Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flip flops are for the shower!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flip flops are for the shower!
    Posted: June 10 2003 at 9:38pm
What's up with the trend of wearing cheap flip flops absolutely everywhere?

Even pretty-high-up people at my office wear them. As a matter of fact, last summer I was in my cubicle and I hear flip flop flip flop coming my way. I was dead sure it was my friend Samantha, another bottom feeder like me who was always sneaking up on me and teasing me about all kinds of stuff.

So I thought I would tease her first for once and say "On your way to a shower at the YMCA, Sam?" without even turning around. Glad I turned around to look first! It was one of the VPs of our division, who would NOT have been amused. This woman does not have a sense of humor. (This is not my current VP boss, who is cool and has the long hair. )

ANYWAY. I'm all for wearing flip flops on a quick trip to the store... but all day at work with your nice career clothes??? What is UP with this?

Flip flops are what you wear in public showers so you don't catch someone else's athlete's foot or Plantar's Warts. Please don't wear them to the office! Hearing flip flop flip flop past my desk drives me up the wall.

Feel free to disagree, of course.
I just have a really strong opinion in this matter.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 12:34am
I think the flip-flop thing really has to be really casual wear. ie, shorts or jeans, tank, flip-flops, I can live with.. but usually these should be the thick flip-flops that will actually survive walking on the sidewalk

wearing a knee-length skirt, button down top (classic business casual wear) and thin black flip-flops just doesn't work right. I actually saw this.

It's similar to how at some events one should wear closed toe shoes and at others, one can wear open toe shoes. People don't seem to get it these days.
3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2003 at 10:21am
No kidding, I can't believe what some of the younger teachers are wearing! I mean, it's one thing when flip-flops, etc. are worn by the kids, but wouldn'tcha think that *professionals* would want to distinguish themselves from the student body?

Well, maybe not. It sure makes some of us wonder why the principal doesn't say something...well, then he'd have to say something about hip-huggers and small tees which are cute but not really work appropriate. I mean, we want the students' attention, but not like this! It makes for some great eavesdropping passing through the halls, though!

Darnit, Grover, thanks a bunch for saying something about this forum on the LH board! You're such an enabler hee, hee!

Smiles,

Jean
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2003 at 7:46pm
I wear flip flops all the time but they are the ones with the platform soles (which I think are dressier) AND I would never, ever wear them in a professional situation. I have them in all colors to match my casual clothes and I am always on the look out for new ones. I live in hot south Florida and telecommute for work so they have become something of a uniform for me year round. But in my office we aren't even allowed to wear shoes with open toes or go without hose. I think those are good rules personally but I am awfully glad I don't spend too much time in the office.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
GadgetMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 1:30pm
Has anyone ever seen the flip-flops that lace up the leg. I bought a pair off ebay this spring. The have three little grommets molded into the jelly type base, and you can thread whatever you want through. Mine have a black base and i put thin black satin ribbon through. They actually look very nice, and are a lot dressier then normal flip-flops. A little off topic, sorry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 2:00pm
No Gadget, I'm having a hard time even picturing that. Sounds cool though. I love ankle/calf ties.

That would eliminate the obnoxious flip flop flip flop noise, no? It's not the style I object to, it's that flip flop noise that to me is like fingernails on a chalkboard. So irritating!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
crazzzycait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazzzycait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 2:40pm
I'm addicted to flip flops..I wear them allllllllll summer long..and the only time I wore them in the shower was when I was in Mexico. Although, I don't wear them at formal occasions.

<3 <3 <3 flip flops!
escucha el ritmo de tu corazon...te amo. <3 caiter tot
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 12:58am
Originally posted by GadgetMouse GadgetMouse wrote:

Has anyone ever seen the flip-flops that lace up the leg. I bought a pair off ebay this spring. The have three little grommets molded into the jelly type base, and you can thread whatever you want through. Mine have a black base and i put thin black satin ribbon through. They actually look very nice, and are a lot dressier then normal flip-flops. A little off topic, sorry

i had something like that in 9th grade! i loved them!! i had a black base and also a white base. i had just about every color lace to go with every outfit LOL! hey i didn't get best dress in high school for nothing wasn't that the whole point of going to school? LOL i'm kiddng! in high school i had to get up at 5!
GadgetMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 11:14am
You're correct Grover, the tied ones dont go "flip smack flop" all the time.

And I have to agree with you Monica, high school is mostly about looking good...I dont know why else I would go. Hehehe.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 5:21pm
I am a recent convert. I used to say "I hate things between my toes!"

Then, not that long ago, I went for my first pedicure (I had always done them at home myself) and they gave me flip flops to borrow because I hadn't planned on a pedicure and had arrived in sneakers. I wore them for the rest of the day and LOVED them, even though they were size 10 and I'm 7.5! A few days later I was in a drug store and flip flops were 50% off. I got this gorgeous blue striped pair for three bucks! I adore them now and have since purchased another.

On the weddings sites, I have seen these "just married" flip flops. They are so cute. The left one leaves an impression in the sand that says "just" and the right one leaves an impression "married". They are white of course. They make black ones for grooms. I think I might get them, I wish someone would get them for a shower gift, I think I will hint to my fiancee.

Some girls on theknot.com claim they will wear them under their gowns! Now that's just going too far!

Elissa
[/url]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 10:16pm
OMG. :)

I am shaking my head back and forth, but I am smiling.

... I had wanted the "Just married" rhinestone bikini, but it was like $90. Too much for me to spend on something for just the honeymoon. I thought about BeDazzling my own, but that would have required purchasing a BeDazzler. I don't think I could stoop that low. :) Besides, that wouldn't have been cheap either.
OK when your tangent is longer than your post, it's time to quit.
bluebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 8:55pm
My daughter must have 50 pairs of flip flops, I trip over them all the time! She wears them all the time except work and dressy.

The flip flop noise doesn't bother me in the least. I actually never thought of it, now I will though! My MIL wears them year round too.

A friend of mine was a bridesmaid, they all wore flipflops with flowers hot glued to the straps...the bride did too. She showed me pictures, they WERE cute.

crazzzycait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazzzycait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by bluebee bluebee wrote:

A friend of mine was a bridesmaid, they all wore flipflops with flowers hot glued to the straps...the bride did too. She showed me pictures, they WERE cute.

How adorable! I think I would do that at the reception, but my family is too conservative to do that at the main event.
escucha el ritmo de tu corazon...te amo. <3 caiter tot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic