Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 32>
Author
BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 12:22pm

carameldiva,

How long have you been using the Shapleys? Have you seen any results thus far, i.e., growth, softness, etc?  I've been reading about this on numerous sites with pretty good reviews (besides the smell---read that was pretty bad ???). I'm tempted to try it but didnt want to waste $$$$ if it's not worth it. I'm pretty new to the boards and trying not to run out and buy everything that I read about. That and I have sooooooooooo many products now I need to finish before purchasing anything else. So what have you noticed so far in changes to your hair?

~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 12:51pm

Update- Right now I am working on my short term goal...which is... to wear a style for more than a week. I am on week one,  going on week two ( for me). Anyways, last week I washed doing my conditioner-wash-conditioner method, then moisturized my hair with my homemade sheaaloe and then braided it. It is very soft and I have rinsed it and sprayed with my spritz (water and coconut/jojoba oil) and it still feels great! I usually wear a head wrap because I keep wanting to take it down. So that is my update...

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 1:41pm

Ya'll please excuse all my questions, but I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to get my hair back on the right track after much neglect!! This boards have been a great source of knowledge and inspiration for me...I've been at home the last few days w/ my daugther and I have to pry myself away form these sites....

cmesweet, you mentioned using coconut and jojoba oil. I purchased a container of Organic virgin coconut oil today from my health food store. However, it's not in oil form like I thought. It's a thick, white solid substance with a little oil film on top!!??? Did yours come this way? What I did to use it was put a little in a container and melt down in the microwave. Is this ok?   Also, if I'm not being too nosy where did you purchase your jojoba oil? My HFS had a small bottle (appx. 4 ozs) for 13.00!!! Do you know if any other store besides an HFS that I may be able to get this for less and in a larger size? ( I'm kinda leery about online purchasing)  I knew it would be expensive, but wow! And for so little...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice ...

~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Jesuschrist#1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesuschrist#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 5:36pm
Update: I've been using Wild Growth Hair Oil for about a week now, and I've noticed a lot of shine and body. It still looks like I just relaxed it. I haven't used any heat products because it stays straight because I wrap it at night using hair pins and a silk scarf. I cut some of the split ends off, and my hair still seems like it's growing. I like the length that I have now, but my goal is still bra strap. Tonight I'm going 2 wash and condition my hair and use the oil to moisterize it. The oil is the only styling product I need for my hair type because it makes my hair very manageable. Well, that's about all for my update. God bless you all and happy hair-growing! Peace, love, and blessings

Much luv
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 6:35pm

I haven't been in the Challenge that long. But I would like to update. I have been washing two-three times a week. Sometimes I  just put conditioner on my hair cover it with a plastic cap, and rinse in the morning. I got my shealoe butter. I am loving it. I have been putting a little Elasta Qp on my hair, then use the shealoe on my scalp and ends.  I have been putting my hair into two low poneytails to airdry after washing, conditioning, or just wetting it. When It dryes It is usually fairly straight, so I put it into two or three french braids and wear them untill I go someplace, then wear a braid out untill I wash/rinse again. Yesterday after rinsing Out conditoner I slept in I used my Henna n' Placenta finally. Then I followed with Humectress, applied shealoe, and elasta QP Recovery. Then I air dryed and french braided, and my hair looks so shiny and healthy. It is soft and verry moisturized. I just relaxed 2 weeks ago, and don't really see much growth, but I can deffinatly tell the condition of my hair has improved quite a bit. I just needed to show it some more attention, and love.  I should have some growth to report next month!

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 7:52pm
cmesweet...im using some coconut oil i got from walmart. It's actually for cooking. Is that okay?
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by BrownEyez2 BrownEyez2 wrote:

cmesweet, you mentioned using coconut and jojoba oil. I purchased a container of Organic virgin coconut oil today from my health food store. However, it's not in oil form like I thought. It's a thick, white solid substance with a little oil film on top!!??? Did yours come this way? What I did to use it was put a little in a container and melt down in the microwave. Is this ok?   Also, if I'm not being too nosy where did you purchase your jojoba oil? My HFS had a small bottle (appx. 4 ozs) for 13.00!!! Do you know if any other store besides an HFS that I may be able to get this for less and in a larger size? ( I'm kinda leery about online purchasing)  I knew it would be expensive, but wow! And for so little...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice ...

Coconut oil can become a solid, I believe after it hits above 65-70 degrees it has a tendency to become a liquid.  There are multiple ways to melt it but I try to not over heat it so what i do is...run hot water in the sink, make sure the stopper is down so the water can't go out. Then i place the container in the water. This way it melts slowly and u can get the amount u want, without melting all of it. (Over heating can cause substances to loose some of its nutrience, thats why I would do the hotwater method i stated)

I purchased my jojoba oil at a health food store back in my home town, it was a small container but it was like 4.99. Recently, in the college town that i reside in right now, I went to the health food store and they too had jojoba oil in such a small bottle for 13.00.  You may have to try multiple health food stores and sometimes grocery stores will have a few essential oils near the vitamin area or pharamacy location.

Also, try calling around to different health food stores and compare their prices. Sometimes arts and crafts stores carry these oils, I would look in the "make your own lotion" or "beeswax" section.

No you are not being nosy, I'm glad to help.

cmesweet...im using some coconut oil i got from walmart. It's actually for cooking. Is that okay?

Yes, it is ok. Coconut oil can be used for multiple things, cooking, sun tanning, cosmetics and so on.

I have used canola oil (yes the cooking kind) it has soybean oil , olive oil and another kind and i was like, well if u can put all that in your hair i might as well try it. It was all i had at the time, but it made my hair feel the same as olive oil.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 11:42pm
Browneyes2- i pm'ed you with the answers to your questions. If you have anymore. Please feel free to ask.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 1:03am
carameldiva, I got it. Thanks so much! I pm'd you back. I really appreciate all of you guys advice. You're so informative and helpful! And yes, I have tons of questions which you'll be seeing from time to time until I get this hair thing down.  I don't have a regimen exactly, just trying to figure out for now what does and doesn't work for me. Hopefully I'll have it all figured out soon. Thanks again!
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 5:16pm

Hi Everyone!!! Its been a LOOOONG week for me but here is my update!!

Update~ I am 6 weeks post-relaxer with about 3/4 inch of new growth already....a record for me. The new growth is alot softer than the rest of my hair which I attribute to MSM. I've been washing twice a week with one washing beeing with conditioner. I am using the same products I always have been and making sure to moisturize more often. I haven't done the baggie mehtod this month because I've been doing braidouts twice a week.  My hair overall is shinier and is growing good in just this month. The future is looking mighty bright!!

I have used coconut oil in my hair in the past but have noticed that I can only use it in the summer time when it is warmer because up here near the lake it gets COLD in the winter and the oil hardens on my hair. I have been switching between carrot, tea tree, and jojoba oil depending on my mood. I'm doing a rollerset today.

I'm glad to see everyone is doing well!!! Lets go for MONTH 2!!

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 5:25pm

Just an interesting bit of information for you guys too:

Castor oil is not only good for your hair, but for alot of other problems as well. When taken in it's true form (go to the health food store for this one.) it can knock out the common cold,clear up congestion, gastrointestinal problems, diarrhea, cuts, burns, muscle aches, eye discharge, skin irritation, and dry skin...to name a few. It will also help your hair from the inside out and you'll see the change in just days in your hair and skin. Thought I would pass it on.  

vickyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 4:56am

Just an update--

This past week or so has been pretty hectic and I have been wearing my hair in a bun, washing and co-washing about three to four times this week. 

I have rec'd a number of products that I have ordered through the mail, but haven't used them yet.  I rec'd Phytorelaxer Index 2, a phytospecific balm, intense shampoo and vital creme bath deep conditioner.  Also I ordered try me sizes of some aubrey orgranics products (GPB conditioner; JAY Shampoo; Primrose Tangle and Go Hair Conditioner; White Camellia Shampoo and Conditioner Spray; and B-5 Design Hair Gel) I haven't rec'd these yet.

My ends seem in need of a trim and I haven't had the opportunity to get that done either.  I plan to do a deep conditioner and flat iron my hair this week.  I hope to do this sometime tomorrow evening.  I hope to post pictures to my fotki album as a 1 month challenge update.  If not tomorrow then sometime inthe upcoming week.

BTW -- great photos cece (cute son) and renee -- you both seemed to have made some good progress

"And this too shall pass."
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2005 at 2:27pm
thanks vicky....my hair doesnt seem to be growing since my relaxer ( im like 3 weeks post) since i reduced my dosage of biotin. Ive ordered 3 bottles from puritan's pride. I got some castor oil and mixed it with my other oils and i use this to seal in moisture. i ordered some ylang ylang oil to add to my oil mixture to give it a nice smell. I got a bottle of kenra moisturising conditioner and compared to humectress, this thingy gave my hair a little more slip. im not sure if its actually moisturising but we'll see. I did a protein with joico k-pak reconstructor and i prefer this to aphogee. I just dont like the way my hair gets hard after aphogee....umm...so far i guess im just waiting for my slow growing hair to grow :(
kally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2005 at 9:38pm
I also have been working alot of over time. my hair is growing but it seemes very slowly I have been taking Biotin,Flax seed oil, Multivitaim and silica daily as well as drinking plenty of water. I excercise cut out junk food, wash  and deep condition my hair weekly, massage my scalp nightly and still do not seem to see improment in groth I just found out I have type 3c hair. Any tips on how to ake my hair grow faster.
"God makes no mistakes" he created you the way you are suppose to be.
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 8:58am

kally, how long have u been taking the vitamins? I heard that they dont start working till after three months....

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 11:48am
I haven't been on this thread in forever. I feel so bad. Can someone tell me what their hair journal looks like? I want to start one but I don't know what it's supposed to look like.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Mrs.Robertson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 4:25pm

I just wanted to say I know Im late but count me in the challenge. My hair is natural and my hair type is 3c/4a hair . I just started today Im doing a healthy hair and diet challenge. Im eating healthier  I have cut out all sweets and soda, and Ive up my water intake. Ive also started an egg challenge since eggs have protein and they are supposed to help with hair growth. I will be eating 2 to 4 eggs a day probally in an egg sandwitch or boiled either way i will be getting that down every day. Also im doing the  Robin Wood  Grown and glory method  im following that somewhat but i am changing a few things tho. Im wearing my hair in 2strandtwists for my protectice style Washing and conditioning my hair about 1x a week and deep condition every month. Wearing something at night over my head, and  also either oiling my scalp with shea butter or olive oil, also i forgot to say i leave my hair twisted for 2months befoe i take them down and re do them.

I guess thats it

Good luck to all the ladies.

Edited by Mrs.Robertson
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 11:51pm
Hey Mrs. Robertson! Welcome to the challenge! It's never too late to join. You sound like you are on the right path so far. Diet has sooo much to do with our overall health including our hair, however be careful about how many eggs you are taking in one day. While it is a good source of protein it is also high in cholesterol. There are alot of great protein foods to choose from including yogurt, beans, soy products, pb, fish, and red meats (Although red meat is not the healthiest option of them all). Anyway, welcome to the board and I hope you like it here! Happy Growing!!!
Mrs.Robertson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 9:43am

Thank for having me, oh yea and i forgot about other things with protein in them LOL

Again thanks for having me.

3c/4a- HairType
Hair Growth Challenge and Healthy Eating Challenge Start's 04-11-2005
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 7:02pm
It's almost the end of the month!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 32>
  Share Topic