Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 32>
Author
Adora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2005 at 11:52am

update:

am currently in the middle of a protective style challenge for the month of December...so far so good, although these twists look like they're on their last legs.  had to french braid them down today to fight the frizzies.

i feel like i've stalled when it comes to growth.    i dont know what the problem is, but it feels like i havent seen anythign noticeable for the past few months....although i've been doing the same thing i always do.  i will admit when i twist though, i usually dust the ends, because trimming them makes my twists neater...but i may have to stop that because i may be cutting off all my growth.  maybe that's why i'm stalled? 

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 10:02am
Thanks, carameldiva! 
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 9:50am

update-my hair is not breaking and is extremely shiny.  Its grown two inches the past week and on Tuesday I plan to apply a leave in reconstructor

4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 9:14am
Congradulations- layla. I am so proud of you.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 6:41pm
Update: I did a mini chop of 3 inches. I used some of my mom's leftover dye last night on the tassels of my cornrows. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 4:43pm

Anytime Canopy- Just glad that we could help out. good luck with your Challenges.

Update:

I got a really good trim at the barber- shop- lost a 1/2 to a whole inch- but my hair looks and feels great- then i went to the beauty shop and got a much darker color- now i'm like a brownie-color on my hair- but it looks good and she also did a braid out for me. My hair is really thick and full. BTW- all of these changes are due to my mom- she said i had too much hair- thus the trim(needed it anyway) and the color- her and middle sis couldn't stand it so to appease them for the holiday i did it- can't undo it but i'll get used to it(it does look good). Also- my stress spot is the same length (in the nape area) is the same length as the other side but not as thick and full-i'm gonna massage it a few times a day and add a growth stimulant in that area twice daily and see how that works out.

canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 6:26pm
guys, thanks for the info on the difference between a dominican rinse and conditioner. i bought a dominican conditioner and that is some nice thick stuff. you get a lot in a tub. as always, you guys know so much info.
canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 6:22pm

UPDATE:

school is done for the semester (yay! lets hope i got a good gpa!) and i have a 5 week winter break. i decided to go on a few personal challenges during this time.

~ No Heat. I've been doing this since Nov 28...and I can't stand it! I feel that as the days go on, my hair gets more and more difficult to manage and that it looks shorter. I'm gonna keep going though because I've never heard somebody say that using heat is better for their hair than not using it. Besides, if I can't learn to love my hair without heat, then who will?

~ Baggie Method. When I'm at home, my hair is covered with a baggie or thin plastic shower cap. Right now, I'm slathering my hair with some rosemary capilo conditioner and bagging it up. Is using deep conditioner okay for the baggie method or should I be using something different?

~ Product Cleaning. I am currently deciding what products I like and which ones I don't.  I personally like NTM a lot and Dove shampoo (so much moisture!). I think I'll stick to the cheapies like suave and vo5 for my CW. The verdict is still out on MTG...I may switch over to Mane and Tail Conditioner or just some straight up Sulfer 5. I like dominican products but they are expensive so if i don't see some growth, they may have to go. Again, we'll see in 5 weeks how my hair is.

I think my hair is growing out. I remember before I started this, I was so frustrated because I had had no hair at the sides of my head, prolly just 1 cm of hair there. I couldn't pull my hair back, it always had to be parted and combed over the sides. Also, my back was breaking like whoa. Now, my temple area is coming in quite nicely...but I am still not satisfied. All of my length is in the front half of my hair. The back half is so short and I know it's my fault. In July, I did a self trim before I found this site. This "trim" consisted of me combing my hair back and cutting to the back of the hairline --essentially, cutting the back portion only. I am such a DUMMY!!

As a result, I'm considering a BC...again. I know I should tell myself that my hair is growing in the back but the kitchen area just takes so much time growing in. It's so frustrating.

Has anyone had success growing out the kitchen area of their hair? What did you do?

Edited by canopy44
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 8:29am
UPDATE: I've been lazy and doing 1 co-wash a week. I've been moisturizing with my jojoba oil and aloe vera gel mixture. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 6:58pm

hmm...Difference between a dominican rinse and a dominican conditioner?- The rinse is actually meant to be used prior to shampooing (can also be used for co washes) and the conditioner which is thicker in consistency is meant to be used after shampooing.

UPDATE: My hair doing just fine- Still doing my co-washes 5x a week. shampooing and conditioning 2x a week- deep conditioning weekly. Also doing pre-shampoo/ends treatments of castor oil or jamaica black castor oil. Spritzing daily with my glycerin/water/aloe vera juice/eo mixture. Oiling scalp nitely and putting a thin plastic cap on.

Taking vitamins daily and drinking water.

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 1:33pm
Hi Canopy44! I was wondering that too! I have the same that you do and the ingredients are the same although the rinse is alittle lighter. Maybe it's good for conditioning washes. I'll be trying that next week!!
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 11:06am
i'm just curious. what is the difference between a dominican rinse and a
dominican conditioner? I have milk and honey rince from capilo and i like
it but something tells me i should be using the conditioner instead (i'm
always looking for a reason to go shopping!!) so can somebody explain
this one for me? thanks!
princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 12:06pm

my names J and Im new here.  I started growing my hair out in March after I had to have it cut for the 2nd time in 3 months.  By June, in the middle of my head, my hair had fell out and was literally only 3 cm long but longer everywhere else!  Now, its 12 inches long and in layers because I kept braids and I get it pressed , but I want it 19in and after I wore the braids my hair started shedding.  Can you all tell me how to determine my hairtype, and give me some tips for my, really kinky hair?

Edited by princess8907
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 1:34am

Glad everyone is doing well.

Cmesweet- your hair will grow back soon.

Kbaby-glad you found a product that you like.

Honeydoo-glad all is well with you.

I will probably trim on friday- my ends feel rough in the rear(where i primarily sleep at) and i have one dry patch back there- i was trying to hold out until december 18th but it is not looking good.

KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 6:49pm
Hi ladies!  I decided my hair cut from 2 weeks ago wasn't the best one for me, so I decided to cut it myself!  I cut about 2 inches off, so now it's only long enough for a 1/4" curling iron (in the back); the rest is still long enough for the 1 1/2" & 3/4" curling irons.  I'm happier with this length because it's "stylable"!  I also feel like it looks healthier this way.  It's so much thicker and there's less breakage since my initial cut 2 weeks ago.  I'm washing it twice a week now and deep conditioning once a week.  I read a post the other day that said Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner is really.  It just so happens that I bought it for my daughter a day or so before I read the post!  I like the smell and the added softness!  Thanks for all the great advice.  Hopefully in a few weeks my hair will be strong enough for braids!
HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 4:38pm

Welcome Nixx-Nixx. Glad you could join!!!

I "tweeked" my regimen alittle bit and it seems to be working quite well. Here it is:

Wed~ wash with CON. Rinse and comb through Capilo Milk and Rinse. I rinse and apply Milk and Honey Conditioner with a heating cap for 20 minutes. After rinsing, I apply Salerm21 and alittle WGO. I put into four braids to dry. The next morning I just unbraid and put into a clasp.

Sun~ I condition wash with Sole and Cinnamon RInse followed by S and C COnditioner for 20 minutes with heating cap. I apply the same products and wear the same style.

I don't wear my hair in too many buns but I make sure my ends are well moisturized and kept up off my clothes to prevent snagging. I relaxed on October 9th and so far I have about and 3/4 to and inch of new growth. So far so good.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 10:33am

Friday, I  trimmed my ends...yeah a trim not a dusting. I had knots galore and I think it was from using a blowdryer. My hair didn't air dry fast enough for the event I was going too and it was too cold to wear my hair wet/damp. I'm guessing it was time for a trim anyways and then I washed my hair c-w-c and then twisted it up. So I been twisted up since.

The trim was a setback but only a brief set back.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 12:34pm

Update:

Last nite- i added rosemary oil to my castor oil and then applied this to my ends and scalp, then put a thin plastic cap on my head.

This a.m.- i sat under the dryer for 10 mins. with the rosemary/castor oil mix.

Shampooed with Sally's generic version of Nexxus Aloe(clarifying shampoo)- noticed more shedding than usual- conditioned with Salon Care all-purpose remoisturizer conditioner- then applied my dominican roostertail- sat under my soft bonnet dryer for 50 mins. rinsed out- then spritzed with my glycerin/water/aloe juice/rosemary oil mixture. Great results.

then i pulled out a jar of lekair gel(the pink one) and twisted my hair. I love it- turned out great for a first timer.

NixxNixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NixxNixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2005 at 10:48pm

Hi Ladies,

I'd like to join the challenge.  I said good-bye to the weave in the summer of 2004.  It was a real challenge for me but I finally did it.  My hair has been feeling stronger and it has grown.  I had cut off my hair in a short flippy style but it is now starting to grow. 

So below are my goals and I look forward to the encouragement.  I have been following some of these techniques for a while and some of them I have added.

My GOAL:

To have my hair reach past my shoulder blade. All one length.

I massage my scalp with Herbal Glo everyday and when I don't use Herbal Glo I massage my scalp while i watch tv. (Herbal Glow has a nice tingly feeling on the scalp)

I shampoo and condition my hair every week sometimes every other week.  I use Optimum shampoo or Keracare(but Optimum smells better and it feels like it cleans the hair) and I use Mizani Moisturizing conditioner.  I leave it in with a cap and wash it out.

I then put KeraKare leave in conditioner mixed with Olive&Clove Oil therapy and I massage it into my hair and then I either roller set it or comb it out flat tie it down so it dries flat and sit under the hair dryer.  (Sometimes I blow dry it).

I've recently reduced my use of the curling iron. and I clip it up when I don't get to roller set it.

I drink Hair, Nail and Skin vitamins called Florasil.

I just started drinking Hemp Protein Power powder mixed with water or juice.  This I think will be great for hair growth because of the protein.

I just started drinking Vitamin C liquid vitamin.

My goal is to drink 4-5 glasses of water a day in addition to the  Hemp Protein Powder.

I hope this regimen will help my hair to grow. I want to reach my goal by February 2006 and right now it is at the base of my neck...I hope it is not wishful thinking.

Monet001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monet001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 9:46am

I'm still here too. I have been wearing cornrows and using Surge/MTG/WGO and I no longer have any WGO (til I get off of work) and I plan on wash/cond etc and take pics to see how long it has grown in 3 weeks and then cornrow again.

Anyone ready for the Winter yet??? I'm not still trying to get a regimen down with braids for the winter (the east coast gets brutal)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 32>
  Share Topic