Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeird........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird........
    Posted: April 19 2003 at 4:40pm
I wonder if anyone can throw some light on this.

In May 2002 I started taking hair vitamins (HF37).
I took these vits till the end of 2002, and during the time I was taking them my hair grew at a rate of 1cm per month.

Now, I hadn't been measuring my growth rate prior to taking the vitamins, and because I was growing my hair out from short to long, length just seemed to "appear".

Anyway, basically, I stopped taking HF-37 at the end of the year.

Now, bearing in mind that neither my diet nor the amount of physical activity I take has changed, it is really weird that my hair growth rate has increased to 1.5 cm per month!! Weird.

I am measuring in exactly the same way.
Could it be the time of year?
Does hair grow faster in the end-Winter/start-Spring season?

Could stopping the use of sulfates on my hair have made a difference to the growth rate? It seems very unlikely.

Can anyone help with an explanation or feasible suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Uzma
Uzi

princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 10:20pm
i'm not sure if this infomation is correct uzma but i heard somewhere that seasons don't effect the growth of the hair. my hair seem to grown a lot since dec.[ i've been taking a lot more vitamins.]
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2003 at 3:19pm
Hi Princess Monica,

On another topic...I meant to congratulate you on your upcoming wedding on a previous post on a different thread but somehow neglected to do that. So anyway, congrats and my apologies.

As far as this topic...there is a lot of controversy and I still have not decided who to believe although I have noticed that my hair does seem to grow faster during the summer months. Some people believe that since human hair was designed to protect the scalp from the sun, elements and other environmental nasties...that humans grow more hair in the summer months. Is that really true? I don't know.

It certainly is worth more research.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

Hi Princess Monica,

On another topic...I meant to congratulate you on your upcoming wedding on a previous post on a different thread but somehow neglected to do that. So anyway, congrats and my apologies.
------------------------------------------------------------------
thank you karen but i think you have me confused with one of the other ladies on the board. i'm already married BUT this sat. on the 26th wil be our 1 year anniversary!

As far as this topic...there is a lot of controversy and I still have not decided who to believe although I have noticed that my hair does seem to grow faster during the summer months. Some people believe that since human hair was designed to protect the scalp from the sun, elements and other environmental nasties...that humans grow more hair in the summer months. Is that really true? I don't know.
Best wishes,
Karen

i agree karen. i think hair grows faster in summer too. i read or heard that hair grows the same in all seasons. so who really knows. it could also be a person's diet too. the reason i had more hair growth in the winter is like i said i've been taking more vitamins plus i was pregnant [i had a miscarriage though ] i heard when you are pregnant can make your hair grow more. something about the blood stimulating the scalp.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 11:36am

Hi Princess Monica,

thank you karen but i think you have me confused with one of the other ladies on the board. i'm already married BUT this sat. on the 26th wil be our 1 year anniversary

Best wishes,
Karen

i agree karen. i think hair grows faster in summer too. i read or heard that hair grows the same in all seasons. so who really knows. it could also be a person's diet too. the reason i had more hair growth in the winter is like i said i've been taking more vitamins plus i was pregnant [i had a miscarriage though ] i heard when you are pregnant can make your hair grow more. something about the blood stimulating the scalp.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 11:41am

Hi Princess Monica,

thank you karen but i think you have me confused with one of the other ladies on the board. i'm already married BUT this sat. on the 26th wil be our 1 year anniversary

Best wishes,
Karen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 11:45am
sorry it was the same post i just posted i couldn't get the jumpy happy face to jump at first lol
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 12:53pm
Here's some information on summer vs. winter growth:

http://www.sciencenet.org.uk/database/Biology/0206/b01039d.html

I can't verify the accuracy of this site, but it's part of the National Grid for Learning, a UK government site. It attributes increased growth to heightened vitamin D production caused by increased sunlight exposure.

Pantene's site also concurs and adds that hair grows faster while we sleep and between the ages of 16-24:

http://www.pantene.com/en_UK/healthy_hair/science_hair/index.jhtml
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 2:42pm
Thanks everyone and Lyris in particular.

I'll check out the light/temperature/vitamin D connection with the scientists at work.

Will let you know if they tell me something of value.

Cheers

Uzma
Uzi

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 9:11pm
Yes...thank you Lyris. I appreciate the links. The Vitamin D connections makes a lot of sense.

In fact, I was reading that scientists discovered that if you sit out in the sunlight every morning for 15 minutes (Vit D again) it helps your body's metabolism work faster for the rest of the day and you will burn more fat throughout the day.

There is also info that drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day will speed fat burning and again, increased water consumption has also been linked to increased hair growth.

Bottom line? We all need to sit in the sun w/ minimal clothing early in the morning and drink lots of water while we do jumping jacks or situps to rev us metabolism and hair cuticles. We will all have lots of hair and smaller bodies. LOL.

Or be arrested by the police after our neighbors call to report our strange morning behaviors.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 1:37am
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm right with you on that lifestyle, Karen.

Just imagine if the major league long-hair obsessives started a cult community........

After that metabolism revving morning routine
We would all wear satin, leather, suede, silk and other hair-friendly materials.

We would work in jobs where there was no machinery for hair to get caught in - and - where we could wear it loose all day.

The longest haired individuals would be our elders and leaders (nothing to do with age). ..Jennifer Eve, Karen Marie.....

Impromptu head massages would be exchanged during the day and night - no holds barred on duration, number of participants, etc. Torture, eh...NOT.

We would help each other wash and comb and brush and braid (sigh).

oooo...I'm getting carried away with this little fantasy. Have to go to real work!!!
Must think some more about that morning routine of yours Karen.
See ya - have a great day.

Uzma
Uzi

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 3:31pm
Hi Uzma,

Where do I sign up? Hee hee.

I agree with your thoughts of Jennifer Eve and Karen Marie (the other one) as female hair priestesses and maybe Dave Decker and Beatnik as the male hair priests? Or some other version. And I could go for the velvet, leather and lace.

Have a great day at work.

Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic