Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So close...yet, so far

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So close...yet, so far
    Posted: June 27 2003 at 8:05am
The scale thread made me think about my diet. As I've mentioned before, I have been dieting for close to a year. My anniversary is July 8th. I've lost another couple of lbs, leaving me 10 pounds from my goal weight (135).

It is so hard to lose weight after you've been dieting for a year. I took about 70 lbs off of this tiny 5'3 frame. Has anyone experienced the so-called diet plateau? How did you deal with it? I know I should increase exercise. I couldn't possibly eat less protein/carbs and still be healthy. Probably I should just leave what's working alone and be patient.

I have to figure out how to celebrate this upcoming anniversary.

Elissa
[/url]

Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 12:54pm
Hi Elissa,

I have noticed these kinds of plateaus as well. I recall something I read recently written by Dr Joel Fuhrman. He said that on a healthy diet your body would eventually stablise at its ideal weight on its own. The idea is that some set target may not be right for you. If your diet is working, and you have lost that much weight, I would suggest that you trust your body and your diet, and not worry about the exact target weight.

Another way to think about it is that 135 is a nice round number, but why not 138 or 133? If you were used to kgs, you might have selected either 65kgs or 60kgs as your target. (Nice roundish sort of numbers) That would be 143 or 132 respectively.
So don't get hung up on one specific number that may not really be right for you.
Giles
Starburst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starburst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 2:16pm
Hi Elissa & Giles,

Giles, that is so helpful. If we let our bodies tell us where we need to be it is going to be better in the long run. I for one know that is best but I also tend to be very much into checking the scale. Which I know I shouldn't do but it is so ingrained in me. Also, the medical doctors perpetuate this with the fact that they insist on weighing everyone when they go in for a visit. I hate that part intensely.

Star
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic