Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

plateauing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whitney_brett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plateauing
    Posted: August 06 2003 at 1:43am
how do you all get past this point? i originally lost ten lbs., would like to lose another ten but i can't seem to do it. i haven't altered my work out routine at all....my diet's going well although i've sneaked in an extra candy bar or two more than i should've. Should I just up my cardio?
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 7:23pm
congratulations on your weight loss!

Plateaus can be so frustrating. Increasing your cardio and water intake will likely help.

How long has it been since you lost anything? I found that in the latter stages of my diet, it helped to weigh in only once a month. This way, if I only lost a quarter or half pound each week, it would still show. But if I got on the scale every week (or more often), I wouldn't see any weight loss.

You also may want to try re-evaluating your food plan. Check the calories, fat grams, etc. When I plateaued, I converted my food plan into weight watcher points, and was surprised to discover I'd been eating 30 points when I needed more like 25 to lose weight.

What is your total weight loss goal? If it's a small amount, you plateau early. It is frustrating, but I am sure you will break through if you are determined.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

Elissa
[/url]

whitney_brett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 7:37pm
my workouts usually consist of 30 minutes of walking on a treadmill then 20 minutes of pilates every day. I've started to drink more water than normal, hoping that would help.

Originally I ate very low fat foods. I've started to eat a bit more than when I first began my diet. I think I've snuck in a few too many cookies. :) I would assume that's why I've plateaued.

My total weight loss goal is about 20 lbs. I've lost ten already. I originally weighed 138-140 (I'm 5'3") and I am now down to 128-129. I am young so I'm not overly concerned about hitting a certain number, I would just like to lose weight and tone up mostly. I suppose I could've also gained muscle so that's why I haven't lost any, according to my scale. Its really hard to not get on there every morning!
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2003 at 4:00am
Hey whit,

I know how hard it is to stay off the scale. I've been doing it almost every day, even knowing I shouldn't.

When you only have to lose a bit, it's even harder to lose weight. Your workouts sound pretty good. I really don't think they need changing, unless you are feeling super ambitious and want to try adding something higher intensity two or three times a week (aerobics, kickboxing, cycling, jogging?) But maybe your sweets are contributing (first you mentioned candy, now cookies).

If the sweets are very important to you (could even be good for mental well being) then maybe you could limit them to ONE sweet choice on Saturday. This way you're not free to splurge when the urge hits, and you could always postpone the urge until Saturday. On my diet, I had whatever entree I wanted on a Saturday night and split a dessert wtih my bf. That was the splurge I looked forward to. It worked for me.

Maybe you could try that, to control the sweet intake?

Elissa
[/url]

Ronda22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronda22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2003 at 9:17am
the biggest mistake is to weigh yourself if you are working out. I am 5'6" and 2 years ago weighed 136. I started working out doing aerobics every day and watched what i ate, and i got down to 120. very happy with the results, i am a very petite framed, so i dont look emaciated. anyhoo, i started lifting weights daily, and when i would get on the scale, i was gaining weight!!! my PT told me that is because muscle weighs more than fat, and she absolutly HATES scales. she belives no woman should get on a scale. she belives totally in body fat percentage instead. they use a caliber and pinch your skin in different places, arms, thighs stomach etc. and i started out at 24% , and now i am 11%, due to weightlifting. women should not go below that number.
so just a tip, if you can, go to a fitness center and have them do body fat percentage, its a more accurate way to see where you are at as far as size etc.
dana073 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dana073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 10:31pm
I agree with Rhonda....if you are working out, DON'T weight on a scale! You will soon become discourages because muscle does weight more than fat. I work out, and the numbers on the scales dropped at first, due to change in eating habits...but then my numbers stayed the same and even increased a bit....BUT my clothes were dropping in size and I was becoming smaller but toner!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic