Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My hair during pregnancy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My hair during pregnancy
    Posted: June 09 2003 at 12:16am
Well I have been pregnant once, I have a 5 year old girl.
My skin didn't break out nor did I notice my hair falling out.
But just before I got pregnant I cut most of my hair off-(I was with a guy who liked short hair on women at that time and I had decided by then I wanted short hair anyway)-...... so I didn't have much hair to lose anyway.-(Tee hee!!!)-..
I have known quite a few women who have been pregnant. I never noticed any of them going bald.
I think it's mostly an old wives tale that a fair number of women go bald when pregnant.

The only bald women I have ever seen pregnant are the singers Sinead O'Conner and Michelle N'dgeocello, and they shaved their heads!!!.
tina
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 1:23am
Actually, if you do research, you will find that there are some wonderful hormones during pregnancy that stimulate hair growth. Unfortunately, ~ six months after childbirth, you lose that hair.

Of course, no one has ever gone bald during or after pregnancy (due to pregnancy itself). But it is extremely common that hair thins out after pregnancy because those pregnancy hormones are no longer present. It's merely a temporary situation, however!
dermd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dermd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2003 at 3:46am
Hi Tina, I'm new to this forum (forums in general as a matter of fact) so please excuse mistakes. I saw this post and was wondering if it was a reply to someone else's comment or just a thought you put out there to discuss. The reason is I've had two pregnancies. During the first I had the typical increase in amount of hair, followed by the typical shedding 3-4 mos. after the baby was born. During my second pregnancy, however, I lost hair (odd place - on sides of head before ears) and have never gotten it back. I do have a history of female pattern hair loss which started early in life but was just wondering if there were others who actually lost hair during pregnancy, I've never heard of that and always thought I was the exception.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2003 at 9:08pm
Hi DermD.
I was actually replying to Karen's above post starting this board. She is one of the people who runs Hair Talk Forum.

Maybe if your hair didn't grow back in certain places you have alopecia. Some women lose all of their hair to alopecia and are totally bald. Others just lose some hair.

Have you consulted with a medical expert? I have heard that sometimes they can do something about alopecia and other times they can't. It might be worth checking out with a medical expert.
tina
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic