Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What's the deal with the new REALLY pointy toed heels?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's the deal with the new REALLY pointy toed heels?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the deal with the new REALLY pointy toed heels?
    Posted: July 11 2003 at 9:05am
I've been wanting to start a thread about this since the hair board started, but never had a picture to reference. Now I finally have one. Hope the link works:
http://www.expressfashion.com/style/denim_lounge/jeans_w.jsp?navid=1.1.1.1.3.0

I see those shoes all over NYC. They must be more comfy, because the point doesn't start til past where the toe ends. So there isn't nearly as much toe-squish.
But they make your feet look huge! I guess that's why they're often worn with flare pants like the model has on. Covers much of your foot.

These really aren't that bad. I've seen some pairs that square off at the tip. They look like witch shoes!

Also, this kind of shoe usually has alot of toe cleavage. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The jeans are awesome though! I love Express.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 9:24am
I don't see many of those shoes on people here in Michigan...just in the stores, unbought. Personally I think they are an ugly, forlorne creation that should be banished the nearest clearance rack immediately! I would feel like an elf in those kind...and when I wear jeans it sure as heck ain't with heels! Give me a cute rounded-toe pump any day or night.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 10:56am
I'll bet that everyone will be wearing them in a couple of years. When the platform shoes came back in style a few years ago I thought no one would ever wear them again because they were so funny looking and those of us who wore them the first time around thought they were ridiculous. But, I was wrong and I am even wearing modified versions myself. Everything seems to go in cycles.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
GadgetMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 3:56pm
I was shopping today and I saw shoes like this all over the place. Having big feet already, I dont want to emphasize it, so I dont think I would ever wear shoes like these.
Trillion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 8:54pm
OUCH! those look painful!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 9:46pm
I see them all over the city, too. They scream "Italian-Expensive"!

I personally don't like them. They look like they would hurt. And I like my feet to look small (they're 7.5 but I'd prefer them to be even smaller.) I don't like they way they extend the foot size.

Elissa
[/url]

LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 10:32pm
Ouch!!

They are suppose to lengthen the leg. But I would rather keep my short legs.

Those stayed in style for many many years. Have you ever seen women over 45 with those bunyons on there feet and the squished up toes. The toes are all crossed over each other...yuck!!
They always say it is from wearing those pointed toed pumps for years.

Ouch!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 9:00am
I wear a size 10 1/2 and I would feel like BIGFOOT (aka Sasqwatch) in those shoes. I would never wear something like that.
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 11:53pm
Caramia! Your location! That's hilarious!

I have size 10 feet, too. So any shoes that can make feet look small are a big bonus. I do have 1 or 2 pairs... one is a Doc Marten imitation that I always get compliments on. Some people even say "Gee you have small feet!" and I laugh. It's because the shoes have a really wide toe that kind of bubbles up for wiggle room.

Ahem... anyway I digress. I have never tried on super-pointy shoes like that, but I almost wonder if they'd be a little more comfy. Because I think the point doesn't start forming until past where the toes have ended. So there isn't so much squeezing together.
That's why this kind of high heel usually shows more toe cleavage than old-school pumps.

I always want to ask ladies I see wearing them how comfy they are... but then they usually have a bad-ass "don't talk to me" persona about them. Or maybe I'm just wimpy.

Oh and you're right! It's so gross when old ladies have mashed-together toes. My Birkenstock wearing self is determined to not be that way when I'm 90.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 11:11am
Ditto the OUCH!!! I've never been the dresser up kind...unless I have to..special events, etc. Dressy for me is fav sundress and yes those Birks!!

SuperGrover have you found that after getting into wearing Birks that they somehow seem to go with most anything and that you choose them over most other shoes?!?! *LOL* I certainly have that problem. I started with one pair of them...now have progressed to 4..and to say I love them all is an understatement!! Seems they have ruined my feet for all other shoes. Except during fall/winter then I swap over to Docs..but sometimes find myself with the Birks yet again..with big oversized sweater, and nifty matching sweater-socks *lol*

Thoughts, comments?
Maura View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2003 at 1:44pm
I see those shoes everywhere as well. I have taken to calling them witch shoes beacuse I think they look like the kind of shoes a fairytale witch would wear.
-Maura

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2003 at 9:45pm
LOL! Me too! Witch shoes!
NewOrleansLady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOrleansLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 2:14am
I think that the right person can pull those shoes off. I, however, know that I am not that person. I will choose comfort over style anyday and those just don't look comfotable.
"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but, wish we didn't."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Mylissa Mylissa wrote:

Ditto the OUCH!!! I've never been the dresser up kind...unless I have to..special events, etc. Dressy for me is fav sundress and yes those Birks!!

SuperGrover have you found that after getting into wearing Birks that they somehow seem to go with most anything and that you choose them over most other shoes?!?! *LOL*

OOOPS! Sorry about the delayed reaction. Zzzzzzzz. I snooze a lot.

Well... I did used to wear them all the time, 3 seasons a year. But now, working in a New York office, surrounded by designer ladies.... I feel I must wear heels or at least nice dress shoes to work. Tee hee, some ladies I work with even wear the super-pointy shoes that started this thread!
I do occasionally wear Birks to work, but I almost always regret it because I get self-concious about my frumpy looks around everyone else at work. And also, my Birks smell. I am shipping them off on Saturday to be recreated! Which is what they call it when they take the leather part off and put on a whole new footbed/sole. I can't wait to get them back!!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2003 at 12:47pm
[QUOTE=LiliBeach]
Those stayed in style for many many years. Have you ever seen women over 45 with those bunyons on there feet and the squished up toes. The toes are all crossed over each other...yuck!!
They always say it is from wearing those pointed toed pumps for years.

I am over 45 and I do not have bunions or deformed feet, and yes I did wear those shoes. The trick is to get them at least a half size larger than you ordinarily wear so that your toes don't get scrunched up in the pointy part of the shoe. Bad news for those of us with huge feet. They can look like boats.
whitney_brett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 12:38pm
i bought an imitation pair once and the sides had an elastic band between the sole and the leather of the shoe so that it had some give. The shoes I bought were actually very comfortable. I got lots of compliments on them. I guess they're the kind of shoes that everyone sees but nobody has....except me and my $10 imitation pair!! Wee!
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2003 at 4:15pm
the point of a really point toe shoe is if somebody really piss you off it would be a good shoe to kick them with
ok bad monica!
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 5:34pm
I was watching Today on NBC this morning, and they were doing a fall fashion show. The rounded toe shoes seem to be back (it was featured in one of the outfits).
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2003 at 12:38pm
Ahhhh...the mystery is solved. I saw a small tip about the pointy toed shoe in First Magazine. They pointed out (no pun intended) that when worn with the super flared pants and jeans it gives the leg a slimmer, elongated appearance.

Now I used to LOVE the pointy toed shoes and actually wore them when I graduated from high school under my gown. What WAS I thinking? And yes, I have a nice little bunion to show for it. They do look good in the right setting BUT they hurt like hell if not fit properly.

I personally love the open toed shoes. Cameron Diaz wore a pair of open toed shoes that had a clear strap and heal and was fairly high. It really made her legs look amazing.

Great topic. Brings backs lots of memories.

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 7:20pm
I agree with you Karen about the open toe shoes. I hardly have any closed up shoes anymore. Just a couple of pairs of pumps to go with my pantyhose that I have to wear on the rare occasions that I have to go to my corporate office. And I really suffer on those days. The only other ones I have are exercise shoes and my beloved Steve Madden boots for the two weeks of winter we have here in S. Florida. I guess I need to buy a pair of pointy toe boots (I have seen tons of them for fall this year) to go with my jeans. I do think that looks good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic