Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perming braids???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mle View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perming braids???
    Posted: February 12 2004 at 12:14am
I'm thinking of perming my shoulder-length hair and I'm considering a "body wave." But tonight I decided to washed and braid my hair so it will be wavy tomorrow, and I got to thinking....

Why can't I just perm braids instead of hair in rollers?

I've been looking all over the web and am very surprised that I haven't run in to this yet. Surely someone has attempted this. I prefer the "wavy" look to the "curler" look.

Any thoughts?
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2004 at 2:17pm
That is an interesting question. I don't know if you can do that or not. I don't really see why not but it might be good to ask a hairdresser what they think. Let us know if you do it.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
yellorowz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellorowz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 2:29pm

"To create deep waves on long hair, ask your stylist about a pigtail perm. In it, sections of hair are braided into pigtails—-either tight or fat and loose, depending on the desired result. Then hair is permed."

I just "stumbled" across this forum in my surfing session to find out about spiral perms. I have very long (mid-back), straight, limp, fine hair. I just called a salon to see how much it would cost, and when she quoted a three-digit figure, I knew I would have to have a friend do it for me. So, I am trying to learn about perm rods and sizes, how difficult it is to maintain the spiral curls, and if it would be a "wash and go" thing.

I might just try this "pigtail perm"!

"Simplicity is beauty."
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 9:01am
If your hair is fine be very, very wary of any kind of perming process. It is very difficult to get a good result on fine hair. It is just too fragile and either is fried by the perm or it doesn't "take" at all. I have had multiple perms over my lifetime and was full of regret every single time. It takes a long time to grow one out and that is about the only way to get rid of them. Even if you did get the spiral curls I think they don't last very long. If you are really going to do it go to a professional and spend the money. Sometimes you save more in the long run by spending more in the beginning.
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2004 at 1:48pm
That is not necessarily true. I have had many perms that turned out just fine, and lasted till the hair grew out. If anything, I have to make sure not to use rods that are too small unless I want the really kinky look.
Lisa
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2004 at 10:27am
I'm just reporting my experiences. I have had many hairdressers who refused to perm my hair at all. It is very baby fine and thin and generally perms have been horrible for me. A lot of the literature out there advises against perming fine hair too, especially if it has also been colored. I found that I had a lot of breakage with each perm in addition to fried hair and frizz. And the flat place on top when the perm starts to grow out. I just say be very careful.
lushuz View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lushuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2004 at 2:04am
ok let me tell you i did this at home permed my hair into braids... at first it looked good then as the perm starts to wear off it jus gets very frizzy almost like a fro unless i put silkner in it.. if you decide to do this go to a professional and i would suggest having them braid you hair in cornrows.. the braids that go vertically from the front to the back of your head.. your hairstylist should know what im talking about.. if you do these brainds your wave will come out better and smoother

passerby View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passerby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 10:59pm
I braided and permed my very thick shoulder length hair right before my mom's wedding. Crazy!@!!
I had the biggest afro!! I then went to a college for practicing hair students because I couldn't get in with my regular hair girl and I was short on time. They gave me to this girl who had done something similar to her own hair and it looked awful. I wish I had just run home then. She chopped my hair short thinking she could just get rid of the frizz or something and then I really looked like I had a fro. I waited a few weeks, bought a wig, tons of frizz ease and then went into the african american hair section and bought some hair straightener. Much better!! I could fake healthy hair with a curling iron but it was so fried. Do NOT BRAID and PERM at HOME!!! It's not worth feeling ugly and ruining your hair for months because you think you want to experiment and save on money for a day!!!
Use rods, follow directions or go professional at a salon if you can't take your straight locks!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic