Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Scale: friend or foe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Scale: friend or foe
    Posted: June 24 2003 at 2:53pm
I have this dilemna regarding the scale.

Over the years, the scale has been both friend and foe: friend, in that it helps me stay "honest", and tells me the deal when I'm feeling fat (i.e., whether or not it's all in my head). But it's been a serious foe when I let what it says determine how I feel about myself. Especially when I was very overweight.

A long time ago, I got rid of all scales in my home and wrote them off. When dieting, I would weigh in at an outside scale at work, at a friend's house, or at weight watchers ONLY.

Since I am now unemployed, I don't have the work scale anymore. That is the one I had been using. I went out yesterday to buy one from Koll's and the darn things were $60-$70, so I didn't buy one. But I did get on it, and I am maintaining just fine.

So I don't know if I really should buy a scale or not. I want one around, but I don't at the same time.

Do you find the scale to be friend or foe? Do you keep one around? How often do you use it? I would love to hear others' experiences, especially for dieters but also maintainers.

Thanks!
Elissa
[/url]

princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2003 at 3:56pm
my mom does NOT believe in them. my father used to torture her trying to put her on one. my mom goes by how her clothes fit her.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2003 at 4:07pm
Foe! Don't do it never have. I don't encourage it for my teen age daughter. Especially when your tall and quite large boned.

Weight means nothing....she is a good example....she is 15, 5'9" tall and wears a woman's size 10 shoe and weigh's 165lbs. She is beautiful strong has great posture and is by no means fat.

There is no way she is going to be healthy if she thinks she should weigh 110 or even 125 lbs....like many of her smaller framed friends.

They started asking eachother about the others weight when they were 10-12 years old.....ridiculous! Her answer was, she didn't know how much she weighed...and that was good, even then she was bigger than all of her friends. Not fatter....larger.

Using a scale as a guide when your losing weight and can be helpful I imagine. I just don't want her to live by it.

Some years ago my Sister started a work out routine at a gym, some weeks later she had gone down 2 dress sizes...but gained 10 lbs. Muscle weighs more than fat.
Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 4:29pm
I agree with Sophie, a scale can be a good tool if you are measuring the progress of a new diet, but you always have to factor in clothing size, or you get a very bad picture. I use the scale plus waistline for most things, and have found the same thing Sophie mentions: the waistline is a better indicator.

But talking about gadgets, if there was a really good home device for measuring body fat, THAT would be great. I havent seen any that looked real accurate, however.
Giles
cait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 5:37pm
Foe, definitely.

Our scales are absolutely useless because the reading they give can vary so dramatically depending on where exactly we put them. Move them an inch on the floor and the reading can go up or down by several pounds. Seriously!

I find clothes give you a much more honest and reliable opinion on weight change. Jeans usually give the most critical verdict.

Cait x
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 7:59am
You are all right about the scale.

However, I did buy one and now of course I have been getting on it every morning. I know I shouldn't do that. Next week when I have my period I am staying OFF. That's the worst time to weigh.

Elissa
[/url]

Stinka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stinka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 3:48pm
Foe? No way!

Well, maybe in some cases (Ie: Fat days), but the scale is definately my friend. It lets me know how I'm doing when it comes to loss and gain. I know that if I don't weight myself everyday, I forget to think about what I'm eating etc., and then it all goes straight to hell.

Ah, scale, you're my boy.
"And to make a long story short, I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time..."
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 9:00am
Definitely FOE!!! I don't now or have I ever owned a scale. I run 3 - 3.5 miles most everyday, weights a few times a week...eat most anything I want, in moderation of course. Two cookies...not half the bag, two slices of pizza as opposed to 4..etc.!! I'm 5' 10"...and very happy with my body image. Completely rely on how I look and/or feel in my clothes...hasn't failed me yet!! *lol*

A number on a scale is like that of age...only a number. As we all know muscle weighs more than fat....a 155 lb. women who works out, is toned well will look far better than say a 120 lb. stick figure!!

Mylissa
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 9:48pm
I like your sense of humor
[/url]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic