Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CAN'T Lose Weight!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CAN'T Lose Weight!!
    Posted: January 19 2005 at 1:54pm
Maybe you've seen my last (300 Cal/Day and NOT Losing Weight). ell, I'm still having that problem!! I don't eat breakfast or lunch (maybe just have a coffee) and I have a small meal for dinner (healthy food and under 600 cal. serving) and I power walk for 30 mins 4 times a week. What is wrong with me?? I went to the doc. and they said I was fine like I don't have a metabolism problem or anything.

Any suggestions??

And FYI, the 'eat 5 times a day' diets don't work for me!!
This is because I can spell konfusion with a K
It's hard to like it
It's to dying in anothers arms
And why i had to try it...
- Something Corporate "Konstantine"
aznmitsugrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aznmitsugrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 2:37pm
are you sure your metabolism is ok?? i know you said that the eat 5 times a day diet doesn't work for you, but the doctor said that that was best for me. your body, when it sees that you're not getting a lot of calories in, tries to hold on to the few calories that it does get. so the less is more thing doesn't really hold true in this case.

not to mention, unless you plan on passing out or being in rehab (because your body is suffering from lack of nutrients) on your wedding day, you should start eating some food. 5'8" and 156 isn't bad at all. proportionally speaking, you're probably skinnier than me, and i'm definitely not large.

~~deb

***ps: not eating right or enough can make you teeth week, give you faint spells, discolor your skin, and MAKE YOUR HAIR FALL OUT. trust me, i know from firsthand experience. and that is NOT the way to try to be beautiful
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 9:58am
absolutely true...the most stupid way of trying to lose weight is to practically starve yourself, then exercise and burn off more than you have consumed that day...
not only will your body go into 'panic' 'stavation' mode and hold as many calories as possible, it will start to use muscle and eventually organ tissue to provide the calories and nutrientes you need.
having done work experience in an eating disorder clinic and seeing a girl of 13 having heart attacks from the damge she had done to her body i have to tell you...stop!
if you want to lose weight the best way is to do moderate exercise every day, drink as much water as possible, eat small ,balanced meals three times a day(i'm sure you know what is good and bad for this)and only snack on metabolism speeding foods such as melon, roast chicken , fish and nuts.
if you want a 'quick fix' for your wedding then you will be sorry later, you will fel terrible on the day and probably regain the weight two times on your honeymoon as your body 'grabs' all the things it has been deprived of.
there is no point. your fiancee, friends and family love you just the way you are and so should you!
i can't take it no more so i'm going on a shopping spree
....H.A.R.M.A.R superstar....
emulov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emulov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2005 at 4:57pm
eat 5-6 small meals a day you need breakfast.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 8:00pm
I have to say that I have the same problem. No matter what diet I follow I can't seem to lose the weight. I have tried everything including diet pills. I have come to believe that my problems started when I went on a starvation diet to lose 20 pounds I had gained having my second baby. I lost the 20 in about 8 weeks so I could fit back into my work clothes and go back to work following maternity leave. That was fine but then I gained most of that weight back and I haven't been able to take it off again no matter what I do (and that "baby" is now 13 years old). Some people told me that I ruined my metabolism by losing that weight so fast and with such an unhealthy diet (I ate one small meal a day--lunch-- for 8 weeks). So I don't know. Perhaps I am just destined to be fat and middle aged.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
mark9159 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark9159 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 6:34am

you need ATLEAST 800 calories a day to get your metabolism going..that 300 is NOT enough..

okay..im in high school..i used to be 185..but when football came around..i dropped to 163..this was my schedule

morning: powerbar for breakfast, go to football, run atleast 5 miles and then run continous plays and drills (250 calories from powerbar)

afternoon: half a turkey sandwiche, 1 bottle of Aquarius (sports drink), sleep till 2 o clock (about 170 calories for sandwich)

evening: second football practice, another good 3 miles, dinner=a chocolate chiller from baskin robbins (300 calories from the drink)

i did this for two weeks...

and ever since football stopped..im takin in 1500 calories per day and im at a steady 165 and im 5'11-6" tall

so i suggest take in 1500 calories or so and go to the pool and swim continously or take a 4 kilometer jog as i do..

you'll die before you lost weight on a 300 calorie diet..thats just not safe

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 6:49am

I would go BACK to the doctor and talk to him about healthy diets.  Ive also noticed this, if you drink a lot of "diet" drinks, you wont loose as fast as you would if you had drank water or juice.  My friend had a few stubborn pounds hanging on, the calorie intake was right on target but once she cut out the soda crap compleatly and switched to water and joices, the extra pounds practically melted off.

you cant just count calories, you need to pay attention to where they are coming from.  200 calories from healthy foods is way better then 0 calories from junk.

Jeda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 10:28am

Try adding real organic yogurt and/or kefir (a probiotic live culture milk product). They've helped me realign my gastro system and intestine, and I've been losing some weight too.

It's also important to not skip meals. Try 1) watching portions and 2)having fresh fruit and veggies more than anything else, that should help.

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 11:09am
Could be due to the mysterious 'high triglycerides' that apparently I too suffer from!
DianeLuvsMunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeLuvsMunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 12:01pm
Well here is what works for me.  I don't know how old you are so our metabolisms could be different. Im 21yrs old, 5'6 , 160 lbs.  I use to weigh 180lbs and at that point decided I wanted to lose weight, I sill have 20lbs to go to get to my target 140lbs.

1st- I eat only up to 1500 cals a day. Not below 1000 cals. I did not exclude any fat or carbs.
2nd- I did cardio exercise for at least 1hr a day, 1/2hr did not really work for me. I did this 6 days out of the week.

*After a while I think my metabolism increased enough to the point where I could miss a workout session once in a while and still lose weight. I don't believe in starving yourself, so maybe even 1500 is too small for you. The taller you are the more cals your burn up therefore you need to eat more.
msblueyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msblueyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 11:46am

I always follow a high fiber/low fat diet (I usually eat 5 small meals a day).  I excercise 6 times a week, cardio 3 x's at 45 minutes and a weight training regimen 3x's for an hour or an hour and 15 min.  Building your muscle will up your metabolism and up the amount of calories and fat you burn on a per day basis.  This is what works for me.  Since the first of January I have lost 18 lbs. and went from 26% to 16.9% body fat, and dropped two full sizes. 

P.S. The body for life program works wonders, too! go to www.bodyforlife.com 

msblueyes
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 1:45pm

Actually, some people don't seem to believe that there really are people who can consistently follow a diet and exercise too---yet not lose weight. I used to find it quite easy losing weight, but after I passed 40 everything changed. Now, I do Aikido (I'm a black belt), power running, swimming+ diet, but I still don't lose weight.

kateadreena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateadreena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 1:04pm
if you eat less than 1000 calories per day your body goes into shock and starts STORING fat.
msblueyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msblueyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 10:19pm
Have you had your thyroid tested?
msblueyes
tbctbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbctbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 9:28pm

Thats incredibly unhealthy...

I'm 5'10" and about 135...I've been the same weight since I was 15, I'm 28 now...here's what i've been doing for a while (obviously there can be some variation, this is a basic day):

Breakfast (7am): 2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices of ezekiel bread - looks like this: http://www.mybloodsugar.net/foodforlife.htm with butter on top - cinnamon rasin is good, low sodium tastes like cardboard

Lunch #1(11am): about 1/4 cup of raw cashews

Lunch #2(2pm): big as I want organic salad with hummus (I LOVE hummus)

Lunch #3(5pm): vegetable.fruit juice - I have a juicer, so I throw in fruit and veggies, whatever I feel like...about 16-24 fl. ozs. love carrot juice/ apple sweetens anything...

Dinner: grilled salmon (about 4 ozs.) with steamed veggies - I like squash, broccoli, and asparagus...

And, once a week, I eat whatever I want for dinner, even pizza is fine...decide on a cheat day, and you'll cheat less the rest of the week...and twice a week, I get a cookie(never buy a bx of cookies, or you'll eat the whole box, only buy one cookie at a time, thats key:))

I also go to the gym twice a week (once a week -an hour- wih a personal trainer guy - he busts my butt if I'm not eating well) and two other days, I walk outside my house for 2-3 miles...

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 12:45pm

New research says the health risks of being fat are exaggerated. The conclusion is that if people exercise and don't gorge on fast food, they can carry a few pounds extra and still be very healthy.

It works for me!

msblueyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msblueyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 5:21pm
I agree with the once a week cheat thing.  Anyone could go mad NEVER splurging.  I usually have my cheat day on Sunday.  Go to a big breakfast and everything.  I've hear it should be 80-20.  Eat good 80 percent of the time and you should be okay weight wise.
msblueyes
kickinit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 11:13am
Originally posted by tbctbc tbctbc wrote:

Thats incredibly unhealthy...

I'm 5'10" and about 135...I've been the same weight since I was 15, I'm 28 now...here's what i've been doing for a while (obviously there can be some variation, this is a basic day):

Breakfast (7am): 2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices of ezekiel bread - looks like this: http://www.mybloodsugar.net/foodforlife.htm with butter on top - cinnamon rasin is good, low sodium tastes like cardboard

Lunch #1(11am): about 1/4 cup of raw cashews

Lunch #2(2pm): big as I want organic salad with hummus (I LOVE hummus)

Lunch #3(5pm): vegetable.fruit juice - I have a juicer, so I throw in fruit and veggies, whatever I feel like...about 16-24 fl. ozs. love carrot juice/ apple sweetens anything...

Dinner: grilled salmon (about 4 ozs.) with steamed veggies - I like squash, broccoli, and asparagus...

And, once a week, I eat whatever I want for dinner, even pizza is fine...decide on a cheat day, and you'll cheat less the rest of the week...and twice a week, I get a cookie(never buy a bx of cookies, or you'll eat the whole box, only buy one cookie at a time, thats key:))

I also go to the gym twice a week (once a week -an hour- wih a personal trainer guy - he busts my butt if I'm not eating well) and two other days, I walk outside my house for 2-3 miles...

this is the best diet ive seen on here besides what everyone else is eating. :-)

moonlessbraclet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlessbraclet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 6:41pm

Ok Im not an expert but in the past year and a half I have lost 89 pounds. Due to the fact that when I saw a pic of myself I realized how over wieght I was. I did it the right way , natrually. Please dont starve yourself ! Eating right is a start but you have to menatlly prepare yourself that this isnt an overnight results thing. It takes time and lots of hard work. You may need to change up your workouts , eat more thats for sure. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Cut out the sugar if you can. Or at least cut back. Above all you want to be healthy !

fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 9:24pm

Originally posted by kateadreena kateadreena wrote:

if you eat less than 1000 calories per day your body goes into shock and starts STORING fat.

This is on the same lines I was thinking, but as far as calorie intake every body is different so what works for one may not work for someone else. However, this is true -- what ever you do -- do not starve yourself, you have to eat something, small as it may be you must put something in your body. When you don't just as Katedreena says your body believes you are starving so to preserve itself it STORES FAT, so your defeating your purpose.

Also drink water, water, water, it makes a huge difference, another factor is red meat, you don't have to stop eating red meat, or pork and things like that, but if you eat alot of it try cutting it down to once a week and eat only a lil or no carbs with it.

I don't do the 5 small meals, it doesn't work for me plus my schedule doesn't allow it, so I eat 2 regular meals and 1 small meal. All white protein, fish, chicken, (baked/no skin) w/ veggies. "IF" I want to have a snack/junk, I eat it right after my meal, I don't snack in between meals, unless it's fruit or I'll drink coffee or tea, had to lay off the pop/soda.

I agree with the person that said once you get a certain age it just doesn't come off as easy, (I know that personally) but it will come off, it takes time and patience, we are our own biggest critics, so even if you don't see the results doesn't mean the results are not there. Don't check your weight everyday or every week, that's discouraging. I stayed the same weight for the longest but I was adding muscle and losing inches, I didn't see that way all I saw was the scale said the same thing.

So don't lose hope and don't give up, one pound lost is one pound gone and one pound closer to your goal! Keep at it and it'll keep coming off!   

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic