Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
Author
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grow-Out Challenge 2005
    Posted: February 23 2005 at 11:25pm
Alright Ladies, here it is! I thought it would be a great idea to have a Grow-Out challenge because alot of us are trying our best to reach that goal. This site is great but we need alittle extra motivation and support---who better than each other?? So This will be the thread to help us reach that goal. Here is what we could do:

1. First, if you're ready to jump on the bandwagon, post here to let me know. I'll update the list as necessary.
2. The Challenge will not start until March 1st and go until March 2006.
3. If you do not have a hair journal, think about keeping one. It doesn't have to be online, but it will help you keep track of your good and bad points during this year.
4. Keep a photo of your current length and a picture of the length you want somewhere handy so you can see them for motivation. ( Like my hair idol Ananda Lewis---just gorgeous!!)
5. If you don't already have a regimen, try to stick to one. Post it here so you'll have it. Also post your hair type.It'll make things simplier in the long run. Think of everything you'll need (e.g. pre-treatment, shampoo, protein treatment, conditioners, etc.) Include a daily schedule such as what day of the week you'll do what to your hair. When you get into a routine, it makes it easier to follow.
6. Measure your hair so you'll know what your starting point is.
7. Ok this one will be the hardest to do but go through all of your products and weed out what you 're hanging onto but you really don't need (if it applies to you). I'm talking to all the Product Junkies myself included. And you never know, what doesn't work for one person may be perfect for the next. If you are going to pitch something maybe someone on this site thread could use it. (Like a product trade.)
8. Lastly, if you are going to change your diet to aid in your hair growth, site it here. That includes vitamin supplements, juicing, whatever.

Ok ladies, I may have forgot something. Please feel free to add on or make suggestions. We'll learn from each other. You can post on this thread with tips, recipes, to vent, or rave about your progress. Otherwise each month we'll check in with each other to lend whatever support we can and see how each of us are doing.

Sound good???? Hopefully so. Like I said, please add on or add opinion. I have to go through my products first but I'll come back and post my things.
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 7:30am
Sounds good...I wanted to add that trying protective styling could help aid in retaining length as well.

Hair type: 4a and 4B natural

Just started January diet for hair and health .... *fried foods once or 2 times a month
*no sweets ( im addicted to sweets so when i *moved into my apartment i stopped buying them)
*Lots and lots and lots of water
*one a day vitamins
*exercise jog 6 miles a week, hoping to do more but i walk everywhere right now so thats exercise as well.
*haven't soda in 1.5 years cause of my skin and i think it helps with hair as well.

Hair health...
* Limit heat, so far I have used it once or 2 times within the last 9 months.
*keep hair clean
*well moisturized.
* in winter, I tie it up before going out the door
*tie it up at night as well.

I started limiting my products, the more products the harder my hair gets. So less products works for me...right now i just use

shampoo or gentle cleansing soap and conditioner (white rain and suave). After I run out of shampoo or organic soap, i'm just going to stick to conditioner. Try to keep in protective styles...wash every 2 days, rinse inbetween...Use essential oils in my conditioners ONLY cause if I put them directly on my hair, it gets weird.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 8:18am
Let's see- i'm a 3c.

Condition Wash daily.

Moisturize nitely w/tallow, organic hair butter, cocoa butter, sal butter, avocado oil and whatever else i have on hand. Massage scalp and cover w/ thin plastic cap.

Shampoo weekly-deep condition weekly.

Currently at tip of nose in front, 2 inches past ear on the side, touching back of neck in the rear.

Short-term Goal- chin length all the way around.
Long-term Goal- Bra-strap length.

i'll keep a daily journal and trim as necessary along the way. Plan to continue taking vitamins and drinking water.

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
diamondprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:43am
I'm 4a- relaxed

I am currently just below chin length (bob).
Short-term Goal- shoulder length.
Long-term Goal- Bra-strap length.

Wash 2 times per week using NTM products.
Deep condition with NTM mask mixed with Keraphix or Aussie 3 min miracle mixed with EVOO

Airday with hair in wrap - products NTM silk leave in and Mango Butter.

Flat iron Once per week

Wrap hair nightly put on silk scarf.

Moisturize (Shea butter) as needed.

My hair is like this except it's about 1 inch shorter.

DiamondPrincess   

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 11:45am
I'd like to join the challenge. My hair is relaxed.
I don't have a regimen. I have 4a hair.

Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
tp1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tp1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 2:58pm
Ladies, count me in!!!!

I grew locks for twelve years, and learned a lot about hair growth-- there were times when I could actually sit on my locks.

In Kathy Howse's book "Ultra Black Hair Growth II", she dispels many myths that we've been holding onto via our ancestors-- eg., "brushing stimulates hair growth". Well, this can't be true because people with locks have easy, fast hair growth and there's no brushing involved.... she goes on to explain many things like that.

Anyway, I cut my locks on Feb 11, (about 2 weeks ago). It's maybe about 2" all the way around, maybe a little more.

I started taking Exotic Allure and I drink 40-64 oz. of water daily anyway.

I have noticed hair growth already-- I know I'm not trippin. They say you can double your growth rate in as little as 45 days.

I've seen the difference in my nails already.

Oh- I have it in braids right now.

Anyway, I would like to see at least 6 inches by July. Am I trippin?
Jesuschristis#1inmylife View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesuschristis#1inmylife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 7:44pm
I'd like to join too.

*I don't know exactly what my hair type is
*My goal is to reach bra strap length
*I'm growing out my relaxed hair, but I'll probably get a curl when it fully grows out
*I plan on wearing twists
*I wash my hair w/ Tea Tree Naturals Shampoo, condition it w/ Dark and Lovely Conditioner, and moisterize w/ B&B oil
*I'm going 2 try this new conditioner where you use 1 whole egg, beaten, and let it sit on wet hair for a minute, then put a little mayo on and do the same. Then you shampoo it out. It's supposed to promote faster hair growth. I researched it from Napputality.com
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 8:24pm
Grow-Out CHallenge Bandwagon:

Me (Honeydoo)
Carmeldiva
Diamondprincess
Layla
Tp1
Cmesweet
Jesuschrist#1inmylife

Pretty good so far!! Cmesweet, thanks for mentioning the protective styles! How could I forget that? Anyway, here is my plan:

-First, I'm 4a/b all over, except for the front where I'm 3c. My hair is an inch from my shoulders in the front and an inch below it in the back.
-My regimen includes a pretreatment every time I wash. (Usually Vo5 conditioner or an oil mixture.)
-Shampoo with CON every 2 weeks. Conditioning wash twice week. Deep condition once a week.
-Relax every 3 months (if stretching is possible.)
-Higher protein Treatment once a month. (My conditioners have a good amount of protein already.)
-Wear twist-outs and buns more often. Also rollersetting.
-Keep sleeping on my satin pillowcase and make sure to cover my hair when there is blistery weather.
-Moisturize a couple times a day.
(I have Surge but I'm afraid to use it!!)
-Add more beggies to my diet. I already it tons of fish and beans. I don't eat red meat or pork. Linit my sugar intake.
-TONS of H2O!!!
-I take a One a day Women's multivitamin, Cod Liver Oil tablets, Evening Primrose. (I may add another.)
-Exercise (I have Taebo and Pilates tapes. Let me dust them off!!)

I think thats it for me. I may keep a journal to keep track. I'll be coming back and forth to this thread to add on names and check in with everyone. I have to go through my products because there are tons of things I'm never going to use again.
vickyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 3:17pm
Hello all, I am new to this forum and I would like to participate in the Hair Growth Challenge. I don't really have a set scheldule.

I don't really know what type of hair I have. I have been told its fine by some and coarse by others.

I have two styles -- a bun and layered bob. When I wear a bun, I shampoo and condition every day or every other day. I tried the conditioner wash once with suave conditioners, but my scalp was very itchy and I had to shampoo.

When I wear my hair down, I will probably shampoo, condition once or twice a week with Loreal Vive Smooth Intense Shampoo, Conditioner. Blowdry hair and add Smooth Intense Anti-Frizz Cream and then Biosilk Therapy and then flat iron. At night I will wrap my hair.

I am a product junkie, but these things are what I have been using lately. Also, I have order the Sedu Flat Iron which I expect to arrive later this week.

I will try to exercise at least three times a week and drink lots of water ( I'm not usually a water drinker), cut back on fried foods and take a muti-vitamin daily.

I am also plan to get trims every 8-10 weeks.

That's all I can think of right know but I will keep you posted on my routine if things change.
"And this too shall pass."
Kim J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2005 at 9:06pm
You can count me in...

I'm mostly a 4a with a few different textures mixed in.
I am natural in that I don't currently have any relaxer or other chemical process in my hair.

I shampoo, deep condition, use a leave in conditioner, blow dry and flat iron once a week using a heat protectant.

I moisturize everyday or so with light amount of Shea Butter, carrot oil or a light coating of one of several other oils.

I usual wrap my hair and wear it straight. Sometimes I wear braids or cornrows and wigs.

My hair is currently layered. It is apox. 4" above my bra strap in the back a few inches past my shoulders on the sides and gets shorter up to and above my chin as you go around.

I take a multi vitamin, hair formula vitamin, and a Omega 3 complex daily.

I try to wrap my hair with a scarf nightly.

I'm working on improving my diet and water intake.
I will try to start a journal as well.
-Happy Hair Days
Kim
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 8:35am
Just wanted ya'll to know that I took my hair down or let it out so I can see my current hair status. I added it to my album...check it out if u like

www.public.fotki.com/jonesrey
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

njc2410 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njc2410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 12:30pm
How do you determine what type of hair you have?
Kim J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 3:55pm
Hey Cmesweet,

I can't open you link...Maybe the site is down. By the way...Is foki free? I would like to post a beginning photo. I think it would be great if we all could all post photos once a month or so starting at this time so we can see our progression.
-Happy Hair Days
Kim
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 5:01pm
Sorry about that, yes Fotki is free. After you pass a quota u may have to buy space or just get another free account.

I started my album about 2 months after I big chopped and have recent pics as well.

http://public.fotki.com/jonesrey/
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

kally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 7:44pm
Perfect Idea I just had to cut me hair into a TWA due to many bad relaxer and micros so I am sporting that for a while this is the shortest I have ever had my hair so it is kind of sad. I am going natural I was told before that my hair could not stand a relaxer because it is to soft and fine. Years later I guess it caught up to me. I will use the tips I see on this site.
"God makes no mistakes" he created you the way you are suppose to be.
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 9:36pm
Kally
Kim J
Vickyd

WELCOME!!!!

The more the merrier!! We start tomorrow so I hope you guys are ready!! I might put up a picture gallery on Fotki. I haven't been on here in a few days because my mom was in the hospital. She just got home a few hours ago, but I stayed with her there for 3 days. Let me tell you, I thought I would mess up the first day of our challenge but thankfully I'm back.

We'll be here for each other throught the bad hair days and the good ones. (Try to get pictures of the good ones!) We all need alittle inspiration from time to time. And you can share what is working for you if you're having growing success. But of course, stick to something that works for you. Like for me, braids don't work. I do twists instead. Whatever you're comfortable with. (But drink alot of water!!)

HAPPY GROWING!!!!!
diamondprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 5:15am
Good Luck every1 !!!!
DiamondPrincess   

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 11:47am
Good luck... did my link work?
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 11:47am
Good luck... did my link work?... can they make this a sticky so we won't have to find it every month, it will just be on top of the site when we click on "African American"
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 12:08pm
How do they make it a sticky?? That's a good idea. Cmesweet, your link worked and I love the picture of you with the flower 'fro! Did you make that band yourself?

Ok, this is day 1 and I've been drinking tons of water already. I took my vitamins and I will be washing my hair later on. I'm also going to measure my strands too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
  Share Topic