Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

300 cal/day and NOT losing weight?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 cal/day and NOT losing weight?
    Posted: December 21 2004 at 11:59am
I am getting married in 8 months (from yesterday) and I REALLY want to shed about 30 pounds before the big day. I have already lost 15 (my goal was to lose 50 back in September). I cut back to just having coffee throughout the day and eating just a small dinner (under 500 cal) and excercising about 30 mins/day (burning about 200 cal). It worked great for me!!...at first. The thing is, for the past month I have not lost a POUND. At about 300 cal/day what is going on? I'm only 20 so my metabolism shouldn't suck. I tried the 1000 cal/day diet but I gained weight. I'm 5'8" and right now I am 156 lbs. Any suggestions? PLEASE HELP!
This is because I can spell konfusion with a K
It's hard to like it
It's to dying in anothers arms
And why i had to try it...
- Something Corporate "Konstantine"
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 12:13pm
I also want to mention that when I was 18 (2-years ago) and I was about 125 I didn't look "gross-skinny" or anything...in case you want to say that 30 pounds is too much to loose...
This is because I can spell konfusion with a K
It's hard to like it
It's to dying in anothers arms
And why i had to try it...
- Something Corporate "Konstantine"
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 11:41pm
Hi Mon,
First, congrats on getting married!
Now, Let me say that I'm only 23 and not an expert, but I've been reading and researching diet and nutrition for about 7 years. now. 300 calories is VERY low. Even 1000 calories is considered low. If you are gaining weight with such a low calorie diet I would say try this:

-Try eating very small meals throughout the day. For example: for breakfast, a slice of toast with low fat peanut butter or 1 cup oatmeal with honey. For lunch, steamed broccoli and a small piece of fish, for a snack baby carrots, and for dinner something similar to lunch. This may sound like alot but it's not. Try adding fresh fruits and veggies to your diet in place of fried or over-processed foods. Plus, eating small bits throughout the day will keep your metabolism up.

-DONT skip breakfast. It's best to eat within an hour of waking up. This jumpstarts your metabolism.

-Use very little salt, if necessary. Salt makes you retain water, which can simulate added pounds and a bloated mid-section.

-Drink lots of water!! Very Important. This helps flush your system and aids in digestion. ( A small bit of fresh pineapple juice helps digestion also. There is an enzyme that helps break the food down.)

-Add fiber to your diet. This will come from your fruits and veggies and some of your healthier breakfast cereals.

-Stay away from refined sugars and flavored fruit juices. Many are high in high fructose corn syrup. Not good.

-If possible add a few minutes of exercise to your daily regimen. Taebo, pilates, or simply walking or running will help tremendously along with your diet to shed pounds. It will also give you energy. But remember, you need to eat more than 300 calories a day to shed pounds in a healthy way without depleting your system. Dieting only makes the problem worse and makes you prone to gain it all back again.

-Remember I am not a doctor. These things are all healthy lifestyle changes and you might find that you may have been eating too many fried foods or not active enough. However, there may be an underlining problem too. If you have tried these methods and nothing has worked, consider being check by a physician. (I'm not trying to scare or anything but sometimes it can be other things. Just a precaution) SOme women have signs of early diabetes or need their thyroid checked.

Hopefully this will help you. If you have any questions about what I've wrote please post back. Good Luck and Happy Wishes!!
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 11:44pm
Let me also add that your body may have reached a plateau where the coffee and small dinner is not working. Your body needs more variety to keep it going healthy. You want to look healthy on your wedding day!! Plus, so little calories can do a number on your skin and hair.
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
lucia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2004 at 9:27pm
for one thing u are not eating enough calories so your body is holind onto fat so it can continue its life processes or u could have hit a plateu whyich is when you workout and diet but u lose no weight its normal so dont worry
beck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2005 at 7:52am
that is right... your body is in STARVATION MODE! it is desperately holding on to everything you consume to stay alive. you should definitley add more calories, as scary as that sounds and concentrated on getting your calories from healthy sources and exercise. i did this years ago, i cut my calories WAY back and it reaked havoc on my body. starting with the incredible fatigue, i started geting headaches and now i have brittle bones. there is a certain amount of calories your body needs simply to sustain its automatic functions like your heart beating and lungs working. please rethink your methods, y ou are seriously going to mess up your system.
Marva View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2005 at 6:38pm
Yeah, I agree on starvation mode and stuff... What you should probebly do, as you build on the caliras, is just start exersising differently. :) An artical in a very good Magisen (The Readers Digest, if you've heard of it) a while ago, said that a recent study proved that exersising (like just a brisk walk) for just ten minutes, three times a day, is actually BETTER then a one time half hour a day! ^_^

I've been doing ten minutes a day myself, and it _works_. ^_^ If you put a full ten minutes, three times a day, exersising with an elveated heart rate, then it's fast, and it works. :)

Congratulations on your wedding! Good luck, and I hope this helps! :D G'day! ^__^
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic