Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGNC Delinea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GNC Delinea
    Posted: June 01 2003 at 5:28pm
Has anyone tried GNC Delinea? It has Marine Protein in it, so I wonder if it's a poor man's version of Viviscal. I am a poor (wo)man, so maybe it's for me!

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=82177&catid=29488&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=29488&trxp2=82177&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

I wonder how marine protein is different from regular protein. I've started eating protein bars once every other day or so. They are more expensive though, in the long run. They're $2 to $3 apiece.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 6:00pm
SuperGrover

Just my 2 cents....and it may save you more than 2 cents:

Buy dried Japanese seaweeds and either crumble them onto your salads (nori), add to soups (wakame, hijiki) or powder them into a cup of hot water and drink as a tea (kombu).

This stuff provides class-A marine proteins & minerals (it's also vegan i.e non-animal derivation).

Seaweed is easy to assimilate in the natural form and means you will not be ingesting non-synergistic combinations of substances that potentially disrupt your digestive process.

It also costs a lot less than the pills and tastes good (well, to me).

Just my experience and opinion.

Uzi
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 10:35pm
Thanks Uzi!

I would agree with you that's probably a better way to get marine protein in your diet. But I only eat salad 2 or 3 times a week, and I eat soup almost never. Tablets are just easier for me. My diet is so erratic. At least I no longer consume fast food 4 or 5 days a week. That was college. Hey, who can turn down 3 McDonald's cheeseburgers for $1.50? Yum. I used to only eat 2 meals a day, too. Now I'm back up to 3, on most days.

I think seaweed tastes good, too. I like to get seaweed salads when I eat at Japanese places. :)
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Rapunzelwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rapunzelwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 4:16pm
It's funny you should mention this, because someone on another message board (Naturallycurly.com) just told me that these two products have the same ingredients. She said she has gotten 1 1/2" growth/per month in the back, and 1 " on the sides, using Delina. That's pretty fantastic, especially since Delinea is about half the price of Viviscal. I looked it up on GNC's website -- they seem to market it as more of a skin supplement, instead of a hair supplement. Also, they make no claims about it helping with hair loss (Viviscal does).

When you compare the two labels, they look somewhat similar. They both contain vitamin C and Silica compounds. Viviscal calls it's "secret ingredient" Cartiligeous Seafood Extract (North Pacific Marine) 300 mg-- Delinea calls it's "natural marine protein complex" 250 mg. I guess the key here is how similar the two marine ingredients really are. I'm going to talk more to the person on the other board who says they are the same, and possibly email GNC and ask some questions. I'll share what I find out!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rapunzelwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 4:18pm
BTW, Uzma -- I love, love LOVE Sandman (and his Sis, of course!) -- and Neil Gaiman is my favorite author of all time. So, I guess you could say I like your Sig!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 11:10pm
Hmmm RapunzelWannaBe. Thanks for that post! That's really interesting.

The only thing is I feel guilty not supporting HairBoutique.com. Karen is so darn generous running this great board and writing so many great articles, I want to help support her.

But the Viviscal is sooo expensive. It's really beyond my means to buy it every month. I guess I'll buy some pretty hairclips instead. :)
marine protein View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marine protein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 8:24am
even though delina is marketed towards skin, viviscal also makes a vitamin with marine protein for the skin and one for the nails... on the vivinal website it says the marine protein in theres is shark and bovine cartilage (http://www.viviforyou.com/products/vivinal/ingredients.html), probably the same as all of the these high priced marine protein pills.
Jeffrey Hines View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffrey Hines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 10:56am
Delinea may very well be a good product.

However, I question the posts on the message boards, because someone associated with Delinea spammed our message boards with tons of messages in the past. This makes me question the validity of any post associated with this product.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rapunzelwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 4:39pm
So, do you think the person who told me about the product on the other board is somehow affiliated with GNC? Hmmm... interesting... could be. I'll keep an eye on her other posts to see if she seems like a "real person" or a spammer. She still has not answered my question to her, about how she found out the products had the same ingredients, as she put it. I'll post what I find out.
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 2:22pm
After reading these posts I decided to look into Delinea. From what I can tell just by reading what's on the internet it's worth trying. I called my local GNC and they said it's $26.99 for a box of 60 (which will last a month).

Here's my plan (which I think makes perfect sense). If you're a GNC Gold Card member the first week of every month you get 20% off purchases. A gold card only costs $15/yr. If you purchase a Gold Card then buy a box by this Saturday (or during the first week of any month), you'll only be spending about $5 more than just purchasing the delinea alone, but the beauty of it is you'll be ready for your next box the first of the next month and using your Gold Card you save 20% which equals out to a little over $10 a box on this stuff. So esentially you'll be paying around $17 each month. I think that's worth me trying it out for a few months and see if it works. What do you all think??

Just wanted to share what I plan on doing. ;-)
Becky
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 4:27pm
Made a mistake in my calculations.... it would be $21, not 17. But either way it's still affordable (as long as it really works).

Becky
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2003 at 12:09pm
Ok, guys. I went and got a Gold Card and Delinea today. I just took my first pill (which smelled horrid). I'm going to try it for a few months and keep you guys posted. I'm going to continue to take biotin and amino acids along with the delinea.

Hope this works!
Becky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rapunzelwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2003 at 2:09pm
Do the Delinea pills have a slightly fishy taste? (Viviscal definitely does) -- just curious.

rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2003 at 7:02am
I'm not sure if it's a "fishy" kind of taste, but it tastes BAD! Between the smell and the taste they're kinda hard to take.... they'd better work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2003 at 10:05am
Becky! That is exactly what I plan on doing! Great minds think alike.

I've just been working so much lately I haven't had time to either read and post here OR go to GNC!

I already have my Gold Card, cuz I buy Ultra Nourishair and my husband eats loads of protein bars.

As for the spammer, that surprises me. I believe Delinea is exclusively GNC, like Nourishair. And I think the folks at GNC have more professionalism and class than to use such tactics to promote their products. But maybe not. Maybe they have one strange employee. Who knows. I would Google Delinea, but now I must run. Later this evening though!

Bye all! :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2003 at 9:53pm
Hey! I bought Delinea today! Already took my first pill. I didn't notice any strange odor, but then I didn't really sniff them either.

I did Google Delinea. Nope, it's exclusively GNC. The only other Delinea was an energy company. :) I wonder where the word comes from.

I'll let you all know how well it works for me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rapunzelwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2003 at 11:53pm
I bought some too! After all this talk, I had to try it. The look and taste (in my opinion) are identical to Viviscal. To me, they both smell a little fishy. So, let's see how they work!

Deena

P.s. -- started a Silica supplement too -- taking 1000 mg a day -- is that the right amount? Anyone?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2003 at 11:12am
Wow, that's a lot of Silica. I only get Silica in my multi-vitamin and that's only like 3 or 4 mg. There's a small amount in Delinea, too. If I were you, I would research Silica at a place like webMD to see if they say anything about too much Silica being bad for you. (Just search on Silica Overdose or Silica Harmful). I know too much of certain vitamins, like B vitamins, are supposed to be bad for you.
But I don't mean to scare you. If they're selling such high doses of it, it's probably OK.

Oh, and Delinea does smell fishy, but it isn't overpowering to me. I guess it's about the same as the Cod Liver Oil caplets I take. I just hold my breath when I take them. :)

Let me know how you like the Silica! Of course, the problem with trying so many things at once is that it will be hard to say if it is the Delinea or the Silica causing the benefits. But oh well. :)
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2003 at 2:17pm
please let us know if they work. right now i can't afford all the vitamins and hair care products i really want i feel like i'm always saying i can't afford it right now...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 12:15am
Me too Monica! Sometimes I resent living in such a consumer oriented society. Everywhere you look, there is something else to buy.

There ARE other ways of living, I think. Somewhere...

But I really can't talk. I'm one of the biggest shoppers I know. Very Pisces, so I've read. (Which I am. :) )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic