Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vacation challenges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacation challenges
    Posted: May 23 2003 at 8:15am
I am going on vacation. In the past, vacation used to be synonymous with eating anything I wanted for the duration. I remember having gained as much as ten pounds during some vacations in the past. That is simply not going to happen to me again.

In my new life as a thin person, on this vacation I am going to focus on the activities and the companionship NOT the food. I have one fancy dinner out planned, and for that I am focusing on the romance and what I am planning to wear (pretty small sized dress!) and NOT the meal. I will choose something healthy. In fact, for all of the meals, there is always a healthy option and I am going to take it.

This vacation is going to include a lot of walking/sightseeing type stuff, so I plan to be active and healthy and not eat like food is going out of style. That is not what my life is about anymore. Period.

The one thing I am planning is to have an ice cream cone once on vacation! I have not had ice cream in a year! I am looking forward to it, and that's normal and ok.

Do you guys find vacations challenging in terms of staying on your health regimens? If so, how do you handle the challenges? Any tips for me besides the ones I am already thinking of? Thanks!

See you all in about a week!

Elissa
A thin person now, devoted to staying that way for life

[/url]

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 6:59pm
I'm back, and I didn't gain an ounce. First time in my life I've gone on vacation and didn't use that as an excuse to eat like a pig.

We had dessert a few times, and some fancier breakfasts than we have at home, but we also walked a lot more than usual. I feel so incredibly normal , and that feels so good!

In the past, I never could have kept up with all of that walking without whining and complaining about my feet, my knees, and my back. Not only did I keep up, I enjoyed being active. It was sheer heaven, enjoying my vacation newly in shape.

My boyfriend proposed and gave me a ring on my birthday, so now I'm engaged. Life couldn't be sweeter, and I don't need food as a substitute for happiness anymore.

NEVER AGAIN, that. Never.

Elissa
[/url]

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 7:27pm
Elissa.
Congrats on your engagement! Wonderful girl!
Best wishes to you and your guy!!!
tina
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 7:46pm
Yeahhhh! Elissa, Congrats girl!:)
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 7:54pm
Thanks Tina, thanks Sophie!!!!

you guys on this board are the BEST!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 11:55am
Congratulations Elissa

You are going to be a beautiful bride - your fiance is a lucky, lucky man .

And well done for keeping away from vacation temptations!!
Uzi

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 12:23pm
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Both on your engagement AND your diet diligence! Have you set a date? You must be so excited!

Did you get to have some ice cream? That is downright amazing that you abstained for a year...I for one do NOT have that kind of self-control. I count Ben and Jerry among my personal friends :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 12:27pm
Uzma,

Thank you so very much for your kindness! I feel truly blessed.

Elissa

Originally posted by uzma uzma wrote:

Congratulations Elissa
[/url]

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 12:32pm
Thank you Lyris. Since it's a second marriage for both of us, we will have a tiny wedding including only our very immediate family--so we will be able to marry this September or October. The date is not firmed up just yet. I AM so excited!!!!!!!!

I didn't have the ice cream when we were away, but he and I shared a soft vanilla cone during a day trip to NYC last Friday. Funny, I just hadn't wanted it until then. And even then, it was just ok-not the big deal I thought it was going to be. I think I would have liked it better if I'd had my own cone. It's just no fun trying to be dainty sharing an ice cream cone with your man. I needed my OWN cone to really go off and enjoy! If that makes sense...

But then my future parents-in-law bought me an ice cream birthday cake (Carvel!) and THAT was absolutely scrumptious! It was all yummy and melty and perfect.

Thanks again for the good wishes! You guys here at the board are very special to me.

Elissa

Originally posted by Lyris Lyris wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Both on your engagement AND your diet diligence! Have you set a date? You must be so excited!

Did you get to have some ice cream? That is downright amazing that you abstained for a year...I for one do NOT have that kind of self-control. I count Ben and Jerry among my personal friends :-)
[/url]

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 5:28pm
Just for the record folks, I find being home more of a challenge than being on vacation. When you're on vacation, there is usually no refrigerator to beckon, and you're always busy. Also, there is no work stress.

Sometimes things turn out to be different than I would expect when it comes to dieting and being healthy. But nothing will stop me from staying healthy. I can do this! This time it's for life.

Elissa
[/url]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic