Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How Often To Weigh?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bratty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Often To Weigh?
    Posted: May 14 2003 at 5:14pm
Hi,

My biggest problem is that I want to weigh myself all the time, which just sets me up to be bummed out because there is not enough time in between and I don't see progress.

What do you all recommend for a good weigh in schedule?

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 6:14pm
Welcome to the board, Bratty. What an excellent topic. I find that I have this tendency, too. I always want to jump on that scale. The thing I hate most about this tendency is that we tend to base whether we feel good or bad on a number.

To answer your question, I think it depends on the individual. I've known women who say they need to weigh themselves every day to stay "honest". But I think for most people, that's way too often. Because of shifts in water weight and other factors, once a week will give you a much more accurate picture of where you are weight-wise, particularly if you are dieting.

In the very early stages of my diet, I weighed in weekly. After a while, I changed to once every two weeks, then once a month. Once a month works best for me, because I like to see progress. So even if I only lost 1/2 or 1/4 lb a week, I'll still see a nice drop every four weeks.

I would like to lose another 10-15 lbs and then I'll be done. Then I think I will continue to weigh in once per month, in general. When I get on and off the scale too often, I tend to become too obsessed with the numbers when I should be focusing on feeling good and exercising. I know if I follow the steps to good health, the numbers will take care of themselves.

Keep those great topics coming!

Elissa
[/url]

Firefly Gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefly Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:15am
Ah yes. The scale. I try to only weigh about once a week but really it is best to go once a month. That is hard to do so I hide my scale so I won't think about it because after all, it is just a number. :-)
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:21am
Forgot to mention--I don't keep one in my house for that reason. We have a doctor's scale at work, I use that when I need to.
[/url]

Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 8:04pm
I agree with the weekly or less often. I like weekly when I am tinkering with the diet, but after I am happy with it, I go with bi-weekly. I can see monthly, but that has not been enough for me personally.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic