Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 32>
Author
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 6:58pm

hmm...Difference between a dominican rinse and a dominican conditioner?- The rinse is actually meant to be used prior to shampooing (can also be used for co washes) and the conditioner which is thicker in consistency is meant to be used after shampooing.

UPDATE: My hair doing just fine- Still doing my co-washes 5x a week. shampooing and conditioning 2x a week- deep conditioning weekly. Also doing pre-shampoo/ends treatments of castor oil or jamaica black castor oil. Spritzing daily with my glycerin/water/aloe vera juice/eo mixture. Oiling scalp nitely and putting a thin plastic cap on.

Taking vitamins daily and drinking water.

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 8:29am
UPDATE: I've been lazy and doing 1 co-wash a week. I've been moisturizing with my jojoba oil and aloe vera gel mixture. 
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 6:22pm

UPDATE:

school is done for the semester (yay! lets hope i got a good gpa!) and i have a 5 week winter break. i decided to go on a few personal challenges during this time.

~ No Heat. I've been doing this since Nov 28...and I can't stand it! I feel that as the days go on, my hair gets more and more difficult to manage and that it looks shorter. I'm gonna keep going though because I've never heard somebody say that using heat is better for their hair than not using it. Besides, if I can't learn to love my hair without heat, then who will?

~ Baggie Method. When I'm at home, my hair is covered with a baggie or thin plastic shower cap. Right now, I'm slathering my hair with some rosemary capilo conditioner and bagging it up. Is using deep conditioner okay for the baggie method or should I be using something different?

~ Product Cleaning. I am currently deciding what products I like and which ones I don't.  I personally like NTM a lot and Dove shampoo (so much moisture!). I think I'll stick to the cheapies like suave and vo5 for my CW. The verdict is still out on MTG...I may switch over to Mane and Tail Conditioner or just some straight up Sulfer 5. I like dominican products but they are expensive so if i don't see some growth, they may have to go. Again, we'll see in 5 weeks how my hair is.

I think my hair is growing out. I remember before I started this, I was so frustrated because I had had no hair at the sides of my head, prolly just 1 cm of hair there. I couldn't pull my hair back, it always had to be parted and combed over the sides. Also, my back was breaking like whoa. Now, my temple area is coming in quite nicely...but I am still not satisfied. All of my length is in the front half of my hair. The back half is so short and I know it's my fault. In July, I did a self trim before I found this site. This "trim" consisted of me combing my hair back and cutting to the back of the hairline --essentially, cutting the back portion only. I am such a DUMMY!!

As a result, I'm considering a BC...again. I know I should tell myself that my hair is growing in the back but the kitchen area just takes so much time growing in. It's so frustrating.

Has anyone had success growing out the kitchen area of their hair? What did you do?

Edited by canopy44
canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 6:26pm
guys, thanks for the info on the difference between a dominican rinse and conditioner. i bought a dominican conditioner and that is some nice thick stuff. you get a lot in a tub. as always, you guys know so much info.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 4:43pm

Anytime Canopy- Just glad that we could help out. good luck with your Challenges.

Update:

I got a really good trim at the barber- shop- lost a 1/2 to a whole inch- but my hair looks and feels great- then i went to the beauty shop and got a much darker color- now i'm like a brownie-color on my hair- but it looks good and she also did a braid out for me. My hair is really thick and full. BTW- all of these changes are due to my mom- she said i had too much hair- thus the trim(needed it anyway) and the color- her and middle sis couldn't stand it so to appease them for the holiday i did it- can't undo it but i'll get used to it(it does look good). Also- my stress spot is the same length (in the nape area) is the same length as the other side but not as thick and full-i'm gonna massage it a few times a day and add a growth stimulant in that area twice daily and see how that works out.

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 6:41pm
Update: I did a mini chop of 3 inches. I used some of my mom's leftover dye last night on the tassels of my cornrows. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 9:14am
Congradulations- layla. I am so proud of you.
princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 9:50am

update-my hair is not breaking and is extremely shiny.  Its grown two inches the past week and on Tuesday I plan to apply a leave in reconstructor

4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 10:02am
Thanks, carameldiva! 
Adora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2005 at 11:52am

update:

am currently in the middle of a protective style challenge for the month of December...so far so good, although these twists look like they're on their last legs.  had to french braid them down today to fight the frizzies.

i feel like i've stalled when it comes to growth.    i dont know what the problem is, but it feels like i havent seen anythign noticeable for the past few months....although i've been doing the same thing i always do.  i will admit when i twist though, i usually dust the ends, because trimming them makes my twists neater...but i may have to stop that because i may be cutting off all my growth.  maybe that's why i'm stalled? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 10:37am

Adora- are you taking your vitamins- if not you may want to look into that? Also you may want to try a growth stimulant such as peppermint oil, sage oil, rosemary oil- make sure you only use 15-20 drops diluted in sweet almond oil. Also- how often are you trimming?

Hope this helps a  little. 

Adora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 11:13am

Hey caramel!

yes, i have been taking my multi-vites daily.  but the biotin sporadically....i'll try and make that more regular.

and i trim every time i put in twists...so at least once, sometimes twice a month....which as i'm typing this, i realize may be too much since some folks go months without a trim.... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 7:22pm

Remember to drink lots of water to avoid breakouts when taking the biotin. Also- i think you are cutting you newgrowth off- don't trim unless you need to- maybe every 3 to 4 months. Try a pre-shampoo treatment of castor oil/jamaica black castor oil on dry hair under a thin, plastic cap overnite or for 15-20 mins under a hooded dryer prior to shampooing. Make sure that you deep condition using cholesterol or lamaur's bone marrow for 45-60 mins under a hooded dryer weekly.

Hope this helps.

princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 2:42pm

I trimmed my ends after my press and I'm not planning on trimming until maybe 2 weeks from now and just let my hair see some new growth.  My hair is soft and shiny, and its thickeing up.  My wraps dont work well so Im practicing on thm

4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 8:53pm
Glad everything is working out for you princess.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 10:04pm

Update

All-is-well

followimg-the-regimime

my-products-are-great-amd-so-are-the-itamims

How-is-eberyome-else-doimg?

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 10:48am

HIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

I'm back!!! My computer has been on it's last leg (or so I thought) for over a month and I haven't checked my e-mail or my forums at all! I think I was going crazy, but I finally got it up and working yesterday and here I am! I missed you guys and so did my hair!!! It has been a rough winter start for my locks!

I'm 14 weeks post today and I have probably 2 inches of new growth. I haven't been taking my vitamins regularly like I should and my water intake did go down a bit. I'm drinking more now since it's been alittle warmer than it normally would be this time of year.  I'm not too far from bra strap in the back but I still have a bit to go.

My staples right now are the Nexxus line, Capilo Honey Milk and Cinnamon, CON shampoo, Cantu Shea Butter Cream, and Salerm 21. I'm also using NTM Deep Recovery. My hair suffered some drying with the season changing but it is still growing good. It's a bit hard to manage right now but I'm going to hold off on another relaxer. Last time I stretched 14 weeks. I'm going to try for 16 and possible alittle longer if I can.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 9:31pm

CaramelDiva- it's good to see that your hair is doing well. I've been reading your journal over at the other site. Very interesting and great experiements.

Honeydoo- Welcome back and I hope you are feelig so much better.  Good to see that your hair is still keeping up, it's ok to make sure you are healthy over your hair. We all can relate.

As for me...not much going on here. I just put my hair in a ponytail (bunnytail) and will probably wear it like this for the rest of the week. I'm not exactly sure yet.  I co washed it with White rain Fruit fortifying mixed with African Herbal oil...detangled... put in some Kemi Oyl that I purchased 2 days ago. Put a small dab of gel on the edges and pulled it all back into a ponytail. 

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 1:03am

Cmesweet-thanks for everything-i read your journal faithfully, too.

honeydoo-glad to see you back- i missed you.

divaedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divaedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 1:23pm
I haven't wrote for a long time, I probably should have for the support. I registered with this challenge a while ago and instead of my hair growing it is negative an inch because I keep cutting it listening to people that say I should. I am starting all over from now on even though the challenge is just about done.  My hair is still a good length 8 inches past my shoulders but my goal of 11-12 inches past my shoulder may take what 8 months now if hair grows half an inch a month so I am going to be faithful to this forum for advice and a stop sign when those ideas pop into my head about cutting
when people ask you why too much they usually want to really ask why are you so fly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 32>
  Share Topic