Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Mags Do You Read?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Mags Do You Read?
    Posted: May 17 2003 at 3:21pm
Hi,

I was lying on the treatment table at my accupunturists's office this morning and thinking of new topics for all the boards. Yes, I need to get a life, but it occurred to me that some magazines I read really do give a stronger message about body image and other acceptance than others. I have been thinking about this since Elissa mentioned that she stopped reading Cosmo.

So what mags do you read and why? Do they encourage you to feel good about yourself or do they push the "everyone weighs 2 pounds and looks like a super model" image?

I personally read First which has a wonderfully positive spin on everything and Vanity Fair because of the great writing and focus on a wide range of topics. I also love Marie Claire because it covers a range of intelligent topics of interest to women. I used to like Woman's World but they always have these giantic photos of mouth watering cakes, pies, cookies so it would be hard to read the mag w/out being assaulted with big gooey desserts. LOL. Of course I read all the hair/beauty/fashion mags to stay up with trends but I consider that more work than fun. :-)

What about the rest of you?

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
onefabulousgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefabulousgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2003 at 6:49pm
Hi Karen,

I read a wide range of magazines, but agree with Marie Claire, they have awesome articles that appeal to everyone and use models which are not your average size 0. Even though I am a size 0 (naturally), I still do not think it is healthy nor fair to portray this as the only "socially acceptable" size and weight.

I do read Vogue and Elle for the fashion and articles, but to be honest I am not really affected by the models because I have seen many in real life and they do not look that good that thin in real life as they do in print. I know they are airbrushed and artfully posing at the most flattering angle. I barely even notice them, I notice the clothing they are wearing. I would say that the models in fitness magazines like Self and Shape are ones that I notice and aspire to look like, and I applaud them for using healthy models as opposed to "clothing hangers" but of course they would because fashion is not their genre.

Unfortunately, I stopped reading Cosmo several years ago in my early 20s. Now, I do not find anything appealing about that magazine. We are lucky to have many publications to appeal to just about everyone though!

Cheers!

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2003 at 6:55pm
Is "Mode" still around?? I forgot all about that mag.
I don't do regular mags...Modern Salon, Process and Salon Today...all trades.

I don't buy teen Mags for my teen age daughter, accept maybe 'Girl".
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2003 at 7:18pm
Hi OneFab

You made a great point about the models. I was at a magazine shoot in Dallas awhile back and they had a hot new teen model there. She was literally skin and bones. I wanted to feed her. :-) Of course after she was all made up and her hair done up and posed, she looked fantastic. But it was not reality and most young girls would not realize that. So I agree with your points about that.

Also, welcome to HairTalk. Glad to have you here.

Hi Sophie,

I have not seen Mode around lately. I read Modern Salon, Nails and Salon Today. They are very realistic. I used to like Jane in the early days but they have seemed to veer off towards a more Cosmo approach.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 1:16am
I read Self, Shape, and allure. The first two are great as fitness magazines, and they throw in some beauty tips too. allure is purely for fun, and to see what's in the latest trends.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 1:26pm
Hi Karen

I read the following mags:

Geographical: the magazine of the Royal Geographical Society of Britain

National Geographic

Dwelling (modern architecture)

....and various art, poetry and sci-fi journals.

No emaciated pubescent females wearing extortionately-priced clothing in sight!!

Uzma :-)
Uzi

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 1:57pm
Hi Uzma,

ROTHLMAO. I used to love the Geographic mags. My aunt and uncle always had them at their house and we kids would sneak in and look at all the bare breasted people. :-) Now of course it is pretty tame stuff but still a very good read. Thanks for the scoop. I must say, knowing you, I am not at all surprised. LOL

Karen

PS. Any plaid tartans in any recent issues? You know how I just love plaid. :-0
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 2:52pm
i really like FIRST. they have good articles and it is pretty cheap. i used to read cosmo a couple years back but i got bored with it. i would read the soap opera magazines too but also got bored with them. i sometimes read PEOPLE especially if bon jovi is in yes i'm a huge bon jovi fan. i got to met jon back in 93. that was such an awesome experience
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 3:12pm
Hi Monica

Bon-Bon is AWESOME.
I had a Bon "moment" in the early 90s during a concert at Wembley Arena.
He was on his "flying machine" and all us girls were craning our necks to look at this handsome long-locked god above us. And trying to sing along with him at the same time.
Then Bon descended really low and we all reached up to touch him....heaven....
At one point he looked at me and gave one of the sweetest smiles I have ever seen (sigh).

Now IF Bon had worn a tartan kilt while flying above us, we would all have fainted, for sure.
Oh well, a girl can dream.....aaahhhhh! Enough with the plaid !!!!!!

Hugs

Uzi
Uzi

princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 4:56pm
LOL uzma you are funny i got to take a picture with jon and get to talk to him for a few minutes. my mom was with me she laugh at me i told her i got touch his sweaty hair! my mom and i went back stage waiting at a table. i was sitting with my back to the entrance where jon came in. my mom saw him come in first she said monica look! i did the girly scream LOL luckily he didn't hear thank god! i got to compose myself when he got to us
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 8:11pm
Good topic!

I used to love Mode, unfortunately it folded. I loved the message of Mode, and would have kept reading regardless of my size.

[/url]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic