Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedfish/cod liver oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jazzgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fish/cod liver oil
    Posted: April 27 2003 at 5:24am
what's the difference between fish liver oil and cod liver oil? and what do they do to the hair actually? it's vitamin A and vit. a just makes hair less coarse?
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2003 at 11:48am
You know, I'm not sure what the difference is between fish oil and cod liver oil.

My hairdresser recommended I start taking cod liver oil, so before I bought some, I searched about it on Google, to see if I could find any warnings about it being harmful.
I did not find anything that said it was harmful, nor did I find anything about it helping hair growth. What I DID find were websites saying Cod Liver Oil helps with arthritis and mental sharpness. Apparently, Cod Liver Oil is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.

I don't know why they don't mention this on the label of Cod Liver Oil bottles. I guess it has something to do with FDA regulations. Omega-3 must not be on the list of things the government recognizes as worthy of belonging on their little "Supplement Facts" charts.

Some of the websites said you could take Omega-3 tablets as a substitute with the same results, if you are vegetarian. I remember also reading that you shouldn't confuse Cod Liver Oil with Fish Oil, but I'm not sure how they are different.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2003 at 5:38pm
Both cod liver oil and fish oil contain omega-3,6,9 fatty acids.

I do not think the oils contain vitamin A. You want to be careful about vitamin A, though, as extreme excess will result in hair loss.
jazzgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 1:56am
I've done a little research and it says that cod liver oil should be taken during cool seasons like fall-winter and fish liver oil in spring-summer. What do you guys think?
"We have both lost ourselves, but sometimes we reveal the most when we are least like ourselves."
-Anais Nin
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 8:05pm
Hi all,

I have been taking some form of EFA oil for years and it makes a huge difference in my skin and my hair. I have problems with cod oil...it tends to make me burp, which makes me think I am allergic to fish. I take flaxseed oil instead and seem to do just fine with it. However, I have read great things about cod liver oil as a rule. Some people though may be allergic to fish and have problems with breakouts and other things.

Great topic. Thanks,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 9:30pm
Hello Ev'reebodeee!

Actually, Purple, Cod Liver Oil tablets do contain a great deal of Vitamin A, and also D. According to my bottle, one serving (3 softgels) contain 75% of your daily intake of Vitamin A, and 100% of your Vitamin D!
Which I'm not too thrilled about, since I'm already getting more than enough of both of those. I also take Centrum, and I drink a lot of milk.

GNC sells something called Triple Cod Liver Oil, which has 3x the amount of Omega-3 in each tablet, but still the same levels of Vitamins A & D. (Instead of calling it Omega-3, they call it EPA and DHA. Not sure what the difference is.)
Anyway, I reason that since the Omega-3 is what I want, I'll just take one of these Triple Cod Liver Oil a day, instead of 3 regular Cod Liver Oil a day, and get the same amount of Omega-3 with not as much Vitas A+D.

I just need to finish this bottle of regular Cod Liver Oil tablets so I can start in on my Triple Cod!

In a related tangent:
I'm always reluctant to take Cod Liver Oil tabs together with powder-based tablets like Nourishair and Centrum. I just have these visions of the Cod Liver Oil globbing up the broken down vitamin powder and interfering with the absorbtion in my belly. But that's just my imagination painting weird pictures in my mind that are in no way related to the actual biological mechanics of digestion.
I do that a lot.

But hey, it worked for those kooky people that came up with that rediculous cellular animation that shows how Pantene magically enters the cells of your hair to repair damage and smooth the cuticle! LOL What crack were THEY smoking? Who cares? That animation sold them millions of bottles of conditioner!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 9:51pm
Whoa, I just found this page that tells you more than you ever wanted to know about Cod and Fish Liver Oil. But I'm still confused about the difference between the 2! There must not be much difference.

Here's the page:
http://www.drugstore.com/templates/hnotes/default.asp?catid=42794&trx=HN-IN&trxp1=3&trxp2=41678&trxp3=1&trxp4=42794

Hope that link works.

And here's the Triple Cod Liver Oil I mentioned earlier:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=41678&catid=11453&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=11453&trxp2=41678&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SRCH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic