Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the grossness...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whitney_brett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the grossness...
    Posted: June 11 2003 at 4:38pm
after dieting for a while, does anyone else feel so totally gross when they do eat something fattening? not necessarily guilty but it's just i can just feel the pounds coming back on....it's a disgusting feeling. just wondering if anyone else felt this way.
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 5:25pm
I've never been overweight and never really dieted, but in a way I know what you mean, because for a while I was a vegetarian. When I first went back to eating meat, it seemed very gross to me!!!
Now I just eat a little meat on occasion and I no longer have that reaction to it.
tina
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 7:38pm
Whitney,

Welcome to the boatds and thanks for a great topic. I feel like that constantly, and it's something I have to work very hard at overcoming. Not only because it feels so bad, but also because I think it can lead me down the path to destruction. The old way used to be, "diet, screw up, beat self up, eat to punish self". So now, when I 'screw up', I tell myself: "It's no big deal, it never happened".

You know, even when I eat normally, but not in a dieting way, I sometimes feel like I did something wrong and start calculating my day's calories in my head in a panicky way. I know I have the propensity to become a bit obsessed about this stuff, or even to go in the other destructive direction (i.e., anorexia), so I try to remain ever-vigilant about staying reasonable and rational regarding the whole diet and weight thing.

I hate that I'm like this but I'm working on acceptance. I'm 37, and this has been going on for a long time, and it doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.

Tina, thank you for sharing your perspective on this.

I would be very interested in hearing others' experiences with this type of "eating guilt", or whatever you want to call it. Thanks.

Elissa
[/url]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 7:50pm
i sometimes feel guilty...example--i was eating really healthy and working out, then i got my wisdom teeth out last friday and i haven't been able to eat solid foods or work out for nearly a week...i ate mac n cheese today because it's semi soft and i just felt so disgusted with myself...like i could feel it just clogging my arteries and i wished so much that i hadn't eaten it. Even though I know it's no big deal i suddenly feel like a failure and like i have to work extra hard to make up for my lack of discipline. That's why i started this thread.

Elissa--I'm exactly the same way--even when i eat normally i start to calculate calories or fat grams in my head. i'm really not overweight but could stand to lose a couple lbs. I'm a bit on the obsessive side---i binge eat (no purging, but still definitely not healthy), then i swear it's almost like i can actually feel myself gaining weight. I just need to learn to control my portions and stop eating when i'm full. I think this stems from when I was younger, my parents would have me "clean my plate" and now i can't bear to leave any food on my plate, especially when it tastes so good! although this is easy to solve at home--fix smaller portions--at school and out to eat it's not so easy.

sorry, i'm a bit of a rambler . I promise I'll get better at collecting my thoughts and organizing them so they'll be somewhat coherent...LOL
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 8:53pm
If you have to eat at MacDonalds eat the small hamburger or cheeseburger not the Bic Mac. And skip the fries.

You want to be healthy and reasonably lean?
Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, lean meat and fish, maybe some dairy products like 2% or skim milk.etc.

Skip the pastries, pastas, fried potatoes, candy, pies and cakes,etc. You really don't need any of that garbage!
I don't always live up to my ideals but I'm getting better at it. A piece of fruit is better than a piece of pie. A yogurt and skim milk for breakfast is better than fried potatoes and pastries.

You eat good stuff you won't need to think about counting calories.

I have always been pretty slender and I stay that way-(except when I am pregnant)- by eating healthy and not eating too much.

Counting calories, what a hassle! Just eat good and exercise a little and you won't have to worry about it!.
tina
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 9:48pm
Whitney, your post was just fine, no apology is necessary.

I'm a binger too, in addition to being on the obsessive side. I totally understand and I know that it is SO HARD to be this way. It's hard for others to understand why we do the things we do. Hell, it's hard for US to understand why we do them!

Tina, we don't count the calories to lose weight, we do it because we become obsessed if we eat one thing outside of what we know we should, and scramble to determine if we've messed the whole thing up. Obsessive behavior isn't rational, and people like me and Whitney know exactly what we're supposed to eat and that we should exercise. We know better than most people what we should be eating (though I thank you for the sound advice, you are absolutely correct!)

We just don't always do it.

But, I never gave up trying to overcome this thing and to become more balanced and I am not giving up now. What seems to work best is to keep reminding myself to go easy on myself, telling myself it's ok and reminding myself that I look and feel good, and that I'm a small size now and not to worry. I have to be my own cheerleader and support. Whitney, we both know that a little mac and cheese won't hurt us, nor will one binge or even a week of poor eating. The idea is to forget about it and move forward, being as gentle, kind and loving to ourselves as we possibly can.

I always say "treat yourself with the same love and compassion as you would offer your best friend". That works so well, but it's a lot harder to put into practice than it is to type it here on the board.

You have my sympathy Whitney. I know how hard it is to be this way.

Elissa
[/url]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 11:52pm
Elissa---just wondering, do you ever find that you're obsessive about other things as well? i didn't know if it was just limited to food or other things. I'm a bit obsessive and compulsive about certain things it seems, food included.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:34am
Whitney,

I would not exactly call myself obsessive, but when something is important to me I do tend to go at it full force--I don't do things halfway. I also to be a person of extremes, very all or nothing.

I think I have the tendency to become obsessive about weight and body moreso than most things, but I fight that tendency all the time.

As for other topics, if I find myself starting to obsess I fight that too. I try to stay very self aware of these things.

Elissa
[/url]

Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 9:13am
HI Whitney,

Two good questions.

1. Yes I do feel "quesy" in the stomach after going off my diet - that's good since it makes it easier to stick with it.

If you need semi-solid, blend up fruit and greens in a blender: goes down easily and VERY nourishing

2. Obsessive about other things? Yes, I expect many people who feel the need to lose weight are compulsive aboutsome other things. But don't get too obsessive about "Am I being obsessive"

Giles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 1:44pm
I find that I'm obsessive about a lot of things---but who isn't a bit neurotic sometimes?

I still feel pretty gross today. I think I'm going to walk tonight (if it doesn't jarr my mouth around too much). That always makes me feel better---good stress reliever! Of course, that's AFTER traffic safety school....oops. hehe
Stinka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stinka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 7:49pm
Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is super obsessed with their body. I absolutely hate food when I eat it and the feeling that's in my stomach afterwards. Bloated-ness sucks. Especially when it's water, even though it's super amazing.

How much does everyone work out here? What do you guys do to stay fit and slim?
"And to make a long story short, I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time..."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic