Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grow-Out Challenge 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>
Author
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 7:49pm
Adora~Canopy44~Carmeldiva~Cebnn~Cmesweet~Cool_Diva~Dach~

Diamondprincess~Divaedout~GrowHairGrow~Hairdiva~HairGoddess~

Hairspray~Honeydoo~IndigoRed~Jewel~Jesuschrist#1inmylife~Kal ly

~Karonica~Kbaby~~KimJ~Layla~Locsoflife~Maybeline46~Missaol~

Missfro~Monet001~Mrs.Robertson~Neeka~Nubianqt86~Oskana ~

Pocahontas1~Pricesscato1~Princess07~QueenLinda83~Qwickstudy

~Rapunzelcurl~Renee~Retagirl~Savantrice~Shell~SilverRain80~

SimplyAlex~Smahone2~Tp1~VickyD~Yolligirl

Here's the updated members: 41 strong!! I hope everyone is doing well on their challenge. The summer is over and hopefully everyone has gained inches or health!!. Here is my update:

I'm 12.5 weeks post!! (Yaa!!!) My newgrowth is thick and extremely curly. Normally I would be relaxed right now but I'm having inner conflict about whether I should be natural or not. (I'm a scaredy cat!!) But stretched My hair in the back is and 1.5 inches past my collar bone. My hair in the front is collar bone length. I'm working on thickness right now.

I just ordered a few products from Sickbay and should be getting them in the next week or 2. I still wash once a week and condition twice a week. I've been using ORS Shea Butter Moisturizer, DG Growth Oil, and Kemi Oil. I've been wearing my hair in a "Sistaslick Bun" (I just perfected it!!) to school and up in a clamp to work. My new regimen will consist of applying a leave-in followed by a moisturizer and Kemi Oil and worn in a bun most days. At night, I will take it down, moisturize and do the baggie method at night.  I haven't taken my MSM in a few weeks but I'm going to add it back in along with a multivitamin.  That's it for me this fall.

I was thinking about going in for a trim, but if anyone has any good at home trimming tips, I'll do it myself.  How did everyone else do??

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Monet001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monet001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 9:21am

Honey

I am still on the challenge trying to be patient an dstaying away from perms. Just a question though.. Is there a natural perms (Parnevu)?

Is there anyone who continues to perm as a part of their "growth" challenge??

Yolligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yolligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 12:34pm

Hello everybody,

I'm still transitioning to natural.  I co-wash twice and week and moisturize with shea butter. I deep condition once a week with ORS hair mayonnaise and shampoo every two weeks with CON. I have noticed alot of growth, but I have shrinkage so I haven't actually measured and I cut about 2 inches of the permed ends off last month. I had a lot of breaking before I cut the ends and that has seemed to go away. 

For the past month I cornrow my front and either do a braid-out, plait-out or a phony ponytail for the back. I have only been taking a multi-vitamin and hair & nail vitamin. I have become sort of lazy about taking Biotin and MSM. 

I have 2 months and 2 weeks until I do my BIG CHOP  That's all I have for now.

Honeydoo congrats for making it 12.5 weeks, don't be scared.

Edited by Yolligirl
Life is a journey, Enjoy the ride.

Monet001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monet001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 1:10pm
Honey, what is DG Growth Oil is that like Wild Growth Oil/WGO?? Oh wait a minute  is that DooGro??
NoNapNique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNapNique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 2:34pm

Monet001,

I will continue to perm...  Only because I cannot get a paddle brush through it to blow it straight - with too much new growth on my head... I would rip out all the hair on my head with all those tangles and naps!  And we won't even TALK about trying to air dry 4b (and worse) hair 12 weeks post relaxer 

Edited by NoNapNique
Monet001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monet001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 2:54pm
 sounds like me after my micros I had to take section by section to comb this 4B and then do it all over again for treatment and trim. It sucked  But what kind of relaxer do you use??
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 11:24am
4b and worse? 4b hair isn't bad.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Monet001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monet001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 12:47pm
Girl mines is what's your regimen???
tiffiney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffiney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 1:53pm

Layla, I agree with you. Ur transitioning?? Is anyone in here a natural press...I've been for about 7 years....Have experienced great highs and long lengths...in the last year though I experienced trauma and stress that currently have my tresses near shoulder length...[not too happy about that]...but anyway i just wanted to know if anyone presses or flat irons their natural hair...we can discuss my thermal styling regime if u like [moisture and heat protection are important of course]

Ivy Epitome
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 3:40pm
Tiffiney, I'm sorry I can't help you because I am natural and I don't press. When I was younger my hair was pressed every sunday but it was never stick straight, just real puffy.  I would just make sure to put heat protection on your hair.

Also, I am natural with 4b hair and loving it and there is nothing hard about it...EVEN WHEN I WAS RELAXED I permed my hair every 4 to 6 months and my hair grew just the same.

So what is the problem with your 4b hair that makes it worse than anyone elses hair? Just asking a question, someone please inform me...thanks
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 4:12pm

I'm still on the challenge.  Trying not to get discouraged because of the shrinkage factor with my braid-outs.

Anyway, just to share, I had a dream last night...more like a nightmare.  I went to the hair stylist and told her that I want to have a deep conditioning treatment.  She put a relaxer on my hair.  When I asked her about what she had put on my hair, it was to my disbelief.  I was so angry, while she made it out to be no big deal.  I told her that I just grew several inches to my hair and that now it will take a few years before it completely grows out.

Thank God it was just a dream though.

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 6:40pm

Monet001, it is DooGro.  I have been relaxed since I was about 11. At that time my hair was so thick and 'unruly' my mom decided to relax it. Since she always did my hair, it was her decision. Although there were periods when I would go a year without relaxing. I guess what you are more comfortable with. Some prefer relaxed and others prefer natural. I am one of those who would prefer to be natural but am not fully comfortable with making that transition yet. ( I think I need 'Natural Hair Therapy' to coax me along!)

Whether relaxed or natural, you have to make sure you are doing it for your own good reasons and not someone elses. Type 4 hair can be a challenge, but it's beautiful!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
tiffiney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffiney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 9:52pm

has anyone used redken products...im thinking of trying them but they are a tad expensv.....im really interested in their extreme repair line [with ceramide tech..jst like breakthru] and also their so soft and smooth line....their website looks promising...i was planning on picking some up by thurs...

also someone asked about avedas products [their tea is great]...i have used the scalp health line [cant remember the exact names] the conditioner left my 4a natural hair feeling baby soft [im so serious] i also used the leav in cond [called elixer i think] a little goes a LONG way..and ive got lots of thick pretty hair [quarter zise for your entire head]...finally the styling creme for thick, coarse hair is very moisturizing  [forgot that name too but its white with blue writing]

Ivy Epitome
canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 6:38pm

my update:

this is my current system: shampoo/ condition 1-2x a week. airdry and then flatiron.  Moisturize 5x a week with mtg/wgo mixture. Apply Salerm 21 daily, shea butter on ends 2x a day.

i'm worried that's a lot for my hair so i may bump up the washing to 2x a week always...i just don't have the patience to wait for it to dry. i feel like my hair is in better condition than it was in when i took over 6 weeks ago and it certainly looks longer. my edges are filling in, especially in the back.  but i would like to learn how to wear my natural curly hair without heat. if only i could get some serious curl definition. i need to find a really good product or technique for that and buy some lacio lacio (i'm loving the dominican products the most!)

so some goals of mine: (a) set up my fotki so i can keep track of my progres (b)learn how to style without heat (c) try to get 2.5 inches of growth by january. do you think this is possible?

tiffiney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffiney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 10:23pm

canopy, u can def have 2.5 or more inches by jan [why? b/c our hair grows at wonderfull rates just like everyone elses - - the key is to stop the breaking and it sounds like the care you give to your ends is nice....moisture to prevent breakage]

im curious to know the exact shampoo and conditioner you're using....

yes, heat is not desirable but i'm a natural press [ i actually flat iron (ceramic) now but my mom and sisters still use the old comb]

anyway back to the heat...the key is a [a MOISTURIZING shampoo and conditioner] and good thermal protectant ...consider: Matrix sleek.look Iron Smoother, $13.95
Before flat-ironing, spritz this lightweight, floral-scented spray on dry hair; Redken Satinwear 02 Ultimate Blow-Dry Lotion, $14.95
Smooth it on damp hair before blow-drying; TRESemmé Instant Heat Tamer Styling Spray, $3.99
Spray on damp hair before blow-drying or on dry hair before using a curling or straightening iron.

Finally for us {women of color} additional daily moisure - - sounds like you have that covered with the shea butter on your ends

Ivy Epitome
Arizonabeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arizonabeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 1:06pm

I know im super late...im a newbie. I posted a topic asking for advice because this topic was just too overwhelming to read. Anyway, I currently have my hair permed and want to transition to natural hair. I figured I could just press it every few weeks and it would be more benefical then perming. My hair is thick so I was forced to perm my hair every 6-8 weeks.

If anyone can tell me. What should be my first step. I'm thinking of getting microbraids for the next couple of months to start out.

In the meantime..what are some things I should/could be doing to get this process going. I have very dry scalf with dandruff problems also.

I currently wash my hair once every week or so. I use Aphogee protein treatment every month, I wash with Fantasia IC Tea Shampoo and Condition with Fantasia's leave in conditioner. Any other tips?

Yolligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yolligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 3:48pm

Hello Arizona, one of the first things you should do is not to use Aphogee every month, it is only to be used every 6-8 weeks.  If you use it too much you could be getting too much protein. If you are wanting to transition to natural, braids would be better than pressing the hair. Heat can cause damage to you natural hair. If you get microbraids just make sure they are not too tight(especially in the front) and be sure to keep your hair moisturized. You may want to consider no-pooing (washing hair with conditioner only). I'm not sure about the dry scalp except for maybe using jojoba or tea tree oil. I hope this helps.

Life is a journey, Enjoy the ride.

Arizonabeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arizonabeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 5:22pm

Thank You,

Now I've been reading the forum and I think I may be confused as to what natural really is...I don't want locs or an afro. I just want to discontinue using the perm and start getting it pressed every month or so and in the meantime wear my hair wrapped up.

I'm getting the braids next month. I will to to keep them in for at lease 3 months and then try another style. I figured I could do this for about a yr and then cut the perm out. I would do it before but I might panic and not want my hair cut out

Thanks for the advice though.

also....i've been reading about these different oils. Are they to be used before or after you wash your hair? Whats the proper method when using them?

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 7:01pm
I would advise against getting micros- it would be a good idea to get the braids the size of your finger- helps reduce damage this way.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 12:32pm

tiffeny --

thank you for the great product reviews and advice. right now, i use suave humectant and vo5 milk moisture - strawberries and cream. i shampoo with some vo5.i alternate usage between the two.  i use shampoo very sparingly, it makes my hair so hard if i use a lot so i don't really pay much attention to the type i use, i just need something that cleans the scalp.  

ita about the flat iron over the old school hot comb. when i first saw somebody of color use a ceramic straightener, i was so confused. i thought black people had different hair and couldn't use a product geared towards caucasian people.  just another myth i bought into, i was SO WRONG!that redkin blowdry lotion sounds so good and healthy! where can you buy it? right now, im using some beyond the zone heat serum, which is fine but i could always use more moisture and heat protection!

thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>
  Share Topic