Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>
Author
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 10:03am

Kbaby- hmmm.... itchy scalp. have you tried using tea tree oil on it. This may solve the problem.

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 2:56pm
No, I hadn't tried that, but I do have some.  I will try it!  Thanks :)
HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 1:51pm
I just tried adding a few drops of tea tree oil to my clarifying shampoo. I'm not sure, but I believe it made a difference. The true test will be on Monday when I take out my twists. Usually by then my scalp is really itching.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
longido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 1:00pm

Hello ladies iam new in this forum , it took me sometime to get my way around it. It is vast and a lot of abbreviations that when you are new can really get lost especially if you are like me who had given up on hair products! I have studied this challenge right from the begining and iam impressed by you ladies. It has inspired me not to give up on my hair. Can i know what you use to moisturize?

Secondly i learnt of profectiv products and i was made to believe they are really for African American hair, but i do not hear anyone talk about them. Is there anyone with an experience of them?

Thank you.

lmk
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 6:01pm
I use shea butter to moisturize.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 12:12am

update- nothing much going on here...just growing as always.

Found a few splits in the front...don't know how since I trimed the splits I saw in the front.lil Y's

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by carameldiva carameldiva wrote:

Kbaby- hmmm.... itchy scalp. have you tried using tea tree oil on it. This may solve the problem.

Also, Peppermint oil works for me when I have itchy scalp..however you may want to follow up with lots of moisture b/c it can also be drying as well.

HTH

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 5:34pm

Nothing new here either. I had a bad shedding spell early March, but I think I've got it under control. I'm going to up my washes back to twice a week soon since it's getting a bit warmer.  I trimmed a bit about a month ago, but I'm getting good growth.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 5:59pm
I got a trim like two or three weeks ago. Cute style- he did cut one side shorter than the other. I did purchase a scalp massager and that seems to be helping. Not shedding much as of late, since the trim and i got my lush hair bar and lush conditioner bar. Can't wait to try them. New things that my hair is loving adding honey to everything. Also, trader joe's pure castile soap (peppermint)- it's da bomb diggity.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 8:34pm
Today I washed and Trimmed my ends...saw some splits so I just trimed the ends.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 11:22am

How often do you trim your ends? When you see split ends? I trimmed mine about 3 weeks ago. I think I'm about 8 or 9 weeks post right now. So far I'm ok. I used Nexxus Emergencee last week end and my hair feels alot stronger. I think I need to stock back up on my Mane N' Tail though and Carrot Creme. That kept breakage at a minimum.

Also, What is a lush hair bar and how does it work?

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 1:15pm

Hi Honeydoo,

I don't trim my ends often, but I have seen a few splits and so I did the search and destroy method. However, I felt that wasn't working because of the curliness of my hair I was probably missing some and I was cause I would cut a strand and then realize it was the wrong strand . So I just decided to trim it all.   But the last time I did a full trim like that was around New Years.

Sounds like your stretch is going pretty well. How long do you plan to stretch?

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 12:14pm

Hey guys, long time no talk!!

Just an update

-I did the BC on Feb 14  so it's been a little over 2 months. Right now, my hair is about 2.5/3 inches in length

My current routine is:

-vitamins daily

-Daily temple and nape massages with WGO

-CW about 5x a week

-Perform a c-poo-c-c/ "cow" wash once a week. I'm not sure if that's the correct term for this technique but I cowash, use some 'poo, deep condition, then cowash at the end.

-use honey/oil mixture as a prepoo once a week

-add a leave in twice a day

-use water as my styling tool every day! i shower at nights so in the morning, i just turn on the faucet, run my head under there, shake, apply leave in and keep on stepping!!

Products used:

[CW] Suave Humectress, VO5 Blueberries and Cream (sadly, i think it's now discontinued...i'm gonna be sad when this bottle runs out), NTM daily conditioner, J/a/s/o/n lavender and sea kelp conditioners. [DC] J/a/s/o/n conditioners, NTM mask, Garnier mask(really on the fence with this one)

[Shampoo] Dove Intensive Moisture, VO5 kiwi and lime clarifying

[Leave in] Salerm 21, lacio lacio (on the fence), s-curl (on the fence) IC gel with sparkelites (on the fence) shea butter for ends, WGO for temples/nape

My Results:

I have found that my nape has really taken off with this, which makes me very pleased! it's still very damaged but there is some noted growth in this area. i also love the moring styling with water. this has probably been the most effective in keeping my hair on point. I did this at 8:30 this morning and my hair isn't dry let (1:00pm) which is major for me. the honey/evoo is also a keeper for me. my ends love this.

Future plans:

I'm going to push for an inch a month from May-September.I'm also gonna try to take care of ends and keep them moisturized hardcore. the search for the perfect leave in continues (i'm gonna try ntm next, after i finish up some products). I also want to learn how to do braidouts. I want to be past shoulderlength by this time next year!!

Hope you all are doing well!!

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 8:04am
Hey, Canopy, I hope you don't mind me using your message as a template.

-I did the BC on Feb 8  so it's been 2 months 2 weeks. Right now, my hair is about 4.5/5 inches in length

My current routine is:

-Eat a salad everyday
-Rinse 1x a week

-CW about 1x a week

-Perform a OCWCC wash once a week. I'm not sure if that's the correct term for this technique but I put some oil on my dry hair, then add conditioner right before I get in the shower, wet my hair, use some 'poo, condition, rinse, then use conditioner as a leave in.

-add a leave in once a day
-Deep conditioner weekly or biweekly depending on how my hair feels

Products used:

VO5 kiwi lime conditioner, ARTec textureline smoothing shampoo, Regis Olive Oil conditioner, Jessicurl Aloeba conditioner. [DC] Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment

[Leave in] Oyin Whipped Pudding, Infusium, aloe, IC gel with sparkelites, shea butter, Paul Mitchell the conditioner

My Results:

My hair seems to be growing. I've been wearing it a lot in bigger braids that don't look too stylish but keep my hair from drying out and don't take that long to put in.

Future plans:

I'm going to push for 3/4 inch a month from May-September. My hair seems to grow slower since I'm natural or maybe it's just that the length doesn't show up as much. I'm planning on going to get my first real trim since the BC this week. I want to be at shoulderlength by this time next year!!

I just checked my sig goals and realized I met all of them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 2:47pm

Well- my hair is doing quite well. I have been cowashing 5 times a week and using a leavin. I pre-poo(castor oil/honey), shampoo and condition on one day and on the other poo day i pre-poo(castor oil/honey), shampoo, condition/deep condition.

Currently loving: Castile soap to shampoo with (trader joe's) or Dr. Bronner's bar or liquid castile soap from www.thechemistrystore.com . I also obtained some hemp shampoo and conditioner, neem shampoo and rich creamy conditioner base (which are all great) frow www.wellnaturally.com

Conditioners: love Alberto Vo5- just started using this, also trader joe's essential, trader joe's refresh and my old standby saloncare conditioners

Surge 14 plus hair revitalizer is nothing but the truth. I have seen growth all over from using this consistently.

I am also taking my vitamins daily and drinking water.

I also still oil my scalp/ends nitely and apply a thin plastic cap.

Edited by carameldiva
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 10:21pm
For those of you who did the BC in the past how long did it take you to reach, say, shoulder length?
I'm in!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 12:45pm
Well i don't do protective styles- i am so bad- i know i need a spanking so after almost 3 years- i'm grazing collarbone but shoulderlength is within my reach. But then again i do trim my hair more than most of the ladies here so that could be it too. I usually trim 3 to 4 times a year to get rid of splits and faerie knots. My hair is really thick and doing quite well though- i don't press- just wear a shrunken fro daily.
SwEEt_t_piE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwEEt_t_piE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 4:15pm

im pretty new to this forum and i am currently paying a lot more attention to my hair than ever!Nothing wrong wit dat i suppose? 1.I moisturise daily(3X...Hey it getting warm,the hair deserves it), 2.wash with mnt moisturising shampoo once a week; anymore and my hair breaks and splits all ova. 3.condition with motions CPR.4.Protein pack once a month.5.keep it wrapped in satin as much as possible!

Deep conditioning as i type.LOL

"WHEN WE WALK DOWN THE STREET DUDES CALL US THE COVERGIRLS...WE STAND OUT WHEN WE NEXT TO THEM OTHER GIRLS!!!" -LIL KIM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 10:48am

I am so sorry for the late reply just noticed the question. A lush hard water shampoo bar ( is basically shampoo in the form of a soap bar- this one does contain sls but it was quite gentle on my natural hair and my hair looked and felt great afterwards) YOu can find them at Lush stores or www.lush.com

Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

How often do you trim your ends? When you see split ends? I trimmed mine about 3 weeks ago. I think I'm about 8 or 9 weeks post right now. So far I'm ok. I used Nexxus Emergencee last week end and my hair feels alot stronger. I think I need to stock back up on my Mane N' Tail though and Carrot Creme. That kept breakage at a minimum.

Also, What is a lush hair bar and how does it work?

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 3:18pm

Welcome Sweet I pie

As for me, this weekend I have just been wearing a shrunken fro ( otherwise known a the wash-n-go)

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132>
  Share Topic