Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

How do they make it a sticky?? That's a good idea. Cmesweet, your link worked and I love the picture of you with the flower 'fro! Did you make that band yourself?

Ok, this is day 1 and I've been drinking tons of water already. I took my vitamins and I will be washing my hair later on. I'm also going to measure my strands too.

I guess we have to write to the moderator and ask them to make it a sticky...not sure.

The band was a piece of material I had picked up a while back, ...I just took a flower and put it close to it to make it look like a part of it. Thanks for telling me it works and the compliment!

I drunk water today I can't remember if i took my vitamin.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

savantrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savantrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 4:28pm
Hey everyone...new to the board, but I want to join the challenge too!

I've had a natural for about two years , so my hair is curly/kinky as well as fine.
i just got on the no 'poo method two months ago, and i'm loving it! i wash my hair about once a week, and deep condition with 2 parts moisturizing conditioner (currently using John Frieda) and one part Virgin Olive Oil...my hair loves it. after, i grease my scalp with this shea butter and essential oil product that i get from a local guy.

i usually do two strand twists, and then maybe a twist out. but i'm still trying to learn about styling options. i'm avoiding braids, which are a crutch for me, since that's all i ever wore from the age of about seven to when i started growing out my hair a couple years back.

anyway, my current hair issues stems from having my sister blow-out my hair...(it was the first time i'd put heat to my natural hair) i forgot to put a protectant on it...and because it is kinky now, she blew it out with a round brush and blowdryer and THEN followed up with a hotcomb. so you know i fried my hair something terrible.
my split ends have splits...i'm not having an breakage tho', which is a testament to how strong my hair is now, so i've been doing a lot of cutting lately just trying to get rid of heat damage.

my goals overall are:
- to keep growing my hair (as well as eventually cut out all my splits) and
-learn some new natural styling options
-maybe get some new product recommendations (esp. conditioners)

aaannndddd, tha'ts it...sorry for the novel
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 8:21am
Hey welcome...there are lots of styles that naturals can wear. I'll find to find some links for ya.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 11:03am
Savantrice, Welcome

Sorry to hear about your hair fry. That use to happen to me when I went to the salon alot. Then I noticed that my hair does alot better when I do it myself. I have a question for you though, I was thinking about growing my relaxer out and going natural. (I have 4a relaxer hair alittle past my shoulders right now) I was researching using Hennalucent every 2 weeks to keep my hair strong and new growth managable, but I was wondering when did you finally chop of the relaxed ends.
vickyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 9:37pm
honeydoo thanks for the welcome. Hope all is well with your mom.
"And this too shall pass."
savantrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savantrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 9:59am
Thanks for the welcome e'erbody.

and HoneyD, I actually don't know what hennalucent is unfortuntaley, the first time i even saw the word was on the site.

like i said i wore braids all the time.
so i was wearind diff. braid styles back to back (cornrows, single braids, etc)...i'd take my hair out one night, trim my hair the next day, and get it rebraided that afternoon...(yes, i hated fussing with my hair THAT much)
so i just trimmed the relaxed part out every time i took my hair down.
i did that for a few months until i had enough new growth to braid by itself and then i cut ALL the perm out because my hair looked a hot mess with two opposite textures...
i loved it when i did that final chop, because for the first time, ever part of every strand on my head was finally healthy

when it comes to transitioning, you need some real cajones to just cut your hair off...i personally only know one woman that went that route. i think its easier to deal with (on a number of levels) to keep your hair in some type of protective style while it grows out a little bit.
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 6:34pm
Thanks Vickyd. My mom is alright now, thanx for asking. And thanks Savantrice for the tips. I don't know if I have guts enough to chop my hair. But I will wait between my next relaxer and see how my new growth comes in.

Also, I just added MSM powder to my vitamin regimen. I got a big container enough to last 180 days. ( It was 17.99) The product junkie came out in me and I also snagged a bottle of Nature's Gate Sea Kelp conditioner. I couldn't help it.

But to start off, my sisters have noticed my hair growth just from my last relaxer in the last week of December. I think it has grown an inch or so since then so I guess I average 1/2 inch a month. But I think it's going to jump start to an inch with my new regimen.
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 7:03pm
I know u didnt ask me honeydoo, but some people just do small trims as they transition. I did that for 4.5 months then i just cut everything off. But i do know people who have succesfully done it longer than me, with the small trims as the hair newgrowths arrive.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 5:53pm
Thanx Cmesweet! Any info from anyone is helpful. I think that maybe transitioning isn't for me at this stage in my life. Plus, I was thinking back to when I began relaxing and to be hones, I think my hair has been very healthy throughout so I guess I'll keep my chemically altered hair for now!
Missaol View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missaol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 7:30pm
WOW this is such a great Idea!!! I hev 4a/4b relaxed hair.

I have just recoverd from a thin hair point in my life I kept trimming and put medium sized extensions in my hair and I got my thickness back. I"M SO HAPPY about that!! now I have large cornrows in that have been in for two weeks. I plan on keeping them in for one more week then getting a touch up. I'll post my results of my growth then. Until then GOOD lUCK to Everyone!

P.S my length that I know of now is to my shoulder blades. We'll see how lmuch its grown by next week!
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 8:02pm
Welcome Missaol!!!
Another 4a/b relaxed! (I'm a 4a) Thanks for joining. In a month we'll see how we are all doing. Hopefully really well. Do you have a regimen??
vickyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 7:09pm
Hey everybody,

Just a note to update on how I'm coming with growth challenge.

1. Drinking more water (this is difficult for me b/c I am such a soda drinker).

2. Taking a daily multivitamin - (pretty good- when I remember)

3. My hair is now about an inch or so past my shoulders, but its approaching spring and it gets hot in south ga. so I plan to alternate weeks where I wear my hair down with weeks where I wear a bun. I have noticed that I have gotten faster hair growth with my bun.

When I wear my hair in a bun, I wash and condition it with whatever I'm using that week and then I add two or three leave-ins and put it up in a bun while it's damp. I will wear a scarf over my hair at night to smooth it and protect it. And I will wear it like this for a day or two. Then I will repeat this process. Sometimes everyday or three times a week. I have worn this style for months at a time then I will wear it down and marvel at the growth.

As far as products go -- I have sooooo many that I am trying to use the old stuff up before I splurge on new stuff. I have been tempted and so far I have resisted --- OOPs I forgot I just placed an order for Lacio Lacio from sickbay. well I did say I was a recovering PJ
Missaol View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missaol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 9:15pm
Here is what I do

1. I make sure to keep my ends trimmed and Healthy.

2. I drink lots of water

3. I Keep my hair In prtective stlyes and manipulate it as least as possible!(this REALLY hepls)

4. As for washing If I don't have braids in I wash it Once a week or sometimes Once every two weeks. (I go to my beautician for my washes and touch ups)

5. I make sure I get treatments on my hair when I go to beautician.

Sometimes I do wash my own hair and when I do I wash it once with a clearifier and once with Pantene Relaxed and Natural for women of color.
I then deep condition for as long as 45 mins with Revenue under a hooded dryer with a plastic cap covering my hair. I then Wash that out and let my hair hair dry for a while after applying a leave-in conditioner(Mazani). Then I sit under the dryer for about 10 mins and Blow dry ON LOW HEAT until my hair is dry. I found that letting your hair air dry at first really reduces the amout of heat you have to use to dry my hair which helps keep my hair from frying. The combination of all the things(1-5) as well as my own washing I do on occasions really has hepled my hair a great deal.

If there is one thing I think has really helped my hair I would have to say it is the Trimming. I found that I must keep the ends of my hair trimmed in order to achive a nice healthy look. I used to fear getting my hair trimmed or cut but now I absolutly Love it beacause my hair really looks 100% better immediatly after I trim it!
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 9:53pm
Does anyone here do their own trims??? I'm so afraid to go to the salon because they always CUT (SLICE, CHOP, you name it) a good size portion off. I need to start fresh with good ends though.
Missaol View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missaol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 3:14pm
I'm glad you asked that Honyedoo. I actually do my own trims because I don't trust my beautician doing it. The first and last time she gave my a trim was just under 2 years ago and I never let her do it ever since then because she cut too much off. So now I do it my self and It turns out great!
vickyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 2:40am
I have done my own trims in the past, but it was when I had all over layers -- less noticable if you mess up. But since I have grown out my layers and now have a style along the lines of a bob with beveled ends I have resisted. I generally get a cut about once every three months, because the salon I really like to use is about three hours away and I have been disappointed with the trims I have gotten locally. But as you can imagine by the time I get to the salon --WHOOO -- those ends are ready to go.
JadeGoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 8:37am
I know I'm coming in wicked late, but I just joined the community last night. I would love to participate in the challenge; is it too late to join in?

I have 4b natural hair that I have been wearing in a TWA for almost three years. It's only about 2" long now because I tried relaxing it at 2 different times, then changed my mind and cut it all off again. I did my last big chop on 1/8/05, and I am planning to start relaxing my hair again this month--I want to grow it out for my wedding in October. I am working on creating a hair care regimen, which I will post ASAP.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 12:32pm
Hi Jade Goddess!!

Nope, it's not too late to join! Anyone can join at anytime.
Welcome to the board. Happy Hair Growing!!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 2:45pm
Welcome all new joiners! Glad to see ya'll here at the challenge with us.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

kally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 7:03pm
Honeydoo I would just find a trusting friend who knows what they are doing. The hair salons do have the tendcy to get ssr happy.
"God makes no mistakes" he created you the way you are suppose to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 32>
  Share Topic