Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 32>
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 7:47pm

AfroLatina has great advice! I want to add that trying Suave 2-minute repair/reconstructioner may help you. It doesnt make my hair hard at all...it smells like a perfume so you might want to sniff it before you purchase to see how u like it.

Earth Angel- it is ok if you do not have a regimen yet. We all started from somewhere. Even without a perfect regimen you can find ways to retain length such as not using heat as much and other things. So start from there...we are here to help you.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

afrolatina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 3:06pm

Savantrice -

I understand you are hesitant to try protein treatment or reconstrucor.  But there are lighter protein treatments out there that may work for you (Joico K Pak, ORS Hair Mayonaise w/ added egg yolk) and others that have been mentioned on these boards.)  One that I used and liked a lot was Frederic Fekkai Protein RX Hair Mask.  Also, there is one that forgot about but recently used again called Phytonectar Ultra Nourishing Oil Treatment (pre shampoo treatment w/ egg yolk nectar).  I have relaxed hair and sometimes when I my hair is overdue for wash or relaxer, I use a tiny bit of this in the more fragile areas of my hair.  Really helps prevent breakage.

*~earthangel*~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 2:19pm

Well to be honest im a bit embarrassed because all of you ladies seem to have a set regimen and i really dont. I dont have one specific shampoo that I use all the time. I just use whatever is available usually Suave which sucks cause it leaves my hair dry and hard. Up until a month ago I would use african pride grease on my hair but now i have switched to carrot oil every three days. Also my hair is usually plait in braids  but i have  had it out for the past month and have been getting used to combing my natural hair so its more bearable now that i have been taking the advice given in some of the columns. THANK YOU LADIESS!!! I waz really clueless before.

Thats about it in terms of care for my hair but i do want to change this and give my hair some more attention. NE suggestions??

My Fotki

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/24680082][/ur
savantrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savantrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:28pm

Hello all...i've been M.I.A. because of school. (midterms were last week and my hair didnt fall out because of stress.  yaaayyyy!  lol)

okay...nothing to report...i fell off my vitamin regimen (boo)

BUT i've been surprising myself at how disciplined i've been about the protective styling...(yaaayyy)...i'm in a 2 weeks of twists, wash and repeat sort of routine which i like.  my aunt threaded my hair and I was able to get 3 weeks out of that, so I was very pleased...it was a little tight though, so I can't do that too often, but I figure once every few months is cool just for a change.

I desperately need a trim to get rid of some more of this residual damage from my blow out fiasco 11 months (already?) ago.  but i've been putting it off...1. because i've been lazy and i need to get new hair scissors and 2. i'm really starting to see some growth (sometimes tuff w/ a natural and all that shrinkage) so i'm not really trying to cut it now.

i want to try a reconstructor because of the damage (or would that be a protein conditioner?), but i'm afraid because of the horror stories i've heard about people ending up with really hard hair.  i'm constantly fighting a battle to keep my Sahara-dry hair moisturized (daily application of Aveda leave in and Organic Root Olive Oil have been working nicely), so i'm afraid if i do the wrong thing with a reconstructor or protein conditioner (both of which i'm curious about but too scary to attempt) my hair will just break off.

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 10:27am
LOL @ Cmesweet- that's cool- i'll be the hair doctor.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 3:43pm
Welcome Earthangel!!!! It's okay if you don't have a regimen yet. Mine has changed a bit over this challenge as I learn more. I'm just now really comfortable with what I'm doing. Why don't you start by telling us what you do with your hair in a course of a week and we can help you from there.
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
*~earthangel*~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 4:11pm
I would like to join the challenge. I dont have a hair regimen yet but I'm open to sugestions. Currently my hair is 4a/4b natural and it is 2 inches past my shoulders. My goal is to hav waist length natural hair.
My Fotki

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/24680082][/ur
KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 1:26pm

I don't have much to update except that I will be going to the salon on Tuesday morning.  I decided I'd better not get braids right now because I don't think my hair is in good enough condition for that just yet.  There is this salon in Baton Rouge called Panache that I've heard people rave about for a long time.  A friend of a friend of mine gets her hair done by this guy & her hair is gorgeous.  She hasn't had a relaxer in almost a year.  When I saw her Wednesday night, her hair looks very healthy and is so soft and shiny - she gets it shampooed, blown out & pressed by this guy once every two weeks.  I made an appointment with him and hopefully he can get my hair to a healthy state w/out the relaxer as well!  Well, I'm sure I have to get some cut because I want layers, plus my ends are damaged.  I emailed them and after reading my email their response was that I probably need deep conditioning treatments and hydrating conditioner treatments as well.  I'll come back Tuesday and let you ladies know how it turns out!  Have a wonderful weekend!

HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2005 at 8:35am
Update:
Not much has changed with my routine. Except I can't CO my hairline two times in a row. I'll CO my whole head and then have to shampoo my hairline and condition it by itself. Washing that one section by itself makes it wave up too. But if I shampoo my whole head it just gets puffy. I've mostly been wearing protective styles like flat twists. I'm kind of confused. I want my hair to grow but I also want to BC and have short hair.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 10:40pm

Yes Honeydoo, growing and enjoying is what it's all about. Happy Belated birthday by the way. Good to hear that you found some products that work even better than the ones u had before.

Sound like u are doing the dang thang @ Carameldiva.  Also, when i read your posts on the forum it sounds like a perscription so I'm giving you the nick name as the hair doctor! Alrighty...who else has updates?!

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 9:09pm
I brought a spirally wig yesterday it's cute...I think i'm going to wear it on the weekends.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 7:17pm
So far so good. my hair is growing in nice and thick- had a little more shedding than usual when i pooed today so i will be using garilc shampoo and conditioner on monday. Still pooing twice a week- co washing 5 days a week. oiling with my rosemary oil, wheatgerm oil, sweet almond oil mixture. Spritzing daily with my glycerin/water/liquid aloe vera/eo mix. all is good.
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 7:11pm

Cmesweet, sound like your doing good! I'm glad your happy with your hair. Ultimately that's what it's about right? I guess it's time for updates huh? I've been M.I.A. for a few days because of midterms. Anyhoo, here's my update:

I've been using Capilo Sole and Cinnamon Rinse and Conditioner along with Garlic Shampoo, and Honey and Milk Rinse and conditioner for the past few weeks. My hair has remained soft and more manageable than before. It smells nice too! Last Thursday was my birthday so I wore my hair down all weekend. But since then I've been washing twice a week. One of those days is a conditioner wash with one of the rinses. My shedding has cut down, too. I've been putting my hair into two braids at night and then un-braiding and wearing it up in a clamp. It's quick and easy for me. I'm only 3 weeks post relaxer and I have "feelable" new growth. So far so good. Oh, and the Salerm 21 is a God sent for me. I'm not quite sure how you're suppose to apply it, but I use it as a leave in and moisturizer.

Other than that, I'm just happy midterms are over and I survived it all!! How is everyone else doing this month?

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2005 at 5:43pm
I haven't really been wearing protective styles for the past 2 weeks. I know it is still growing. We had a gathering the other day, the turn out was ok but I gave away lots of product samples, which included, motions, doctor miracles, loreal. I have loads of it...maybe i should charge for it !  Anyways, I plan on wearing my hair out all this week.I really enjoy my hair...I love it. Next week, twists for me. I love twists!
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 3:56pm

Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

Kbaby is your little boy ok?? Hope so. Three inches from brastrap will be reached in no time. I was wondering what the results of a texturizer would be. I didn't know you could use it without cutting the relaxed parts of the hair out.

Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

O...I hope your lil boy is ok now?  Please let us know...

It's good that you found something that worked for you. Glad that you gave us an update.

SORRY FOR THE LATE RESPONSE - BEEN SO-O-O-O-O BUSY!  Hi & thanks!  My son is doing ok!  We are battling right now over what he can eat as a snack!  That's the only hard part about all this - well, that & knowing that he has to stick himself all the time.  Hopefully it will get easier with time!

As for my routine, still using Nioxin!  The texturizer did what I wanted - not too straight but much easier to maintain.  I bought Pink Shortlooks and the spray that goes with it.  I also bought this stuff by Soft & Beautiful.  It's a light moisturizer that smells like mango - awesome scent and makes my hair really soft.  Taking vitamins again and trying not to use heat except for sitting under the hair dryer once a week.  I did use heat a lot this past weekend because I went to a wedding and couldn't figure out what to do with my hair!

Anyhoo, I hope ya'll are all doing ok with your hair care!  Until next time, have a wonderful day

HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 10:57pm
You are very welcome, canopy and please keep us posted girl. Cmesweet- let me know when you try the castor oil and how it works out for you.
canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 6:30pm

Honeydoo, I'm glad you're reporting good responses from the Capilo products, that makes me even more excited for them to arrive

Caramel -- Thanks for the tip on the Toque Agico. I buy most of my products online since I'm in the middle of nowhere. I will try to incorporate this into my routine, hopefully starting next week after I give my hair some moisture, if it is still breaking.

Cmesweet, I was looking at the VO5 oasis repair today at the store and I'm kicking myself because I didn't buy it, only to come home and read your reply. Guess it shows I need to be on this forum all the time or else i'll miss something. Next time I get a chance to go back, I'll pick some up, thanks for the reply.

You guys, thanks for your sweet responses. So much information, as always. I went out and bought NTM deep recovery hair mask and I'm going to try a deep conditioning tonight. Believe it or not, this is my first deep conditioner I've bought. Sometimes I would leave in conditioner longer before I rinsed it out -- that was my idea of a deep condition. But looking at the thickness of this hair mask and the smell makes me realize that my hair has been missing out on some goodness. I suspect part of the reason for breakage is stress and dryness as the seasons change. So I'm gonna do a very intensive moisture routine for the next week or so. I plan on starting with conditioner on my hair, then shampooing, then deep conditioning. Hopefully, I'll have some growth to report after this as well as no more breakage.

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:13pm

Hang on canopy!! I know how breakage can be. I just recently went on a dominican product spree but with good results. I have the Garlic Shampoo, Capilo Honey and Milk conditioner and Rinse, Sole and Cinnamon Con. and Rinse and Salerm21 protein treatment. I love them all and my hair responded well to all of it. The Garlic Shampoo is good with breakage as well. I plan on doing more conditioning washes this winter since my hair tends to dry out more than I would like it to. If you have any questions (which we all do) please feel free to post.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 12:01pm

Caramel- Well I might look into the black castor oil...I want to try the  regular castor oil first. Maybe in a week or so, I will try it, especially since I just ran out of olive oil.

Canopy- Hang in there girl... I know how badly you want it long right now, cause that's how I feel sometimes.  Have you tried using a reconstructioner for your hair...that may stop breakage, or atleast, slow it down. I recommend Suave 2 minute recovery reconstructioner  or v05 oasis repair.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 10:18pm
Protein treatments- i use three different ones: Lamaur's bone Marrow- this would be a lite protein treatment, Jherri Redding's 100% Natural Protein Conditioner- this would be considered a heavy protein and Toque Agico Emergencia treatmiento intensivo capilar- i think this is also a med/heavy protein treatment. The first two i purchased at Sally's beauty supply and the last one is a dominican product that everyone including me after today raves about- i got it at www.ibeautyny.com - i used it with heat and my hair responded well. It did not make my hair hard at all. I have had good results with all three. Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 32>
  Share Topic