Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Amazing News!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazing News!
    Posted: May 18 2003 at 7:26pm
In the New Better Homes and Gardens…June issue. Way in the back of the mag., there is an article called “A Chocolate Coated Heart”. It basically say’s that Chocolate is good for your heart.

It appears that compounds in chocolate called Flavin-3-ols are responsible for the decreased risk of cardiovascular disease among people who regularly eat chocolate. Well, that’s me! Yeeeaah!

Leave it to me to find the most obscure article, in the back of a magazine that I don’t usually read, to support all of the beliefs I’ve held for years. I ALWAYS knew that Chocolate was good for you!!!

PS>>>>Really, I think God guides you to the things, that are important to know in life. CHEERS.

uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 7:59pm
Hi Sophie

What a wonderful topic!!

Chocolate is THE most important “food” on this planet ;-) dontcha think???
Women have known this ‘forever’ - science is just finding out.

Benefits of Eating Chocolate

Chocolate has exceptional nutritional qualities, being a high energy food in a small volume.
It not only contains carbohydrates, fats, and vegetable proteins, but also has large quantities of potassium and magnesium, some calcium and sodium, and vitamins A1, B1, B2, D, and E.
Chocolate contains a number of other substances in small, but effective, quantities:

THEOBROMINE, which stimulates the central nervous system, facilitates muscular exertion, acts as a diuretic and appetite stimulant.

CAFFEINE, which increases resistance to fatigue, intellectual activity, and watchfulness. An average size chocolate bar contains approximately 6 mg of caffeine, compared to 100-150 mg in a cup of coffee.

PHENYLETHYLAMINE, which is the chemical released in our bodies when we fall in love and is chemically similar to amphetamines, therefore acting as a psycho-stimulant.

TRYPTOPHAN, an essential amino acid that increases the production of serotonin, an anti-depressant and natural stress-reducer. In fact, a decrease in serotonin levels in the brain may trigger cravings for starches, sweet foods and chocolate.

ENDORPHINS, natural opiates that are released by the brain in increased amounts when eating chocolate, thereby elevating one's mood and reducing pain.

PHENOLS,which are also found in red wine, tea, fruits and vegetables, and may help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.

CATECHINS, which are antioxidants that may help protect the body against cardiovascular disease and possibly cancer, are found in substantially higher quantities in chocolate than in black tea.

ANANDAMIDE, which mimics the effects of marijuana by acting on the same brain receptors, resulting in a very mild "high".
Plus, chocolate has two ingredients that inhibit the natural breakdown of anandamide and hence may prolong the feeling of well-being.

Read the full article here: http://www.medscicommunications.com/just_for_fun.htm

I think that’s all the information we need to get rid of the guilt-factor that spoils chocolate consumption.
Let's just gloss over the sugar content for the moment OK?

Uzi
Uzi

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 8:09pm
This is great news. Now if only I could find a way to STOP once I start...
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 3:32am
In that case, my heart must be in great shape!

I actually heard this a couple of years ago: a small (sorry!) piece of chocolate is very healthy if you're drinking tea at the same time. Don't remember what sort of healthy thing it's supposed to do, though.

But it's good for you and that's all that matters, isn't it!?
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 9:29am
Isn't life Grand!!!

Uzma, You are amazing, I love that info....I'm going to print it up and put it in my next Salon Newsletter...It will be perfect for all of my fellow goddessa's...(My Clients).

Elissa, try the deepest semi-sweet dark chocolate you can find. It's sooo rich you don't need to eat very much.
If your going to binge on the dk stuff...I reccomend NOT doing it just before bed...lol, it will keep you awake.

Isla, I've been trying to drink more tea, maybe if I know I can have a little chocolate with it, I will be more likely to have it more often.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 12:41am
Ah, but have you ever tasted chocolate without sugar in it?! I have, and I found the taste extraordinarily bitter. The chocolate is good for you, but not the sugar. Sorry...
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 7:44am
Your right Jen, But I'm sure not at a place where I'm willing to give up sugar. I'm still indulging.... in moderation of course.
Orc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2003 at 1:06pm
Try the Fake Sugar substitutes or give it up all together.
I have for now 5 years.
And whatever I buy from the super market I always monitor the caloric in value for fat and sugar.
Blijf luisteren naar je lichaam en haar!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2003 at 2:18pm
We need more info on the fake sugar thing...?? Maybe we can do a thread on it.

I've always avoided them, probably because of urban legend...for the most part. Not that sugar is any better for you.

Does anyone have any cold hard facts on the Aspartame, Splenda...saccharin(sp?) thing?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic