Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Embarrassing Scar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Embarrassing Scar
    Posted: August 27 2003 at 2:07am
I have some kind of scar or birthmark or something at the top of my chest, and it's been there as long as I can remember. It's got a pink or red tone to it (how red seems to vary, not sure why) and kind of shaped like a little scoop has been taken out of the skin. In the past, people asked me if it were a hickey, which led me to try to keep it covered with clothing all the time since. I'd really like to wear whatever shirts I want no matter the neckline, but with this mark I don't feel free to do that. I've tried covering it up with concealer or other make-up, and that disguises the red, but the indentation is still obvious. . . just looks like someone tried to cover a hickey with concealer. *sweatdrops* Is there some type of product or surgical procedure that might help? Any estimation of cost or availability? I've had this problem all my life and would like to finally be rid of it, even if I had to save for it.
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2003 at 7:38am
I have a scar on my stomach...from emergency surgery two years ago for a perforated ulcer. It starts about one inch above my navel and goes up about five inches. This being two years now..it's finally beginning to smooth out, tho has seemed to widen some...it's still very tender..it's about 1/2" wide...I have tried the Mederma topical gel..didn't work well for me..though you may want to try, it's an over the counter thing. I've had the best luck with pure vitamin E oil, I got it at GNC, it's pricey, 9.99, but it's not thick and sticky, and spreads easily, and is well absorbed.

I'm sure I've not been much help, but wanted you to know you're not alone in the way you feel. I am lucky tho in the fact that mines not visible unless I'm in a bathing suit, which at first was very, very hard for me. I'd worked so hard to get my abs in shape, then the surgery that left such a visible scar. But with time I've worked past it, and now when I feel weirded out about baring it, I just stop and think...if not for that surgery I'd not be alive today.

I wish you the best...if you find something that works for you, please let me know. You might want to consider some of the over the counter options, trial and error...what works for some doesn't always work for everyone. You may also want to keep as an option seeing a dermatologist as a first step in seeking professional help; and what info/options they might offer.

Gotta get to work now. Hang in there!!
Mylissa
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2003 at 11:54pm
How bout an attractive tattoo to cover it! Might be sexy! Is that possible for you? Tattoos, if you pick the right one can be very attractive!!!
tina
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2003 at 12:01am
Well, for my case I dunno if that would be an option. It would hurt a lot to have one done on the shallow skin where my scar is, and I think the way it's indented might cause some problems or limitations to what could be done, too? *wonders*
More awesome than a manatee!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 12:11pm
I have a bit of experience with scars as my daughter was in a very bad boat accident three years ago and has a huge scar across one knee and bad scarring on her ankle (on the outside) on her other leg. She is very sensitive about them (people here in Florida constantly ask her if it is a shark bite) and she has undergone multiple surgical procedures to make them less glaring.

The ankle scar was kind of interesting in that it started out as a skin graft since a big chunk of skin and muscle was missing. When the graft healed there was a "divit" that was about five inches long and maybe 3/4" across which was kind of indented. Once it was completely healed the plastic surgeon pulled one side up so then the divit was smaller. After that one healed he pulled the other side down to meet it. So the divit itself was then gone but they needed to fill in the indentation that was still left so they used what they called a dermal fat transfer. They sucked some fat out of her abdomen (she had them do extra in a liposuction procedure) and transferred it into the scar to plump it out. It worked pretty well but she might need it one more time since they don't know the exact amount of fat to put in because some of it will be absorbed. The recovery was very simple too. I know this is long but that might work for you. Consult a plastic surgeon. Hers has all been covered by insurance too.

The other thing to consider is laser surgery. Again, consult a plastic surgeon. We went to see one here in Florida who wasn't too hopeful but he did say that they are constantly making improvements in what they can do.

She is planning a tatoo on her ankle when she turns 18. That might work out pretty well. The knee will have at least one more revision in December of this year before she decides what to do there. Maybe a zipper tatoo???

I am NOT a fan of tatoos but in this kind of circumstance I think they may have some merit.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 8:11am
I am NOT a fan of tatoos but in this kind of circumstance I think they may have some merit.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure this is a bit off topic...however the more I think about it...the more bugged I become over this statement. I happen to have three tatoos...all tastefully done...regret none of them...put lots of thought into each of them before I ever did it. 'in this kind of circumstance I think they may have some merit' ??? One word comes to mind
hypocritical. If your daughter wanted the tatoo NOT to cover a scar you'd not approve? What's that imply by your way of thinking about the rest of us who have them simply because we wanted them for whatever reasons?

Mylissa
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 10:42am
Mylissa,
I am merely stating my opinion, as I have every right to do. As a baby boomer I guess I am a member of the "establishment" and the "establishment" in general doesn't approve of tattoos. That is neither right or wrong, it just the way it is right now. It doesn't mean that there isn't a paradigm shift taking place right now and that the next generation's "establishment" won't think tattoos represent bikers and trailer trash. But that is what they represent to a majority of my generation and I don't know how much that perception can be changed by the more general acceptance of "tattoos as fashion" that seems to prevail among younger people.

I am not judging those who have tattoos, but I do not like them for many reasons. I am sure you don't want to hear my whole long winded diatribe but I will tell you this. I didn’t really want my daughter to get tattoos but she already has three that are hidden by her underwear. The fact that I do not approve doesn’t mean that I love her any less. She got them at the age of 15 without my knowledge, which is illegal, but following the law doesn’t seem to be a priority in many of the tattoo parlors that cater to her and her underage friends. This bothers me a lot as it seems to indicate a sort of sleazy willingness take advantage of young kids just for the money. It would lead me to whether sterilization techniques and other requirements are also being overlooked.

I also know that what you think is fabulous at 21 is NOT what you will think is fabulous at 41. And I am experiencing the skin changes that occur as a natural part of the aging process. I think tattoos in strategic places could be stretched beyond recognition (and my daughter's plastic surgeon says they are).

I know from working in corporate America for 25 years that there is a certain amount of conformity required for most of us who want to make a living and that tattoos are not in a good category if you are looking for a job or promotion. That does depend on your profession of course but I think that the vast majority of us working stiffs out here don't get to call our own shots. Tattoos are still associated with Jerry Springer's show, MTV, and movie stars. Those people either never aspired to any kind of steady, upwardly mobile income or don't have to conform because they are rich and famous.

So please don't judge me for not liking tattoos. My daughter will probably end up with a visible one on her ankle and that is fine. Her plastic surgeon was consulted about it and he said the skin can take it. I will also make sure that wherever she goes to get it follows proper sanitary procedures. I would hate for that to be a deterrant to a future career (she wants to be an attorney) or that others who don't know and love her would judge her incorrectly because she has a tattoo but that is something she will have to deal with.

I try hard not to see the speck in the other person's eye when I have a log in my own. My motto in life is "to each his own." I just know how the world is and doing something like getting a tattoo can make it just a bit harder in the long run.

Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 11:06am
*Smiles* Good enough....now that I have been able to see a bit further into where your thoughts/feelings/opinions come from...I agree with many of the points you have made, not that I believe the same; but that in that they seem to hold true. The way things are in this world doesn't necessarily make them right...people prejudged, tossed into a stereotyped bunch because of certain choices they have made for whatever reasons.

The fact that you are open to discussion on the subject...and that you seem to a point to see both sides of the issue is a good thing. I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate.

Good luck to you and your daughter with the scar/tatoo thing. I hope whatever she chooses that it turns out well for her.

Mylissa
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 4:05pm
Thank you. I still get the heebie jeebies thinking about tattoos but to each his own. I was considering getting permanent make up until my husband reminded me that permanent wasn't something I might like in a few years. I tend to get bored easily.
Gollan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gollan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 4:11pm
Kuroneko, my advice is to consult a plastic surgeon to get an estimate. If it is a simple procedure you may be surprised at how little it costs. I had a similar blemish on my face that bothered me for many years. As a guy I was able to grow a beard and hide it but last fall I finally decided to go see a plastic surgeon about it. He told me he could remove the blemish right then and there in the office! He numbed my face and it didn't hurt a bit. It only took about twenty minutes. I now have a thin, practically invisible line instead of an ugly blemish. It cost me $200 US and it was one of the the best things I've ever done for myself. I put off going to a plastic surgeon for years thinking that it would mean I'm vain or thinking that it was too small to bother about. It turns out that this is one of the most common procedures. I suggest you give a plastic surgeon a visit.
sharonanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharonanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2004 at 9:52am
I'm a baby boomer with a master's in admin and I have a tattoo. It's on the back of my head underneath my hair. I got it to celebrate completing chemotherapy. My husband shaved his head when I was bald and he also has a tattoo on his head which he got for the same reason.

I'm in line to get another as part of the reconstruction process.

All tattoos are not created equal.
tennischick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tennischick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 9:29pm
try these tip for ur scars they work wonders for me
use cocoa butter everymorning and night and whenever it gets dry and also vitamin e oil u can get that at ur local drug store it really works well i recently burned my self on a motorcyle(not bad) but i hav been using both and they work well
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2004 at 7:54am
I know a lot of people who have an unwritten policy that they will not hire anyone with a visable tatoo (or even multiple visable piercings). Doesn't mean that it is right (or even strictly legal but who would know) but it is a fact of life. Until baby boomers are out of positions of power and setting corporate style, I don't expect that to change a whole lot. As I stated in my much earlier post, I think there is a paradigm shift occurring but it will take a generation to become complete.
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 6:49pm
Most employers don't care if you have a small nosestud or a small tattoo on your arm.

If you are heavily tattooed or pierced that is different. You would then need to cover your tattoos with clothes as you suggested, and take out excessive amount of jewelry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic