Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Binge Eating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binge Eating
    Posted: April 21 2005 at 7:50pm

I've been in OVEREATERS ANONYMOUS for over 15 1/2 yrs... I am maintaining a 125 lb. wt loss.  Before OA, I gained and lost nearly 700 lbs.   Here's a few worthless weapons I used against my bingeing..... doctors, lawyers, indian chiefs, psychiatrists, nutritionists, fat farms, spas, resorts and cosmetic surgeon... all to no avail... I did not have to find out about nutrition, but with OA uncovered the causes and conditions that made me overeat/binge... 

Genie

Genie Aldrich
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 3:32pm

mine used to grab my stomach and call me "fluffy"

I traded that one in for a newer model.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 8:52am
For many people, the key is solving the problems in their lives that are causing the stress that led to bulimia in the first place. I suppose for some women that might involve a spiritual recovery program...

For me, the first step was getting rid of my nagging ex. Though it took years to get completely over it.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 7:45am

I am diagnosed with binge eating disorder and bulimia.  I would recommend overeaters anynomous, a nutritionest/dietician, doctor, anyone.  Bing eating IS an eating disorder, and there is help for it.

(edit: if your like me then overeaters any. may not be your best bet.  They stressed the spiritual/god thing entirely too much for my taste, and I dont believe just "hoping/praying/wishing" for something will make it happen.  I am not religious and therfor did not feel welcome) 

Edited by Kalika
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 1:15am
You should probably try to eat small amounts of food maybe every four or five hours, so you're never hungry.  Carry around healthy snacks like an apple, baby carrots, celery sticks, a banana, just something good for you to snack on whenever you're hungry.  Oh, and carry around a water bottle, too, because water is also filling.  Hopefully if you can keep yourself from getting too hungry, you'll be less likely to binge. . . unless you eat on cravings.  The hunger is the easy part to take care of, really-- it's the cravings that kill me :-P .
More awesome than a manatee!
kaylajean444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaylajean444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 1:24am

i have been trying to loose a few pounds, and i'll do good untill the evening but i guess i don't eat enough, and then i just give up and eat a ton.. feel terrible afterwards.. and i don't know how to stop!

Benji the Sausage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benji the Sausage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2004 at 7:35pm
ive never. really binged. for three years ive struggled with anorexia and bulimia. on and off. in the beginning i starved myself mostly, them moved on to throwing up. i just recently stopped that. even though i will do it occasionally. i dont binge either. if i eat a normal meal, i'll throw it up. i never eat until uncomfortably full. if im eating something healthy, i wont throw up, but if i have just a normal portion of a rich or fatty food I will.

so. no. i don't binge. and being that i have, for the past three years, spent most of my time eating very SMALL portions, i dont really understand how people could binge eat. but i do understand the problems with food at least, as mine have been equally as bad, just the opposite.

im 16 now. i started this when i was 13. just under 3 years ago.

i didn't really realize how long this has been going on. until yesterday a friend of mine who moved away two years ago moved back and came to visit, and complimented me on being thin. and said "remember back when you used to throw up everything?... that was really scary. I was worried" and i realized ive been having this problem for YEARS.

i dont think i'll ever eat a lot, or be particularly normal about this. im much better than i was. but this goes in cycles. i'll be fine for a while and it will come back. the first few times i thought i had kicked the habit of it but now ive realized it's damned impossible to beat.
BSL/Blonde/Chemically Treated (abused)
1b/cMii
I swear by Redken Extreme and Shea Butter.
Scarlet Ribbons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Ribbons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2004 at 12:59am
Hi, I've been throught this whole thing for years, and I've never completely gotten over it- I'll revert a few times when I get really stressed out, but one thing that has helped me was an article I read a little while ago. It said to judge your hunger on a scale from one to ten- one being absolutely starving, and 10 being completely full and bursting at the seams. You should try eat when you are at a 4, which would be slightly hungry, and eat until you are at a 5, being not hungry, and not full. That way, you don't over eat, and you don't starve yourself to the point to when you finally do eat, you just eat everything because you're so hungry.
Hope that helps!
Everything is a test to see what you
will do.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 4:33pm
That is an interesting theory. Perhaps some kind of physical imbalance. Since this often first occurs in the teens (or after having a baby) I wonder if there is some sort of hormonal component involved. I remember once when I was about 15 I ate nine peaches while watching an episode of Star Trek. I cannot imagine doing that now.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 7:01am
oh my god, reggia, I never even thought of that. I have not had the sugar craving for over a YEAR! I eat so much fruit, maybe even too much (though my sugar level is quite normal thank goodness).

I think this theory has a LOT of merit! This could be the reason I have not craved sugar at all. I used to eat whole bags of cookies, containers of ice cream, etc. I know that there is a psychological aspect too. But here we have a person who never had any type of eating disorder who came up with a good theory.

Now come up with a cure for the refined carb craving, and I'll love you forever!

Elissa
[/url]

reggia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reggia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 10:45pm
For years, I couldn't understand how someone could overeat or binge. At that time, I could never force a single bite that I wasn't truly hungry for. However, yes, a however , after my 2nd child I found I had to eat alot faster and I was very hungry. At this time, I started the Fit for Life diet (which helped me lose the 40 lbs from pregnancy) and, surprising to me, began craving foods which led to bingeing. I'm talking whole bags of potato chips, half a cake, large servings of cookies. I believe that there must have been elements/minerals missing from my diet. So acting on that theory are two things that have been helpful for preventing the craving in the first place.

If salty foods are the craving, try eating celery more often as it is high in sodium. Maybe seafoods from the ocean would be helpful, too.

If it's sweet foods then make sure you're getting at least 2-3 servings of fruit each day. I found that taking L-glutamine helped the sugar cravings, too. Just be sure not to take for more than a few weeks at a time. I read that taking any amino acid for too long upsets the balance.
reggia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reggia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 10:44pm
whoops, double post
whitney_brett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 9:10pm
i feel like i've finally gotten my binge eating under control somewhat. it helps me to plan ahead---i know this isnt always practical but if i plan out exactly what i'm going to eat for the day and i make sure that it's enough i find that i don't need to binge. I'm very much a person that appreciates order and i do very well in a structured setting, so if i plan out exactly what i'm going to eat and when for a couple days, i get used to the amount of food and type of food that i'm eating and no longer feel the urge to binge. Whew that was a long sentence...hope it made sense.

demodoll...i hope your daughter is doing well, i'll pray for you and your family. I'm 17 and i too have watched movies about bulimia and tried to purge, but thank goodness i was never successful. i wonder what it is about those movies that triggers in a teenager's mind that purging is okay to do...

"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 5:38pm
They gross me out, but then I used to put unclean safety pins right through my ear piercings (circa 1980) and I suppose that was pretty gross, too.

Is it Karen Shelton whose sig line says "that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger?" I'm not a parent YET but I have the feeling that one will come in handy....someday.

It sounds like the two of you are close. Some day she'll be grown with a daughter of her own and you guys will be even closer.

Elissa
[/url]

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 5:30pm
I hope that holds true for my daughter. She did tell me the other day that piercing the tongue apparently stops all purging behavior immediately. She has been angling for that for quite some time but I find it frightening to see one of those studs sparkling around in someone's mouth. I am sure she'll do it on her 18th birthday if she hasn't already though. Her friends all have pierced tongues that they hide from their parents..... Sigh.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 9:25pm
Demo,

It must have been so difficult for you and the entire family, first the accident and then the recovery period and onset of the eating disorder. I'm so sorry you had to experience that.

I have known many eating disordered women, including my own mother, cousin, and many friends. When it onsets during the teen years, it does tend to get better as the young woman matures. I hope things just keep getting even better for her and for you.

Elissa
xoxoxox
[/url]

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 12:11pm
Wheeler,
Thanks for your kind words but I think as a mom I will always place some blame for my daughter's eating disorder on myself. It is just so hard to deal with. I always felt like I could handle most of the stuff that teenagers do having been sort of wild myself but this is not something I ever expected. Drugs, unwanted pregnancy, that stuff I could deal with but this is so insidious. I guess she just won't get over it until she is ready. We have her on Paxil which seems to curb the impulse a lot but I know she still purges occasionally. I don't want to follow her to the bathroom every time she eats but what else can you do???

I think you are right though. Society plays a huge part in all this. She actually told me she tried it after seeing a show about bulemia on TV. I guess they discussed "techniques" or something and she was going to a swimming party and that solved her "tummy problem." She was in a horrible accident and spent a lot of time in a wheel chair. After she was walking again it got really bad for awhile. She is better now but an angry person in general. She is very beautiful but like most of us she can't see it herself. She does realize it to a degree though because she gets a LOT of attention and perks due to how she looks. At least her weight is normal and she is working out again but I know that doesn't mean a whole lot in the world of bulemia. Many people who do that are normal or even overweight.

I hope things will even out for her. The accident was the turning point toward full blown bulemia but she is doing better. I wish there was something else I can do but then I have my own body issues, especially as I age. That is very, very hard.

I could go on and on. Thanks for all the support out there.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 4:53pm
Indeed, Giles. Normal eating is like asking an alcoholic to have three drinks a day and not get out of control.

Food is never an issue for me until I start eating. I am fine until then. But sometimes when I start eating I simply cannot stop. I suddenly feel overwhelmed by a compulsion to keep eating. Thank god I am in control of it these days. But some days are a real struggle. For those who are lucky enough not to know, I can't even begin to tell you what a nightmare it is to not be able to stop eating when you want to, especially when you are eating past the point of sickness. It is horrifying.

Thank you for making that excellent point, Giles.

Elissa
[/url]

Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 12:27pm
Tina and Elissa:

One problem that folks with an eating disorder have that other addicted people don't is that they can't just quit. Go to AA and stop drinking completely (but many of them smoke like fiends), similarly with drugs. But people with eating disorders still have to eat. This makes it far more insidious.
Giles
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 4:45am
Tina,

Eating disorders are a type of mental illness. There is no rhyme or reason to them.

I wish it was as simple as "just eat normally". It's kind of like telling an alcoholic "just drink normally. Why get rip roaring drunk and destroy your life when you can just drink moderately and have a nice time?". The behavior is compulsive and can't be simply arrested.

Most of the world has trouble understanding eating disordered behavior, not just you.

Elissa
[/url]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic