Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HAIR BIBLE REVIEW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
KISAWA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KISAWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HAIR BIBLE REVIEW
    Posted: July 02 2003 at 11:38am
Hi girls,
I just read the hair bibles from philip Kingsley and I must say that what I read was quite confusing.
He advises to shampoo daily, even the length, hum hum don't know what to think!!
He advices NOT to brush your hair but rather COMB it . He says that even a Pure bristle brush would cause damage on the hair shaft. And then he shows some pictures of damaged hair:yucky!!
Does not say a word about using oil daily on your hair......
BUT the great thing about this book is the ingredient listing at the end of it. This is very complete and very useful!!

Anyone read those books from Kingsley?????
Cora View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 12:10pm
Hi,

Thanks for the review. I read the very first book by Kingsley which is Hair: An Owner's Guide. It was good but I agree that it had conflicting information. I know that Kingsley is highly respected for his knowledge as a trichologist.

Anyway, thanks for the scoop.

Edited by Karen Shelton - January 22 2011 at 8:05am
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 12:15pm
I'm confused -- Amazon said it "was" published in September 2003, yet it seems to be available now. Odd....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1854109065/qid=1057166605/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_6/104-9021486-4120743?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

However, I think it should be noted that if anyone wishes to buy haircare books, it helps Hair Boutique if you click on the link from this website to buy the book.

http://www.hairboutique.com/books/haircarebooks.htm
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 12:31pm
I skim read the Hair Bible in 15 mins in a bookshop last month.

I kept coming across poor hair care advice so decided not to buy it.

Thanks for confirming my viewpoint.
Uzi

KISAWA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KISAWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 2:24pm
Hi Jennifer,
I wish I could buy on the site but I live in belgium and the problem is that : or it takes forever to be delivered OR the shipping is killing.......
Soooo.....
The next one I'm gonna read is: "Andre talks hair"
Hopefully it is less confusing!!
I wish a WOMAN with long hair writes a book about GROWING long hair!!
I would buy it in a minute and I would not be the only one
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 3:25pm
Kisawa, oh I don't blame you a bit for not ordering overseas. Customs and postage are definitely biting! Since someone else gave the URL to a book you can buy at Amazon (albeit, used), I thought if somebody decided to purchase it, it would be nice to go through Hair Boutique (it won't cost any more) to help support the website.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 3:32pm
PS -- I've also read, "Andre Talks Hair." It's an interesting book, but in my opinion, it isn't at all controversial or terribly informative because it speaks so generally about hair. I am glad that I read it, but practically speaking, I didn't feel there was a lot for long haired women in it. When reading beauty and hair books, I prefer information that is very precise and applicable.

Oh, one thing that he said that I felt odd is that hot rollers are worse for your hair than a curling iron! My hot rollers are felt and once they're in my hair, the heat cools down. However, a curling iron has the hair against metal directly and it doesn't cool down when it's on your hair! So, how on earth hot rollers can be worse for your hair is a mystery to me. If someone can explain that one, I'll certainly listen!
KISAWA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KISAWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2003 at 6:33am
YEP!! That's funny!! But you know what? IMO that book is written by a man (again) and I bet he does not put hot rollers is his OWN hair often......
*~earthangel*~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2007 at 3:37pm
I didnt like his advice. I didnt make it straight through the book. I would not recommend this book
My Fotki

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/24680082][/ur
xaimeex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xaimeex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 8:45pm
thanks for the review
Cparkinson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cparkinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2009 at 3:22pm
I have read this "bible" too and thought it was more than an adequate source of information to anyone is passionate about hair care. It does get confusing though when we keep hearing different opinions about best hair-care practices.
juliasmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliasmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2009 at 3:02am
Only few things in it are good rest of the book is crap

shannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 4:58pm

I am an extension technician and read this book as part of my research.  At first I wasn't very impressed and I did feel he gave conflicting advice but he was actually right about everything.  My hair is in much better condition now and I am able to pass on this advice to my clients.  Moisturising your hair with frequent washes was quite a revelation as well as the fact that you shoud only use rubber brushes.  I'd give it 8/10 losing points for lack of clarity in areas.

Edited by Karen Shelton - January 22 2011 at 8:07am
brandybellow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandybellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2009 at 11:20pm
Trichologist... thanks, I just learned a new word. I haven't read his book, but I think I may have to take a look. I wonder what he thinks of my new instyler?

Edited by brandybellow - September 14 2009 at 11:24pm
kosovohp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kosovohp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 9:29am
 thanks for your post , nice to meet everybody :D
Deloris1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deloris1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2010 at 5:21am
The hairstyles are beautiful.Thanks for sharing the review.
dossywigs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dossywigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 10:55pm

Yes this is a very good book.  I enjoyed it very much.

Edited by Karen Shelton - August 21 2010 at 6:58am
dossywigs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dossywigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 10:57pm
I love to read about hair.  Thanks for the book review.

Best Regards ,

Lisa

Edited by Karen Shelton - January 22 2011 at 8:08am
050607clh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 050607clh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 2:18am
Good hair with good products to protect · ·
milerwark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milerwark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 10:33pm
I must agree it was quite confusing.

Edited by Karen Shelton - January 22 2011 at 8:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic