Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 32>
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 6:47pm

Update- Yesterday, I put my hair in boxbraids. I plan on keeping it like this for 2 weeks. Maybe I will just retouch the ones at the top over the weekend. 

Also I want to get some Motions CPR conditioner that I used to use. Actually, the smell is what I miss and I think I should use it since I had been wearing my hair out and doing wash and goes during the summer, just to add a little strength to my hair.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Monet001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monet001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 12:25pm

I'm new to this forum and I wanna be down with the Challenge. I have been growing my hair out also no more perms for me last perm 04'. I daily moisture,wkly cond,bi-wkly wash process, I used aphogee and my breakage has stopped so not sure if I need it again BUT I use WGO,Motions,DooGro Line,Tracey's Velvet,Elasta.Braids/Weaves/Wigs/Silk/Straightening comb(sometimes).My hair type 4B,not sure about length but I wouldn't wear it in a ponytail and go outside. . Interested in trying the surge(spray) and taking vitamins also. Open for suggestions....Anybody??

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 10:43pm
update- i am using a new oil mixture- rosemary oil, sweet almond oil and wheatgerm oil- me and my hair are loving it. Also, i am using the Jamaica Black Castor oil- i like this product a lot too.  The glycerin/water mix is working great as well. I 'll update again at the end of the month.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 11:28pm
update - my hair no longer likes oils. ive discovered aveda products and an alcohol free mousse. i'd always used mousse until i stopped like 1 year ago. finally found an alochol free one and i love it. ive stopped taking my vitamins :( my hair is faring well without them though. but my skin is another thing. i may start soon again. ive changed my hair album site to New album
and i now have a journal to keep track of what i do and experimenting with styles and products hair journal. My hair is doing good and im so happy. i still have some straiht strands. like, growing straight from my scalp. whats the deal with that?? someone said its scab hair but im a little worried. these are my new HG (holy grail) products:
jessicurl awe inspiraling spray (daily moisturiser)-can be found here
aveda elixir
aveda be curly
aveda humectant pomade
suave awapuhi (best leave in i ever used!!
herbal essences humidity defying gel for my bantu knot outs. i mix it half and half with FOTE aloe vera gel
paul mitchell the detangler
aura lemongrass alcohol free mousse.

ya know i had to put my product reviews in here

for now, im happy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 8:18am
i'm glad to hear that you found what you hair likes, Renee- you and your hair look stunning as usual.
KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 10:16pm

Hi Ladies!  I'm really curious if anyone knows anything about tree braiding.  I'd like to try it and would really like to do it myself or ask my friend to do it.  I called a salon in my area and they charge almost $400 to do it - OUCH!!!!!

I've gotten past wanting to relax my hair b/c pressing once a week is working fine-still very little breakage.  But I really want to stay away from heat completely, plus I'd like to give my hair a break from the everyday styling.  I think braids of some sort would be good.

All I can find online is videos for sale, but no forums or posts with instructions.  SO-O-O-O, if anyone knows how to do it or knows where I can get instructions, please help a sista out!

HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 11:20pm

Monet001, welcome to the forum! I hope you find alot of helpful information here. I have a bottle of surge but I never used it.  A good multivitamin, a healthy diet, and lots of water are essential. What is your daily regimen?

Renee, how are you liking the Aveda products? I'm very interested in them. (anything organic is welcomed here!!) As far as your skin goes, have you tried Burt Bees?? If not, try the Day Carrot Creme for a moisturizer. If that's too heavy I use the milk and honey lotion on my face. The whole line is really good. Everything is about 99% organic. There is a sample pack the has the carrot creme, Peppermint Shampoo Bar, Carrot Complexion Soap, Comfrey Hand Salve, Poppyseed Exfoliating wash, etc. I haven't seen a product I haven't liked and everytime I use BB my complexion is smooth and my skin is glowing.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
locsoflife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locsoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 3:30pm

Hello all! I've been reading your post for about a week now, I've learned so much! I've been natural for about 6 yrs. I've been locked for 17 mos. My locks are just past my sholders, and I want to join you all on this grow out! I ordered my MTG, and I take Phyto hair, skin and nails dietary supplement.

I co-wash 2 times a week, shampoo w/ J.R. Liggett's shampoo bar (this suff is sooooo good) deep cond. w/ Aveda deep penetrating hair revitalizer, daily leave in Phyto 9 for ultra dry hair, and moisterize 2 times a day w/a mixture of water, aloe juice, Paul mitchell awapuhi moisture mist, in a spray bottel.

I do have a question too. Can I mix the MTG w/some oil to make it smell better? Does the smell stay in your hair?

Thank you all for the help and inspiration! Love and Peace!

Locsoflife.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 11:08pm

Locsoflife- welcome aboard- i use the mtg at nite and do a cowash in the a.m. i don't mix it with anything- just apply it massage it in and then apply a thin plastic cap over my head and go to sleep- i'm natural but not loc'ed

Monet001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monet001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 10:38am

Honeydoo

My regimen is simple because I've been wearing wigs lately. Everynight I grease my scalp with WGO/DooGro,drops of root stimulator along with.I use DooGro moisturizer (purple) and/or S-Curl to saturate my hair. I bag it up for 15min and sit under hood dryer and then I silk scarf to bed. Wake up Braid it Up Put on the Wig.

Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Monet001 Monet001 wrote:

Honeydoo

My regimen is simple because I've been wearing wigs lately. Everynight I grease my scalp with WGO/DooGro,drops of root stimulator along with.I use DooGro moisturizer (purple) and/or S-Curl to saturate my hair. I bag it up for 15min and sit under hood dryer and then I silk scarf to bed. Wake up Braid it Up Put on the Wig.

Could someone please tell me what sleeping in a plastic cap does?

Thanks.

Monet001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monet001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 1:06pm

TO ME ITS BASICALLY A DEEP DEEP CONDITIONING TREATMENT THAT GIVES THE HAIR EXTRA MOISTURE THROUGH THE NIGHT THAT'S ALL I CAN THINK OF HELL THAT'S WHY I DO IT I NEED MOISTURE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 1:52pm

TO ME ITS BASICALLY A DEEP DEEP CONDITIONING TREATMENT THAT GIVES THE HAIR EXTRA MOISTURE THROUGH THE NIGHT THAT'S ALL I CAN THINK OF HELL THAT'S WHY I DO IT I NEED MOISTURE

Thanks.  I kinda figured something like that.  I wanted to know for sure though.  I probably should do what you do because I have dryness quite often. 

I'm going to go to the beauty supply this week again..."I'm addicted", to look for a good moisturizing and humectant.  I'm not sure what's tops though.

Monet001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monet001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 2:15pm

Dry Hair sucks and its not like I don't moisturize it just soaks it up like a sponge.  I want that just-out-of-the-salon moisture look. Any Suggestions??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 2:53pm

Dry Hair sucks and its not like I don't moisturize it just soaks it up like a sponge.  I want that just-out-of-the-salon moisture look. Any Suggestions??

I don't know for sure.  I do know that they (the salons) keep top secret what they use.  Hiding things in closets, mixing stuff..etc. You would think that it's a government thing... They may use humectants or phytos, but I'm not sure about them....just researching myself.

Edited by Hair Goddess
Monet001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monet001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 3:02pm

I'm tellin you HG

Ain't it a damn shame  What is the secret  I don't know about you but when I go in the shops I record using my cellphone the names of the products(hell I want what they got) and then when its my turn they use some stuf that I wasn't able to see or record AND then they put just a little damn dab of it on your hands and what really sets me off is that it smells good as hell.

I had to get that out...sorry

If you are a Professional Stylist on this board.....What are the "Good" products...you know the on-the-low products

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 12:59pm

Just wanted to say....WELCOME!!! to everyone that recently joined the challenge.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 2:34pm

I'm tellin you HG

Ain't it a damn shame  What is the secret  I don't know about you but when I go in the shops I record using my cellphone the names of the products(hell I want what they got) and then when its my turn they use some stuf that I wasn't able to see or record AND then they put just a little damn dab of it on your hands and what really sets me off is that it smells good as hell.

I had to get that out...sorry

If you are a Professional Stylist on this board.....What are the "Good" products...you know the on-the-low products

LOL.  I think that stylists feel intimidated.  They do not want us to be educated, and are afraid they will lose business if we learn what works.  "Whites" don't seem to have that problem...huh. 

Suggestion:  Try a good beauty supply "consultant".  Sometimes they are very helpful and know what to give you for that look or treatment.  If you can click with a few, not only might you save a few $$, but also pass on your success to others.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 8:31am
I guess that is time for us to update again- so here goes- my hair has done quote well this month- i got it colored but i can see new growth already- not enough to have my color retouched- but enough to know that i am doing the right things. My oils are working great for me as well as the glycerin/water mix and my shampoos and conditioners. I think i am totally on the right track now and i can tell the difference- i am gonna keep this up and i should be where i wanna be in no time flat. I was considering ordering a coupla wigs for the winter and i may still do that.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 2:55pm
update-
My ends are looking great and moisturized because I've been doing the baggie method with my favorite cream ever. I got the recipe from the Long Hair Community. It's called Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream and I love love love it. It works great on my new growth as well. Since I'm transitioning I'm looking out for each and every little curl that's growing in. I am doing protective styles. Mostly different buns that I see at the Long Hair Community. I did the Gibson Tuck yesterday and when I took my hair down it looked great and wavyish.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 32>
  Share Topic