Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Shaving Baby's Head For Better Permanent Hair Growth?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaving Baby's Head For Better Permanent Hair Growth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jo Anne View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaving Baby's Head For Better Permanent Hair Growth?
    Posted: June 09 2003 at 10:51am
I have heard this from so many people. The idea is that you are supposed to shave your baby's head to remove all the baby hair that is the "fuzz" and if you do this, you can get the baby's "adult" hair to grow in thicker and better. This seems so nuts but so many people have told me this. Is this for real?

I know there are a lot of stylists here so I hope you can give your viewpoints on if this is good or not.

Thanks.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 1:13pm
Now, let's think logically about this. Hair growth occurs on the inside of the head. If the hair that is sprouted from the head (the hair that we see) were to affect growth (that occurs under the surface of the scalp), there would have to be communication between the two. That would include nerve endings, and every time the hair was cut, it would HURT!

The only reason a baby's head should ever be shaved is if he needs surgery on the scalp.
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 11:36am
ok. I haven't heard about this. But, I've heard that baby hair falls out anyway. The initial hairs, I guess it's the "fuzz" that you're referring to, will usually fall out to let "real" hair grow, or when the hair grows the "fuzz" will slowly fall out.

I think this website explains it well:
Baby Hair Loss
babs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 12:33pm
Hi Jo Anne,

Yes, I have seen this "idea" on several sites about babies and their hair. Most people debunk this as a myth but I know it goes around.

Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 6:21pm
It may be true, may be false, but ask women who shave their legs. I'm sure it will initially come out faster, thicker, etc, but I believe the terminal length won't be affected, the growth will slowdown eventually.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Stephy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 1:54pm
Personally, I think this is nonsense (but I may be wrong, since I'm no expert). My baby was born with about an inch of hair, and had I cut it I don't think that it would have been down to her mid-back by her first birthday. I don't mean to brag (well, maybe I do), but her hair is very healthy and is growing beautifully.
I'm tired of all this nonsense about
beauty being only skindeep. That's
deep enough. What do you want, an
adorable pancreas? Jean Kerr
rosie13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 10:41pm
I'm a thirteen year old girl and my mum shaved my head when i was a baby... Now my hair is really really thick and I hate it. I don't know if its because of the shaving. But if i were you i'd leave it cause baby's look cute with soft little hair.
Goodluck!

rosie xx
gizmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2004 at 6:48pm
It's an old wives tale. Your type of hair is determined by genetics. Cutting your hair will not change the physical attributes of it--ie. make it grow faster, thicker, curlier, etc.

I didn't have "fuzz" on my head when I was born either. I had a full head of black thick hair--prolly an inch long. My 2nd sister was the same way and her hair is a lot like mine. My other three sisters had "fuzz" which is just baby fine hair...giving them that bald look. They all have fine, light colored hair now (one's a bright orangey redhead, one's blonde, and the youngest is copper red).
Tinkerbelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 12:48am

I have a little girl with lots of hair.  We are going to cut it /give her a trim so that it is all one length. 

I definitely wouldnt go to the extreme of shaving it!!!

DarkHelmet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkHelmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 1:24am

Yeah I also hear if you knock the baby's teeth out their adult teeth come in quicker.

Why do I get the feeling it's only a matter of time before there's tv progams called Extreme Makeover's for Babies.

Edited by DarkHelmet
ms tina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms tina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 9:14pm
i shaved my daughter hair a number 2 clipper at 5 months old....because it was really uneven and some parts was bald...but after i shaved her head her hair grew out nice and even...and no it didnt grow out thick! 
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 9:23am
Originally posted by DarkHelmet DarkHelmet wrote:

Yeah I also hear if you knock the baby's teeth out their adult teeth come in quicker.

It makes as much sense!  I hope no one reading this would ever really consider shaving their baby's head.  Sorry, but this is not only cruel but just really weird.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 3:10pm

I actually heard something even more ridiculous. That if you shave a baby's head before he is a year old, he will never learn to speak! LOLOLOLOLOL! I know, I had the same reaction. For what I understand that is myth that goes around among african americans. I don't know if that is true, or if other cultures believe that as well.

The truth is, baby's real hair usually starts to come in at about five months. Once you notice enough of his real hair has come in, then you can choose to cut off the remaining baby hair. If you have a baby with straight hair, it will be harder to tell the difference between the new "real hair" and the baby hair. My nephew's father has nappy hair. When my nephew was borned he had a full head of gorgeous straight hair. Alot of it. By the time he was five months, we could already feel the different textured hair coming in, under the soft baby hair. So when the two textures where visibly different, my sister knew it was time for a hair cut. I mean, it was already looking weird, nappy hair on the bottom, and soft straight hair on top. As much as it killed her, she took him to have the baby hair removed, and he was left with his natural nappier (although not as nappy as his father's thank God) Hair.

Hair is genetic. You can not make a baby's hair thicker, more abundant, or grow any faster by shaving their head. So please don't turture your poor baby. He will have to go throug enough trauma growing up LOL. Let him keep his hair until mother nature takes its course naturally.
meg77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meg77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 2:43pm
This is a very ridiculous old wive's tale.  In fact, my mother in law shaved off my sister in law's hair completelty hoping it would get stronger.  She is now 25 and her hair is still very fine and fragile.  The only things my SIL got from this is constant teasing from other children - I believe she was 5 when my MIL did this to her!
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 1:48pm
SHE WAS 5!!!? OMG that poor little thing. I can just imagine the horror.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic