Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gripes about the Atkins Diet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gripes about the Atkins Diet
    Posted: December 23 2004 at 12:03am
Hi everyone, maybe I'm not understanding the diet, but from what I have heard and read, for the most part, Atkins does not sound very healthy for me.
I do believe that we consume too many carboydrates, however, we also consume too much fat, salt (which leads to water retention), sugar (diabetes, bloat), and calories all together. I would think it would be healthier to up fruits and veggie intake and decrease meats and fats because fiber helps to shed pounds, not to mention all of the vitamins and minerals you get from the greens. (Alot of cancer-fighting, antioxidant protection, and immunity protection). Many people can eat higher fat on this diet because the carbs are decreased however, studies have shown that with this increase in meats, cheeses, and such there are higher risks for heart disease due to unhealthy saturated fats that clog the arteries. Plus, this diet suppresses the immune system. Unless they are free-range meats, there are many hormones that harm our immune system. Fruits and veggies carry all the necessary things to help boost it. We also get most of our energy from carbohydrates. Without the right amount we are sluggish, fatigued, and our metabolism slows tremendously. If a person is not an active person, than lowering carbs is not a bad idea, however decreasing helpful food items is. A healthy balance of the two in a lower overall calorie diet will help. (Of course many physicians may recommend this diet to their client in which I cannot argue with doctors orders a perosn absolutely needs it.)

I'm not sure if many of you will agree with me on this, because I have heard of good weight lose. However, please consider the other factors involved.
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
BlondeJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2005 at 1:24am
I agree, a healthy well-balance diet is better than an Adkins diet.
A modified Adkins diet might be ok.
I eat a well balanced diet, exercise and play soccer, and I am in very good shape and health.

BlondeJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2005 at 1:27am
I agree, a healthy well-balance diet is better than an Adkins diet.
A modified Adkins diet might be ok.
I eat a well balanced diet, exercise and play soccer, and I am in very good shape and health.

beck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2005 at 7:39am
yes a well balanced diet is definitely the key. however, i have been on atkins for 2 months now and have lost 22 pounds. the induction phase is more restricting as far as no fruits or grains. but later on you can add these "healthy carbs" a little at a time. alot of people think this diet is a go-ahead to pig out on bacon and butter. while these fats are not prohibited, it is certainly recommended that you get your fat from healthier sources like olive oil, which also has its own benefits. granted, atkins isn't for everyone, but alot of people have had success, including myself. By the way, at my dr appt last week, my cholesterol and blood pressure was down, and all my blood work came back with a significant improvement since 6 months ago.
mysweetevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysweetevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2005 at 11:04am
I did the atkins diet for 4 months and lost about 43 lbs! I didnt pigout but ate until I was satisfied. Also make common sense choices for food. But the key is not to over endulge once you go out of dieting mode and back into living mode. If you ever go back to old habits as I have  done once or twice the weight gain is UNBELIEVIABLE!
sweet like honey!
Googly-Eyed-Mon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Googly-Eyed-Mon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 1:46pm
Don't do it please. A member of my family went on this diet and she collapsed! she was in hospital for 2 days - one was spent on a glucose drip - also once you stop (and you will have4 to at some point) you put all teh weight back on - plus more!!!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 7:17am
I agree, Atkins is not only unhealthy but you cannot keep it up forever, that in itself is a hindrance to keeping the weight off permanently.

Atkins might be a good temporary option, though, for people who need to drop a large amount of weight quickly for health reasons. IF under a doctor's care...

JMHO.
[/url]

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 2:16am
remember whatever you do to lose the weight, you have to do forever to maintain it, and as humans we need carbs for energy.  Atkins has been linked to liver and heart failure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic