Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 32>
Author
divaedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divaedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 1:28pm
My hair regimen so far (correct me if I am doing anything wrong ) is I take horsetail, onesource skin vitamins(which include biotin and msm) flaxseed only once a day, bee pollen, alfalfa, and kelp.  I wash with creme of nature (once a week) condition with silk elements or biolage once in shower cap at night every 3 days and deep condition once a week under dryer 20 minutes or more with a cholesterol.  I use jojoba oil when hair is straight every night before bed and every morning before brushing, I sleep on satin pillowcase. But I do wear my hair in ponytails when I have to cuz my hair is not always able to go down
when people ask you why too much they usually want to really ask why are you so fly
divaedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divaedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 1:33pm
carmeldiva what is this growth stimulant and how often should I use
when people ask you why too much they usually want to really ask why are you so fly
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 1:41pm
I missed you guys too!  Sounds like everyone is doing good!! It was March the first challengers began it seems like yesterday! I do need to keep up with my CW's. I haven't been doing them as often as I should. Maybe I'll do one tonight! Anyway, I just started back classes today, but if I have time tonight I'll update our list of Challengers.
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 8:43pm

Originally posted by divaedout divaedout wrote:

carmeldiva what is this growth stimulant and how often should I use

To stimulate growth i use rosemary oil (15-20 drops) diluted in sweet almond oil.

For thickness- i use castor oil as a pre-shampoo treatment w/ a thin plastic cap overnite or prior to shampooing on dry hair for 15-20 mins. under a hooded dryer(also with a thin plastic cap).

For moisture i use the following mixture- water/liquid aloe vera/glycerin/eo(rosemary or castor oil mostly). Spritz daily as needed.

Just purchased Surge Hair Revitalizer Plus 14- i going to use this also as a moisturizer/detangler.

P.S. I also add liquid aloe vera and glycerin to my conditioners that i use for co-washes.

Hope this answers your questions.

Edited by carameldiva
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 8:55pm
carmeldiva, im def gonna check into that rosemary oil.  Lately its been like my growth had just halted.  Its not breaking or anything...its just not doing anything.  Thats really a discouragement
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 12:05pm
Princess- let me know how it works out and don't forget to dilute it in the sweet almond oil.
princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 12:41pm
i sure will carmeldiva.i plan to do a wash tommorrow
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 2:46pm
Gurl- let me know how it turns out.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 11:42am
Still trying to keep on keeping on.   I purchased a phoney pony---actually its an draw string afro puff but it has blonde/light brown highlights. I am going to try to do the baggie method with it on (always wanted to do that).  I'll probably wear this for about a week, so I won't have to twist up or braid up anything.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 12:27am
i do have an issue- i have a scalp burn  issue on the left nape area- applying vitamin e from my vitamins on it 2x a day and it is healing up- i am also using surge on it- so it'll be o.k.- other than that- hair and ends are thriving- i can see growth so i must be doing something right.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:28pm
I just measured my hair for the last time before I get the BC. My mom is supposed to call and make an appointment tomorrow. The first 2 times she measured it came out 20-1/2". I asked her to pull on my hair to stretch out the new growth and it came out 21". I said pull on the longer bits instead of the short ones and it came out 22". I think I'll go with 20-1/2" though because when I last measured on Dec. 13th it was 18-1/2. I don't think I could've grown more than 2 inches in a month and a half.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 9:47pm
Hi Layla, nothing is impossible! You seem like you take really good care of your hair by the way so it may have grown that much. How much are you chopping off?
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 10:50am
I'm chopping all of my relaxed hair off. I'll only be left with like 4 inches or something. Well my hair was growing really slow before so maybe it just had a growth spurt.
Yolligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yolligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 1:32pm

Hi everybody.

I'm glad everyone is doing well. Well I did the BC on December 20th and I had probably 3 to 31/4 inches of natural hair.  I did co-washes 2 to 3 times a week for the first couple of weeks but lately I have been wearing flat twist in the front and small twist in the back for about a week. I'm still trying to find the right moisturizer. So far I have tried shea butter, sta softfro and some different spritzes my hair doesn't seem dry at all but I'm a bit of a pj.  I have noticed about 1/2 of growth since I chopped.  I'm just trying to continue having the healthest hair I can have. 

Layla congrats on your upcoming BC.

Everybody take care.

Edited by Yolligirl
Life is a journey, Enjoy the ride.

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 9:51am
Congrats on your BC, Yolli. Your hair sounds beautiful and healthy. How long did you transition for?
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:38am

Adora~Canopy44~Carmeldiva~Cebnn~Cmesweet~Cool_Diva~Dach~

Diamondprincess~Divaedout~Earthangel~GrowHairGrow~Hairdiva~H airGoddess~

Hairspray~Honeydoo~IndigoRed~Jewel~Jesuschrist#1inmylife~Kal ly

~Karonica~Kbaby~~KimJ~Layla~Locsoflife~Maybeline46~Missaol~

Missfro~Monet001~Mrs.Robertson~Neeka~Nixxnixx~Nubianqt 86~Oskana ~

Pocahontas1~Pricesscato1~Princess07~Princess8907~QueenLinda8 3~Qwickstudy

~Rapunzelcurl~Renee~Retagirl~Savantrice~Shell~SilverRain80~

SimplyAlex~Smahone2~Tp1~VickyD~Yolligirl

That's everyone! How is everyone doing this month!March 1st will be the end of the first Grow-Out challenge started! I'll continue to update it every month for those who continued to join. I think this has been a great challenge and everyone has grown and learned so much. I know I have.

Here is my update:

I made it to 16 weeks before I relaxed! Yaaaa! My hair is now an inch above brastrap! It's doing very well! I make sure to moisturize every night with either Cantu Shea Butter or Salerm 21 followed by coconut oil. I wash once a week in the winter with Nexxus humectress, CON or Garlic Shampoo (it depends). Then I condition with Australian Organics under a plastic cap and 20 minutes of heat. My hair usually feels silky after this. I alternate with NTM Deep Recovery Mask or one of my Dominican conditioners. So far so good.

KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:45am

Hi Ladies - Just a quick update

I RELAXED MY HAIR!  I had gotten to the point where I just couldn't stand dealing with flat ironing, hot combing, etc.  Although I wasn't doing it often at all, my hair had begun to break a bit & I didn't want to lose what I've been working so hard for.  I would only flat iron for church if needed, but mostly I was putting it in a bun or something.  I would allow my hair to air dry while tied down, but for some reason, it was still breaking a little, so I dunno.

I used a Sof 'n' Free (kids relaxer that worked really well).  It's going well has gotten longer than it was when I got it cut it in November (it's nearly shoulder lenght now), so I'm happy.  I'm still doing the same things - olive in my pre-poo conditioner (overnight) & in my deep conditioner - I basically use whatever conditioner I have lying around for the pre-poo & deep conditioner.  I rinse with ACV mix monthly, wash & cond weekly or twice a week with the aveda stuff.  If I hot curl or flat iron, which is very rare, I use the Loreal Kiwi stuff.  I spray nightly with Sof 'n' Free Olive Oil spray & use Cantu Shea Butter maybe 3xs a week & when I shampoo.  That's basically it.  I don't plan to relax again until the summer.  Now that I've begun to learn what's working for me & how to take care of my hair, I don't think it will be a problem to wait until then!

That's about it!  I'm happy with the results, although I felt like I destroyed what I had worked for when I relaxed it.  I thought about it & I guess I really didn't.  As long as I take care of my hair with what I'm learning from you guys, I should be ok - ya'll have been a blessing.  I would not have made it 6 mos w/out a relaxer without your help!  I will make my healthy goal of March '06 b/c of ya'll!

HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 12:16pm
Well I joined the 2005 challenge when it was almost done but I have had some great improvements in the overall health of my hair. I just noticed an increase in length so now I am about 1-2 inches from being armpit length! So I am starting 2006 with a fresh new regime and taking my vitamins...I want to get length but I also want a nice thick ponytail too lol Will post again in 2007!!!
Yolligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yolligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 1:22pm

Hey Layla,

I transitioned for 8 months. It was a lot easier than I thought not that there were not some rough spots.  I am glad I did it though, I couldn't remember what my natural hair was like it was so long ago.

Life is a journey, Enjoy the ride.

KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 2:18pm
Will there be a challenge for 2006?  If so, count me in or will we just continue on the 2005 path.  Either way, I'm up for it!
HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 32>
  Share Topic