Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will Brushing Hair Everyday Help It Grow Faster?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWill Brushing Hair Everyday Help It Grow Faster?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will Brushing Hair Everyday Help It Grow Faster?
    Posted: May 16 2003 at 10:52am
Hello.
I just want to ask if brushing your hair every day will make your hair grow faster. If so, what kind of brush should you use? Thank you
Bunny
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 11:44am
Hi Bunny,

There is a lot of controversy about hair brushing. Will it make your hair grow faster? The majority of hair care experts will say "no". Some people believe that brushing hair will stimulate the hair follicles near the roots and thus will help hair grow at its optimal growth potential. Others will say it has no impact.

One thing to consider. If you use the wrong type of brush you might even suffer a hair growth setback because the wrong type of brushes MAY rip out new hair growth and actually slow your growth of healthy new hair.

Some hair care experts say you should never ever brush 100 strokes a day (which is the old belief about 100 strokes a day w/ a brush) and that you should only brush to gently style your hair or remove knots. Others say you can brush 100 strokes if you use a good brush and really feel the need to brush that much every day.

Yes I know. So much conflicting info on brushing.

Here is my own personal humble opinion on the subject.

1. Brushing with the wrong type of brush will harm your hair whether you brush 100 strokes a day or just 1 stroke a day.

Avoid brushes with sharp edges or ball points that are fixed. If possible use a boars or mixed boars head brush. Yes, Mason Pearson makes the best but they are also the most expensive. Ambassador and other brush makers do have less expensive options. I personally own a Mason Pearson top of the line brush but also a few of the Ambassador 5100s.

2. Brush ONLY to style and do it gently. Never force a brush through your hair.

3. Do not use a brush to stimulate hair follicles or to encourage growth. If you wish to do that, gently give yourself a light scalp massage using a little bit of almond or other healthy oil and with the pads of your fingers (avoid nails that might scratch or pull hair) you can massage your hair gently at the roots for a few minutes every day. If you wish to do this, please research further.

4. Follow the standard healthy, strong, long hair growing tips including drinking plenty of water, eating healthy, getting your proper nutrients and minerals and using the best products for your hair.

5. Keep visiting HairTalk. There are so many very experienced and knowledgeable people here (too many to name) that know what they are talking about and can help.

6. Never believe heresay or rumors about hair until you check the facts.

In summary...will brushing hair help it grow faster? In my opinion, probably not.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
shelton@hairboutique.com
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 2:00pm
Hi

My opinion:

Whether you use a nylon, plastic, wood or natural bristle brush, the act of brushing progressively wears away the hair cuticle. If you are trying to grow long, healthy hair, brushing regularly is not a good idea.

Also, brushing that is aimed at stimulating growth by dragging the bristles across the scalp, causes tiny scratches to the surface of the scalp.
Would you brush the skin anywhere else on your body in the same manner? Would you not cause scratching, redness and scarring?

Of course, the scalp is densely packed with hair, and the hair that grows near the roots will take the brunt of the scalp-aimed brushing.
If you go for the 100 strokes a day technique, you may damage the new hair that is emerging from the root and is not fully mature yet.
You would be damaging hair at source.

I suggest you get some seamless combs (Kent, Mason Pearson, etc).
A wide tooth comb for post-wash de-tangling and some finer toothed combs for grooming, styling and smoothing - whatever you need.

Lastly, I am just giving you my angle on brushing and don't mean to put you off it if it works for you.
Many others brush and their hair is just fine.
So, ultimately, once you have all the differing opinions on the matter, the true test is to find out for yourself.

Best of luck

Uzma
Uzi

Rubis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 4:01pm
Karen`s advice is very good.
I also think that a scalp massage is more soft for hair and
more effective to stimulate the scalp blood flow.

During summer, the hair grows faster because
the heat increases the blood circulation in the scalp
and maximize hair growth.

You can look at this article :

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip273.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic