Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atkins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 9:21am
I will not even pretend to know much about Atkins or nutrition in general, but the following link might help with determining protein needs:

http://www.gncproperformance.com/news_trends/trends/sk_protein_power.asp

One point in it I found particularly salient: "If you eat more calories than you need in a day, even if they are protein calories, you will still store the extra calories as fat."
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 10:41am
sorry, slight faux pas.

It was the New England Journal of Medicine.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 3:16pm
Sophie said:
Quote i TG, I had just read (although I don't remember where), that the average American, especially Woman, were protien deficient and need up to 60 grams a day. This seems like a lot. I'm a meat eater and I don't get 60 grams a day very often. ???
I'm interested in this subject...Do you remember where you got your information? I would very much like to read up on it. It seems that what you have heard is the opposite of what I have...
Love to know. Thank's

Thanks for questioning back, i like it when people give me a challenge...:)

Here is some of the info, with sources:
According to THE VEGETARIAN HANDBOOK by GARY NULL, 1996-
"Animal protein...is where the problems of excess protein begin. First, a typical U.S. diet...can add up to over 200 grams of protein, or about four times higher than the highest recommended requirements."

According to FOOD REVOLUTION: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life And The World by JOHN ROBBINS-
"Protein in human mother's breast milk(as percentage of total calories):
5 percent
Human minimum protein requirement(according to the World Health Organization): 5 percent of total calories
US recommended Dietary Allowance for adult protein intake: 10 percent of total calories
World Health Organization international guidelines for optimum protein intake: 10-15 percent of calories"

This means that if you are supposed to consume 2,000 calories, you could get about 35 grams of protein and be within healthy limits...is that correct or have i done the math wrong? I'm bad with math...:)

According to THE VEGETARIAN WAY by VIRGINIA MESSINA, MPH, RD, and MARK MESSINA, PHD-
"When calories are adequate, protein deficiency is virtually nonexistent. This is because protein is so abundant in the food supply. Grains, vegetables, beans, nuts, and seeds are all rich in protein. Only fats and alcohol are lacking in this nutrient. In underdeveloped countries, protein deficiency is sometimes seen, but it is nearly always due to a lack of adequate amounts of foods, not to the use of low-protein foods."
"We think it is a good idea for all people to strive to meet the RDA. It isn't too difficult to do this, as the average American male consumes about twice as much protein as is needed."

And then, according to my own findings:
I am a vegan, i consume no eggs, milk, meat, cheese, etc: all things that are generally high in protein, but i have used online food analyzers(you type in everything that you eat and then it tells you about how much cholesterol, vitamins, etc, you got.) I am easily able to attain about 50 grams each day even without consuming a lot of nuts or beans or anything like that.

Ok, well, i've typed for so long, that i really have to get off the computer, but i'll come back later, maybe with some more info.
ALSO:
I really don't know about stuff like this- but if i am not suppose to taking direct quotes from other people's books, please tell me and i will ask for someone to remove it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 3:16pm
Sophie said:
Quote i TG, I had just read (although I don't remember where), that the average American, especially Woman, were protien deficient and need up to 60 grams a day. This seems like a lot. I'm a meat eater and I don't get 60 grams a day very often. ???
I'm interested in this subject...Do you remember where you got your information? I would very much like to read up on it. It seems that what you have heard is the opposite of what I have...
Love to know. Thank's

"Animal protein...is where the problems of excess protein begin. First, a typical U.S. diet...can add up to over 200 grams of protein, or about four times higher than the highest recommended requirements."

According to FOOD REVOLUTION: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life And The World by JOHN ROBBINS-
"Protein in human mother's breast milk(as percentage of total calories):
5 percent
Human minimum protein requirement(according to the World Health Organization): 5 percent of total calories
US recommended Dietary Allowance for adult protein intake: 10 percent of total calories
World Health Organization international guidelines for optimum protein intake: 10-15 percent of calories"

This means that if you are supposed to consume 2,000 calories, you could get about 35 grams of protein and be within healthy limits...is that correct or have i done the math wrong? I'm bad with math...:)

According to THE VEGETARIAN WAY by VIRGINIA MESSINA, MPH, RD, and MARK MESSINA, PHD-
"When calories are adequate, protein deficiency is virtually nonexistent. This is because protein is so abundant in the food supply. Grains, vegetables, beans, nuts, and seeds are all rich in protein. Only fats and alcohol are lacking in this nutrient. In underdeveloped countries, protein deficiency is sometimes seen, but it is nearly always due to a lack of adequate amounts of foods, not to the use of low-protein foods."
"We think it is a good idea for all people to strive to meet the RDA. It isn't too difficult to do this, as the average American male consumes about twice as much protein as is needed."

And then, according to my own findings:
I am a vegan, i consume no eggs, milk, meat, cheese, etc: all things that are generally high in protein, but i have used online food analyzers(you type in everything that you eat and then it tells you about how much cholesterol, vitamins, etc, you got.) I am easily able to attain about 50 grams each day even without consuming a lot of nuts or beans or anything like that.

Ok, well, i've typed for so long, that i really have to get off the computer, but i'll come back later, maybe with some more info.
ALSO:
I really don't know about stuff like this- but if i am not suppose to taking direct quotes from other people's books, please tell me and i will ask for someone to remove it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 3:18pm
oops, crud, sorry for posting twice:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 5:03pm
a website with lots of info is:
atkinsdietalert.org/consumer.html
on this page they took a sample of what is recommended to be eaten in Atkin's book and figured out the "Nutrient Analysis of Atkins Sample Diets" which shows high amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol. On the same page it tells the risks of high protein diets.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 10:24pm
A modified Atkins diet is probably healthiest, and even many people I have known who have tried the Atkins diet use it in moderation.
Meat, fish, fresh fruits and vegetables and some whole grains, nuts and some dairy, like skim milk, is a type of Atkins diet that Atkins himself suggested is acceptable.

The main thing is to not eat things like pastries, bread, pasta, baked sweets, pies, cakes,potatoes with gravy, etc., you know the unecessary carbohydrates. That stuff is not necessary for people.

I don't have a problem with being overweight. I eat a balanced diet. I do eat meat, and I eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and some dairy products.
tina
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 2:33am
I agree.

I was on a v. high protein/v.low carb diet for months. I lost a lot of weight (2.5 stones), but knew that the diet was very restrictive, imbalanced and therefore unsustainable.

So now I'm on a modified version.
I eat lean meat, cheese, eggs, fish, chicken, etc at my main meals. But also have seeded wholemeal bread and basmati rice as an accompaniment.
I eat lots of fruit and salads.

I never went mad with fats. About a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil a day was about my maximum.

My proetin intake is still high..between 60 - 80 grams a day, but it is lean protein and I feel energized by it.
Uzi

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2003 at 11:39am
I have been on Atkins for quite some time now. I did manage to lose about 10 pounds but that has been about it. I read somewhere that women who have been yoyo dieters will have to stay on the more restrictive induction phase of Atkins to lose the weight and I have found that to be true in my case. Even though I haven't been terribly successful in losing the weight I have to say I feel very much better without all the carbs I was getting from bread, potatoes, chips, cookies, and cereals. I eat meat, cheese, nuts, and vegetables and I feel very good. When I feel like it I will go back on induction and lose some more. I don't think it is good to stay on that for a long time so I go on and off. But I have quit bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, and cereal for good. It isn't that hard once you get used to it and feeling this great is definitely worth it.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 9:19am
Demo,

It sounds like you're doing a great job and that you have a very sensible attitude about the whole thing. I think that's a very great part of staying healthy, remaining sensible. Thank you for keeping us apprised of your progress.

Elissa
[/url]

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 8:28am
Thanks Elissa. I wish I could report better progress but this is how it is. I am grateful for my health at my age. If I can't be thin I can live with that now.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 7:25am
I read an interesting tid bit yesterday....Bakery's are complaining about a 40% drop in sales in the last couple of years. And they are attributing it to the popularity of the Atken's diet. Isn't that wild?

I know, my family is one of those, who eats way less bread, cakes, cookies and pastries. But on the flip side I pay more for the bread, that we do eat. We are lucky to have a couple of great Bread Bakers in our area...You know, REAL bread, whole grains with only 3 or 4 ingredients. lol. ( no preservatives, transfatty acids, or hydroginated whatevers...ect.)(sp)

It's been a good lifestyle change for us.
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2003 at 12:27am
I'm not surprised Sophie at the drop in bakery sales. I know Tina, her daughter and I are eating less pastries and bread. I'm like you, when we do buy bread we are buying quality bread.
It does seem as if at least that part of the Atkins diet is catching on somewhat with people.
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2003 at 3:04pm
I know that this is the atkins board, but there is another "healthy lifestyle" out there that is similar. Its called Somersizing. You eat Carbs with veggies and Pro/fats with veggies. Fruit is eaten 20 min before either, and you don't eat foods with added sugar. Many items such as potatoes, carrots, corn, and very high in sugar fruits/veggies can't be eaten. Also Nuts and caffene. The carbs that you eat are whole wheat only. I've been on it off/on. Over here, its very hard to find the proper carbs, and other items that would be very good to have with this.
Have any of you heard of this?
Lisa1965 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2004 at 9:58pm
I know this is an old thread. I started Atkins on December 2nd and have lost 10 pounds so far, and over the holidays at that!!! I do feel good on the diet, and I even cheated for 3 days at Christmas, felt so bad physically that I wanted to put myslef back on it.
I have the typical carb addict shape, I am an apple and I know it tends to work quicker for those with this body type. I really like it and plan on continuing and making it more of a lifestyle.. My kids don't like it so much because of the far different groceries that I am buying now!! Oh well....

Lisa
oldburybird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldburybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2004 at 8:02am
i did go on the atkins diet for about 3 weeks but it was terrible for me i had a constant headache was always tired very moody no energy i find just eating healthy is better to me i actually have energy to exercise
oldburybird xxxx
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2004 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

I think I am grouchy because this is just so booorrriiinnngggg. There is so much that I cannot eat that sometimes I would just rather skip the whole meal. And of course my husband is losing much faster than me. One reason I went on this with him (he is doing it for medical reasons--I am healthy) is that I will not let him look better than me. That is a huge motivation for me. Otherwise, I don't know.....

"I will not let him look better than me. " How telling.
mike829 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike829 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 3:26pm
I have been on Atkins for 14 months. In the first four months I lost 30 pounds and since then have very gradually taken off another ten pounds. My triglycerides went from 242 to 102. I went from buying size 40 waist jeans to size 33.
I've talked to lots of other people who've tried Atkins and have observed the following:
Those people who follow the plan as it is in Dr. Atkins' book have tremendous success losing weight and keeping it off. The people who don't read the book or don't pay attention to what is in it are the ones who decry the Atkins diet as unhealthy / pointless / dangerous / a waste of time / etc...
IMHO, if you want to lose weight and feel 100% better in general, READ THE WHOLE BOOK and then do the Atkins diet. It will work and you will be glad you did it.
EmeraldNight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmeraldNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2004 at 2:23pm
Ive tried the Atkins twice now in about 3 week on, 3 weeks off (while counting calories) patterns and the first 3 weeks off Atkins the weight came back quickly that I had lost (about 20 pounds originally).
But the second time I was able to gradually reintroduce Carbs and the weight has stayed off.

One plus for the Atkins is that many people after the first 3 days (when their body goes into ketosis) are not hungry for the carbs anymore. They still hunger for food in general, but not for cake, bread, etc., the cravings go away after a few days, and they're able to eat even more healthily than usual.

I'm one of these people and when Im on the atkins I get more vitamins, protein, and calcium than I do when i eat normally or just count carbs.

Another pro for the Atkins is that it is not how much you eat, but rather, what you eat. I like this because when Im on other diets I get hungry and feel like Im starving myself. I never feel that way on the Atkins, I can eat when I want, how much I want, and I get fuller, faster. I actually counted how many calories on average I eat on the atkins, and it's about 1600 a day, but the weight comes off steadily still.

Lastly, Atkin's induced Ketosis is different than diabetic Ketosis or the other kind that is due to starvation. When in Atkin's you're basically peeing out fat while retaining muscle mass because you're eating so much protein.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2004 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by turquoise_girl turquoise_girl wrote:

Sophie said:
Love to know. Thank's

I'd like to know where they got that 200 gram typical protein intake number from. Even when I was bodybuilding and consciously packing in meat, eggs, and protein supplements, I rarely broke 120 grams, so I know it's neither typical nor average.
Quote uman minimum protein requirement (according to the World Health Organization): 5 percent of total calories

This is just plain wrong. According to the (non-vegan) website I found describing the WHO recommendations, they are very much like the US ones - http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/ProteinRequie.htm -
Quote The WHO protein figures translate into 56g of protein a day for a (75kg) man, and 48g for a (64kg) woman. The recommendations of the UK Department of Health and Social Security (DHSS) are slightly higher, at about 68g a day for sedentary or moderately active men, and 54g a day for women (2). Both these official recommendations suggest that eating 10% of our daily energy as protein will provide an adequate amount. The NACNE report (3)proposes a protein intake of 11%. National and international recommendations for protein intake are based on animal sources of protein such as meat, cow's milk and eggs. Plant proteins may be less digestible because of intrinsic differences in the nature of the protein and the presence of other factors such as fibre, which may reduce protein digestibility by as much as 10%.

Quote ccording to THE VEGETARIAN WAY by VIRGINIA MESSINA, MPH, RD, and MARK MESSINA, PHD-
"When calories are adequate, protein deficiency is virtually nonexistent.

This statement is utter nonsense, but I have heard it quoted again and again. Vegetables are quite low in protein. My own sister, a doctor (!) has tried to tell me I could get all the protein I need from potatoes alone. I calculated that this would take over 4,000 calories of potatoes to do, and would give me 400 grams of carbs per day. YMMV [/QUOTE]

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic