Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Safe fasting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stinka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stinka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safe fasting?
    Posted: July 04 2003 at 10:14pm
I want to go on a three day to weeklong fast, but I'm totally oblivious to the science to it, and how to do it correctly. I don't want to pull an anorexia thing.

Any suggestions on how to fast in a healthy manner? I need something easy and that will help me control cravings. I feel like I've been over-eating like a jackass lately. I need a good cycle, dammit.

Thanks!
"And to make a long story short, I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time..."
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 11:22am
Do you want to fast to lose weight, or is it for religious purposes?
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 8:59pm
*I know that many in the medical profession believe that a sensible diet and eating in moderation and exercising* is preferable to fasting, starving yourself, diet pills or fad diets to lose weight*. *Happily I don't have a weight problem but I do eat sensibly and get some exercise.
Hope that helps you a little. Good luck!!!!!
Jezi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 5:34am
I think fasting is a great way to cleanse & heal the body (as well as the mind & soul!). Since your posting on the diet area of the boards, I'll assume its for your body.

A safe way to fast is to do a juice fast... meaning have a couple to a few glasses of the juice of your choice during your fasting days, as well as water. What happens during these days is your giving your body a rest... all the parts that are focused on processing food through your body get to take a break and regenerate themselves, which is a good thing. This according to a doctor named Don Colbert.

I was listening to a christian talk show once and one woman, for faith purposes, did a juice fast for 40 days (yikes!!). She had a number of great physical effects along with spiritual effects. She claimed never to have felt better in her life!

Good luck to you!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 1:21pm
I am not trained in the medical sciences, but I do not believe that fasting could possibly be good for one's body. A several-day juice fast might be cleansing, but fasting for extended periods of time is just dangerous. The body needs essential nutrients on a daily basis, and reacts poorly when deprived of them. There's a good reason that we feel like crap when we fast.

If someone wants to fast, it's her body and her decision, but I would never recommend it to anyone.

Elissa
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 2:52pm
Hi all,

Well fasting was my eating disorder behavior of choice many years ago when I was insane about food & before I did my 12 step work. I did not do it in a healthy way. What I did do was pretty bizarre.

Bottom line, I lost a lot of weight very fast but my hair started failing out, my skin went nuts AND I reset my metabolism so that when I started eating I regained the weight very quickly. All in all, not a good thing, at least in my experience.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 7:56pm
There is at least one semi-prominant MD who believes in the benefits of fasting: Joel Fuhrman.

He fasted himself as a young man (at Dr. Shelton's clinic) to over-come some health problems that were interferring with his skating. He won a bronze in the World Championship Pairs Figureskating after that.

He now recommends a good diet more that fasting, but he has supervised fasts of over 40 days.

On the religious side, a friend showed me a fascinating book about religious fasting back in the late 70's but I don't recall the exact title.
Giles
allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 11:47pm
If you feel like 'crap' when you fast,then you're not doing it right.
Stinka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stinka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 3:46pm
Thanks everyone!

No, it's not for religious purposes. The only time I fast for religion is giving up something on Lent, and during Holy Week. But come Easter...PIG OUT!

Lol

Anyways, yes, it's for bodily purposes, but I think I was just on a gargantuan binge week. I've gotten myself under control again, and I'm doing well.

Juice fast, eh? Sounds intriging.

But has anyone ever tried the week-long lemon water cleansing fast? Apparently, you're supposed to have nothing but lemon water for 2 days, then you move onto fruit and lemon water, then fruits, veggies and lemon water on day four, then eventually, you get to a whole meal, then a day's worth of eating on the last day.

Tea rocks, so I might try it.
"And to make a long story short, I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time..."
reggia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reggia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 10:57pm
I haven't tried that myself. I sometimes have low blood sugar problems so I've developed a fruit fast. Fruit is very cleansing and may even speed * detoxifying. The easiest way for me is start after lunch the first day skipping dinner and continuing the next day up until dinner. Dinner on the 2nd day should be very light as to not sabotage the progress you've made. I usually have a pint of fresh veggie juice followed by a salad and either a cooked vegetable or a thick slice of whole-grain bread.

Ya know, if you fasted just once a week that would equal 4 days a month. I've lost several pounds a month doing this but I always eat fruit during it.

*If you detox too fast, you may feel pretty crummy feel a while, e.g. headaches, tummy troubles, dizziness.

Hope this helps... Good luck whatever you try!
kaylajean444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaylajean444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 1:36am
well if you are going to do that then maybe you should still have liquids.. definitely water... go on a solids fast lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic