
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 9:41pm
Wow, your list is long but as long as you are serious about it, thats all that matters.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 7:44pm
Well, it took me a full day to do it, but I've finally constructed my regimen for the challenge. It's insanely long, but I'm taking this super-serious!

The products listed in parentheses are the ones I'll be using. Most of them are ones I've never used before, so I will report back on the effects of those.

Every other day,
Rinse hair and scalp with warm water while massaging scalp to remove buildup.
Apply a moisturizing deep conditioner to damp hair. Rinse hair well, and towel blot. (Phytospecific Vital Force Crème Bath; Salerm Wheat Germ Oil Hair Mask; Kan Kanechomn Jaborandi Deep Conditioning Cream)
Apply leave-in conditioner, and comb through gently to detangle. (Salerm 21)
Apply setting lotion and wrap hair (Star Lacio Lacio), or apply heat protective straightening balm and blow dry (Phytodefrisant Relaxing Baum).
Apply moisturizer to hair; massage into scalp and distribute to ends. (Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine)
Finger style hair, or bump ends under with a flat iron. (Phytolisse-for heat protection)
At night, wrap hair and tie on a silk or satin scarf.

Once a week,
Apply a moisturizing pre-shampoo treatment, with or without heat. Rinse hair and scalp well with warm water. (Phytospecific Revitalizing Scalp Treatment; Home Health Castor Oil; Ojon Restorative Treatment)
Shampoo hair, rinse well, and towel blot. (Phytospecific Vital Force Shampoo)
Apply a protein reconstructor. (Queen Helene Cholesterol Cream; KerapHix Restorative Protein Creme Reconstructor)
Rinse thoroughly, and apply a moisturizing instant conditioner. (Capilo Honey & Milk Rinse)
Apply leave-in conditioner, and comb through gently to detangle. (Salerm 21)
Apply setting lotion and wrap hair (Star Lacio Lacio), or apply heat protective straightening balm and blow dry. (Phytodefrisant Relaxing Baum)
Apply moisturizer to hair; massage into scalp and distribute to ends. (Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine)
Finger style hair, or bump ends under with a flat iron. (Phytolisse)
At night, wrap hair and tie on a silk or satin scarf.

Every 4 weeks, go to the salon for a professional wash, deep conditioning treatment, and style.

Every 8 weeks,
Get a relaxer touch-up at a salon. (Phytospecific Relaxer Index 2 Kit)
Get ends trimmed.
Apply a protein reconstructor treatment 1 week before touch-ups. (ApHogee Treatment for Damaged Hair)

Exercise Regimen

Five days a week go running for 30 minutes in the morning.
Three days a week do bodybuilding exercises: Mondays-Chest & Shoulders; Wednesdays-Back & Arms; Fridays-Legs & Core
Stretch daily after exercise

Diet & Supplementation

Every day, take 2 Vitamin Shoppe Ultimate Woman multivitamins, 2 Vitamin Shoppe Omega 3-6-9, 2 Exotic Allure hair growth vitamins, and 4 TrimSpa X32 tablets.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 7:10pm
Grow-Out CHallenge Bandwagon:

Carmeldiva
Cmesweet
Diamondprincess
Honeydoo (me)
JadeGoddess
Jesuschrist#1inmylife
Kally
Kim J
Layla
Missaol
Savantrice
Tp1
Vickyd

Thirteen aboard the Bandwagon!! So far so good! Every has great regimens. I 'm hoping that since spring is on it's way along with warmer weather that the growth will come alot easier. I think it will.

I've made a pact with myself to measure my length at all. What's that saying?: A watched pot never boils. I think I'll keep my hair up alot more and avoid seeing it down at all to avoid anxiousness. I'm hoping to gain about 3 inches by July although I probably will not measure until September when my growth usually slows down. I've also bought Hennalucent and will be trying that next week over Spring Break.
kally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 7:03pm
Honeydoo I would just find a trusting friend who knows what they are doing. The hair salons do have the tendcy to get ssr happy.
"God makes no mistakes" he created you the way you are suppose to be.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 2:45pm
Welcome all new joiners! Glad to see ya'll here at the challenge with us.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 12:32pm
Hi Jade Goddess!!

Nope, it's not too late to join! Anyone can join at anytime.
Welcome to the board. Happy Hair Growing!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 8:37am
I know I'm coming in wicked late, but I just joined the community last night. I would love to participate in the challenge; is it too late to join in?

I have 4b natural hair that I have been wearing in a TWA for almost three years. It's only about 2" long now because I tried relaxing it at 2 different times, then changed my mind and cut it all off again. I did my last big chop on 1/8/05, and I am planning to start relaxing my hair again this month--I want to grow it out for my wedding in October. I am working on creating a hair care regimen, which I will post ASAP.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
vickyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 2:40am
I have done my own trims in the past, but it was when I had all over layers -- less noticable if you mess up. But since I have grown out my layers and now have a style along the lines of a bob with beveled ends I have resisted. I generally get a cut about once every three months, because the salon I really like to use is about three hours away and I have been disappointed with the trims I have gotten locally. But as you can imagine by the time I get to the salon --WHOOO -- those ends are ready to go.
Missaol View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missaol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 3:14pm
I'm glad you asked that Honyedoo. I actually do my own trims because I don't trust my beautician doing it. The first and last time she gave my a trim was just under 2 years ago and I never let her do it ever since then because she cut too much off. So now I do it my self and It turns out great!
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 9:53pm
Does anyone here do their own trims??? I'm so afraid to go to the salon because they always CUT (SLICE, CHOP, you name it) a good size portion off. I need to start fresh with good ends though.
Missaol View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missaol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 9:15pm
Here is what I do

1. I make sure to keep my ends trimmed and Healthy.

2. I drink lots of water

3. I Keep my hair In prtective stlyes and manipulate it as least as possible!(this REALLY hepls)

4. As for washing If I don't have braids in I wash it Once a week or sometimes Once every two weeks. (I go to my beautician for my washes and touch ups)

5. I make sure I get treatments on my hair when I go to beautician.

Sometimes I do wash my own hair and when I do I wash it once with a clearifier and once with Pantene Relaxed and Natural for women of color.
I then deep condition for as long as 45 mins with Revenue under a hooded dryer with a plastic cap covering my hair. I then Wash that out and let my hair hair dry for a while after applying a leave-in conditioner(Mazani). Then I sit under the dryer for about 10 mins and Blow dry ON LOW HEAT until my hair is dry. I found that letting your hair air dry at first really reduces the amout of heat you have to use to dry my hair which helps keep my hair from frying. The combination of all the things(1-5) as well as my own washing I do on occasions really has hepled my hair a great deal.

If there is one thing I think has really helped my hair I would have to say it is the Trimming. I found that I must keep the ends of my hair trimmed in order to achive a nice healthy look. I used to fear getting my hair trimmed or cut but now I absolutly Love it beacause my hair really looks 100% better immediatly after I trim it!
vickyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 7:09pm
Hey everybody,

Just a note to update on how I'm coming with growth challenge.

1. Drinking more water (this is difficult for me b/c I am such a soda drinker).

2. Taking a daily multivitamin - (pretty good- when I remember)

3. My hair is now about an inch or so past my shoulders, but its approaching spring and it gets hot in south ga. so I plan to alternate weeks where I wear my hair down with weeks where I wear a bun. I have noticed that I have gotten faster hair growth with my bun.

When I wear my hair in a bun, I wash and condition it with whatever I'm using that week and then I add two or three leave-ins and put it up in a bun while it's damp. I will wear a scarf over my hair at night to smooth it and protect it. And I will wear it like this for a day or two. Then I will repeat this process. Sometimes everyday or three times a week. I have worn this style for months at a time then I will wear it down and marvel at the growth.

As far as products go -- I have sooooo many that I am trying to use the old stuff up before I splurge on new stuff. I have been tempted and so far I have resisted --- OOPs I forgot I just placed an order for Lacio Lacio from sickbay. well I did say I was a recovering PJ
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 8:02pm
Welcome Missaol!!!
Another 4a/b relaxed! (I'm a 4a) Thanks for joining. In a month we'll see how we are all doing. Hopefully really well. Do you have a regimen??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>
  Share Topic